T4Rick
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 16:21
Can you raise boost on the v70 me7 at all with upseting the car

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 16:24
I think only by about 0.5-0.8 psi before it retards the throttle. :(

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 16:31
Depending on the age of the actuator - you can wind it on a bit - to stop wastegate creep. That will give you some more umph.

Is it remapped? Only real way is to increase the boost map.

What is your max boost set to now? Do you have a gauge?

T4Rick
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 16:40
Hi its an x plod car im picking the car up in a few weeks as i have no where to store it just now.It does have a boost gauge and i think its at std boost with a sporty cat back exhaust.Im wondering what my next step is to make more bhp.At the moment it has a dicky etm but was changed in 2006 so my mate thinks it may just need a clean,im hoping thats the case anyway

simpT5
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 16:42
Can you raise boost on the v70 me7 at all with upseting the car

I wound my actuator in a bit on mine, it now boosts to about 14psi with no probs :D

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 16:45
Boost is dictated by the map. You can make it more aggressive by winding the actuator rod maybe by 1 turn (depending on age).

you can run better fuel & just tidy it up a bit. ME7 is on demand so some of the classic mods (MBC) only have limited application.

word of warning - don't over do the actuator or you will blow up your engine.

T4Rick
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 16:48
I wound my actuator in a bit on mine, it now boosts to about 14psi with no probs :D

How did you get that with out upsetting the car?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 16:56
Essentially I think that it is nearly so tight that the poor ECU can't open it?? Am I right?

Not recommended, as God only knows how hot stuff is getting - or what the AFRs are like.

T4Rick
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 17:39
Essentially I think that it is nearly so tight that the poor ECU can't open it?? Am I right?

Not recommended, as God only knows how hot stuff is getting - or what the AFRs are like.

Rofl.Whats the most the std injectors take and what size are they?are they 315cc?my old t4 was 312

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 19:08
Is it P1 ME7 or P2? Mine retards the throttle and throws a code when the actuator is over tightened (well it did a few times any who)
I just put a boost-o-meter on mine today and it made 10psi between 3k and 4.5k rpm. So I'll be watching this thread with interest ;)

deathrider311271
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 19:39
Altho mine isnt a T5 its a 2.5T it is an ME7, as standard the 2.5T runs 4psi, i have been running mine at 8.5psi for nearly 18 months now as this is the highest i can run it without boost cut, if i wind it up to 9psi it cuts. So on that basis im assuming you would be able to get 4-5psi more by tightening the actuator but only turn it half a turn at a time. Please dont blame me if you blow your motor up, im just telling you what i have done and found

Simon

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 20:46
Worth noting. I think the T5 is set to 9psi so that would kinda make sense if you cant turn it up 1/2 a psi without trouble.

T4Rick
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 20:49
Is it P1 ME7 or P2? Mine retards the throttle and throws a code when the actuator is over tightened (well it did a few times any who)
I just put a boost-o-meter on mine today and it made 10psi between 3k and 4.5k rpm. So I'll be watching this thread with interest ;)

Hi Martin i have the phase 1 v70.I have lots of plans for it just not at once lol.If it turns out its to expensive to tune im gonna by pass me7 altogether which is easy.I will be moving house at the end of the month so the car is at my good friends house.When i get it first thing i need to attend to is the etm module.Its been replaced in 2006 with a later module but the problem is back some yrs later.If it just needs a clean then thats ok but long term im looking into by passing me7 for good to get away from this problem of etm.The one thing i will need in the upper coming weeks is an ecu from a manual 1994-1995 volvo 850,a cam sensor and maybe a lambda sensor,dizzy cap and rotor and leads,acclerator cable and throttle body.

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 21:02
Interesting. You are aware that; although a good idea, ME7 systems are linked to other parts of the car. On P2 cars, the speedo, cem and a few other parts like window switches are linked and wont work unless its all complete. Perhaps P1 stuff is a bit more forgiving.
Daza-b's V70 is ME7 and has a mbc, mine would throw a hissy fit.

T4Rick
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 21:21
I have the phase 1 v70.i still will be using the abs from the me7.Im also 99% certain that the speedo gets its signal from there as well.

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 21:33
Pretty sure it does, does on mine too :)

T4Rick
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 21:37
Some thing i have to ask is which wish bones do these phase 1 v70s use Martin?do i have to replace the whole arm or can i just replace the ball joint?

LeeT5
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 22:24
Nobody should be doing any adjustments or altering boost without first fitting a boost gauge and carrying out a stage '0' tune. Otherwise your taking a massive gamble and you'll not get optimum results.

M-R-P
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 22:35
Some thing i have to ask is which wish bones do these phase 1 v70s use Martin?do i have to replace the whole arm or can i just replace the ball joint?

Errrr, dunno. Have a look at it mate, should be the bolt-on type.

LeeT5
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 22:48

Wishbone comes complete with the ball joint. Replace the bushes with powerflex aswell.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 5th April 2012, 00:04
I was thinking about this. 14psi is still less than 1 bar - so that's only .2 bar over stock. So that about the limit you can introduce by winding up your wastegate. But still - At some point its gotta open.

I'd 1 go slow - buy a boost gauge & make sure that it all bears out, having done a proper service & ensure that all your BCS pipework is sorted & there are no leaks!

Then you can wind up the actuator - 1/2 a turn a go - see how it gets on. If it gets too aggresive then you will need to wind it off some - or you will boost spike the hell out of it.

I was able to get from 14.505 to 14.173 - just over 3 tenths by just tightening things by 1 whole turn.

So I am with Deathrider on this - be careful - don't go mad - and it's not my fault if your engine goes plink or you throw more codes than the Matrix.

T4Rick
Thursday 5th April 2012, 10:29
I was thinking about this. 14psi is still less than 1 bar - so that's only .2 bar over stock. So that about the limit you can introduce by winding up your wastegate. But still - At some point its gotta open.

I'd 1 go slow - buy a boost gauge & make sure that it all bears out, having done a proper service & ensure that all your BCS pipework is sorted & there are no leaks!

Then you can wind up the actuator - 1/2 a turn a go - see how it gets on. If it gets too aggresive then you will need to wind it off some - or you will boost spike the hell out of it.

I was able to get from 14.505 to 14.173 - just over 3 tenths by just tightening things by 1 whole turn.

So I am with Deathrider on this - be careful - don't go mad - and it's not my fault if your engine goes plink or you throw more codes than the Matrix.

I have a boost gauge already fitted Dave.I think its at 10 psi

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 5th April 2012, 10:54
Yep - that's pretty standard (the 10 psi).

I reached the point of no return on my ME7 many years ago - & combined with a stubborn belief that I could make the smoother on-demand system fast & powerful - well it has taken a while but I am getting there.

320bhp - 400NM from 3K - 5.5K - 14.1 second quarter - but yes you have to have a good map. I've had 4 so far.

T4Rick
Thursday 5th April 2012, 11:43
Yep - that's pretty standard (the 10 psi).

I reached the point of no return on my ME7 many years ago - & combined with a stubborn belief that I could make the smoother on-demand system fast & powerful - well it has taken a while but I am getting there.

320bhp - 400NM from 3K - 5.5K - 14.1 second quarter - but yes you have to have a good map. I've had 4 so far.

What map did you start with and what gains was there

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 5th April 2012, 13:04
It was a custom RICA map IIRC - I will have to hunt for the graphs.

T4Rick
Sunday 8th April 2012, 14:54
It was a custom RICA map IIRC - I will have to hunt for the graphs.

Was there a good gain from the rica map and where did you get it done

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 8th April 2012, 21:24
I seem to remember it was fine. I seem to rmember making about 285 WHP but I can't find the graph

adam b
Tuesday 10th April 2012, 16:44
For the §§§§§§ all you are going to gain i'd put your efforts into making it grip and handle better. :)