PDA

View Full Version : high pitched whining

mark20uk
Monday 3rd January 2005, 16:49
hi there everybody a have just bought a 1996 850 t 5 ex police its is great really quick just there is a hight pitched whine on it and not sure what it is does any one elses car sound like this

Tomcat
Monday 3rd January 2005, 17:26
Where abouts does the sound come from?, I have a similar problem with my ex-cop 850T5. Everynow and again I get a very faint high pitched wine that sounds like either air or fluid escaping at high pressure.Comes from somewhere near the back end...Hmmmm :shifty:

Goof
Monday 3rd January 2005, 17:35
hi there everybody a have just bought a 1996 850 t 5 ex police its is great really quick just there is a hight pitched whine on it and not sure what it is does any one elses car sound like this
Not married are you?
I get that from the Mrs when my wallet goes near the T5... :eek:

Justin
Monday 3rd January 2005, 17:58
Rotf @ Goof, you will probably find that its the turbo spooling up, some are louder than others, i thought mine was till i drove mrs mopps 850, that just sings to you all the time :)

Bracer
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 09:31
Yep sounds like Turbo Whistle to me :firedevil

LOL :wink:

mark20uk
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 21:10
ok a thought it might be a gear box or a clutch thank god it aint also while i was on the sight a was wondering about gettin it chipped i have heard theres a good one for £250 but dont know were to get it from and also a i was going to buy a dump valve ( bailey motosport) one and was wondering if any one had done it to theres if so any feed back. p.s am only 20 and its much faster then me mates corsas and caxos. lol

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 09:56
Hi Mark,

There are various types of power upgrades you can do. Persobally i would suggest an ecu upgrade rather than a chip. For your model you can get an ecu upgrade from around £280 for 275bhp or £290 (plus discounts) for 280bhp - unless you want to take it to the next power upgrade which would be £470 for 304bhp.

The volvo already has a dump valve (albeit a recirc) so there is little need for one unless your after the noise. Bracer is your man for dump valves :wink:

x

mark20uk
Thursday 6th January 2005, 19:22
a think a will go for the 28o bhp that sounds the best a know that it has a dump valve on standard a think they are called bosch ones the are plastic and i have heard they have tendencies to become brital and crack leaking air.
p.s has any one fitted a after,market dump valve to there car if so is it a hard job