PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Doors

John Ret.
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 20:50
It only started yesterday and it's driving me insane.

The drivers door clicks twice, both on opening and closing.... My old peugeot did it too.

Please tell me there's an easy cure, before I start getting angry with a screwdriver.

:)

p fandango
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 21:04
i know on the 850's a common problem was the weld that holds door check strap (the bar that holds the door open) inside the door weakens & makes a clunking noise until it finally snaps (i've had to un-bolt mine becuase its done it)

rs_andy
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 22:19
undone mine too, speeds wanted £200 to fix it and I never got round to getting our local bodyshop to take a look. I expect its about £60-£70 worth to a normal place and its something you wont see so doesn't need to be fantastic....

I see replacement check strap thingies on ebay for 15.99 and wonder if they're worth a go, maybe not as stiff as the volvo ones?

it's just a bad design, instead of bolting the strap directly to the pillar they cut a hole in the pillar and weld a bit in the hole, eventually the weld snaps and it flaps backward and forward making that noise.

rs_andy
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 22:20
nice avatar pedro by the way, c montgomery toad

John Ret.
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 23:48
So how do I stop it making the noise?

Is there something I can take off, if so, what is it?

John Ret.
Thursday 8th September 2005, 17:04
i know on the 850's a common problem was the weld that holds door check strap (the bar that holds the door open) inside the door weakens & makes a clunking noise until it finally snaps (i've had to un-bolt mine becuase its done it)

Have you got any tips / photos of what I need to be taking off mate?

Thanks.

richeeroo
Thursday 8th September 2005, 17:50
mine too ! The weld has gone on the drivers door, tried to find a way of repairing but it's a pig to do, even bought new strap off Ebay but in the end just removed the complete strap from the door. To do this you need to take off the door card and speaker etc, time consuming but a relief on the earsnot to hear that clunking, just remember to open the door gently in future as it now opens a hell of a long way !!

p fandango
Thursday 8th September 2005, 18:23
Have you got any tips / photos of what I need to be taking off mate?
sorry my phones in for repair so can't take pics so i'll have to try & explain

open your door & you'll see a metal bar that slides in & out of the door as you open it, the other end is bolted to the pillar just below the end of the dash. All i did was un-bolt it there & make sure the metal plate doesn't stop the door closing properly

doing this tho will mean there is no tension on the door so wind & gravity will just make it swing open & could damage the bodywork if your not holding the door

John Ret.
Friday 9th September 2005, 12:17
Thanks Pedro.

So you don't have to take off the door card if you just disconnect it at the dash-side of the door?

p fandango
Friday 9th September 2005, 14:26
So you don't have to take off the door card if you just disconnect it at the dash-side of the door?
i didn't, i just un-bolted it & left it sticking out the door

John Ret.
Friday 9th September 2005, 16:32
Good stuff,

thanks again.

swordy21
Sunday 11th September 2005, 17:08
Mine did this too. Got replacement check strap from Salvo for about £25. Simple if fiddley thing to fix. Door cards off job, there's even a handy white plastic cover over the hole the check strap has to fit into (and come out of). Took about 15 mins.

nikgallagher
Monday 12th September 2005, 08:50
Mine turned out to just need tightening up. Check out the 'noisy door hinge' solution on volvospeed.com. Very useful.

Engineer
Monday 12th September 2005, 20:28
It only started yesterday and it's driving me insane.

The drivers door clicks twice, both on opening and closing.... My old peugeot did it too.

Please tell me there's an easy cure, before I start getting angry with a screwdriver.

:) Know the feeling, see threads in other query 3 QUESTIONS in this section, hope this helps. :gossip:

John Ret.
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 00:37
Fixed :)

Thanks.

fireclown
Thursday 4th May 2006, 22:37
have you seen this
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8706&highlight=check+strap

dicky b t5
Friday 5th May 2006, 07:41
have you seen this
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8706&highlight=check+strap
Yep, i can still say this is working well ......No clicking at all.