PDA

View Full Version : Pcv help

Rnash2002
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 13:32
Ok car is a 850 t5 its smoking from the dipstick tube when engine hot.
Need to know if this means the rear main oil seal is still ok but will probably go if not sorted or if this is gone would the fumes/smoke still come out the tube??
Also would a catch tank sort this as a short term fix untill the pcv system is replaced.
Cheers!!!

M-R-P
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 13:43
You can tell if the rear main seal has gone because it usually drips oil everywhere. The catchtank idea might work but it depends where the blockage is. Best thing to do would be to get it done. It's not a hard job but time consuming.

MWT5
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 18:13
A catch tank could replace the pcv system but you would still have to check there is no gunk in the exits from the block and cam cover , if your going to do that you may as well replace pcv or go with a permanent catch tank.

Harvey
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 19:23
Hi I had the same problem on my S60R the breather system as shot,& some!.
The car also had a full service history from Volvo.

1 The small pipe from the firetrap box to the camshaft cover was broken in a number places.

2 I had steam smoking from the dipstick tube and a lot from the main oil filler cap when removed.

3 The top of the engine where the spark plugs / coils are was full of used engine oil.

4 But the main problem was if i parked not on level ground, slope to the near side ,leave the car start the car from cold then i had a seen from James bond with the level of smoke from the exhaust then check the oil level it would loose about 1/2 l oil.

This was a real problem by now so had the hole system changed.
what i found was a real eye opener have a look at the photos.

what was going wrong when the oil was cold it was thick and would fill up the firetrap box as the drain hole was blocked that went back to sump,then vent pipe that goes to the low pressure (vacuum) side of the turbo would suck the oil from the box and blow it into the engine not good for the cat in the exhaust !!.

All fixed now and have a vacuum at the oil filler cap like it should.

Sorry for the full story but i hope this will help someone .
Harvey

Kingsford G
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 19:27
Pcv mate.Volvos about £100 all the bits 1.5hours work.

M-R-P
Wednesday 28th March 2012, 19:58
Well Harvey, once again, a useful and informative post;) your pcv was the worst ive seen. With mine, it was just the banjo bolt on the inlet manifold blocked and the rest of the system cleaned up nicely.
I like how you cut the catch tank in half for reference purposes.
I think, given the wealth of knowledge on this forum, we could write our own Haynes, but a useful one lol ;)
Well done that man.

Harvey
Saturday 28th April 2012, 16:43
Hi this post

burnout8488
Sunday 29th April 2012, 17:45
Harvey - I've never seen a PCV cut open, let alone seen one with so much crud in it! Thanks for the post, gives a little bit better idea of how these things work.