PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke?

andybrown
Monday 26th March 2012, 13:56
Odd on this...

Tried to see if the Aircon worked today seeing as its hot. I noticed more white smoke the the exhaust than normal after having it on for a few moments.

I filled up with some oil last night as i still have the return pipe leak.

no coolant loss, car pulls fine, the smoke goes when i start driving.

Any ideas at all? It doesn't smell of oil, just normal fumes!

Andy

M-R-P
Monday 26th March 2012, 13:58
I don't think it's related to the aircon, I think it's just steam which I believe to be normal (well, mine does it lol)

andybrown
Monday 26th March 2012, 14:07
I don't think it's related to the aircon, I think it's just steam which I believe to be normal (we,, mine does it lol)

Il go with that ;-)

its done it since i had it, doesn't bother me, its not gonna be perfect being 13 year old :)

p fandango
Monday 26th March 2012, 14:26
oil would be blue, white is water/coolant but more than likely just the condensation as Martin says

M-R-P
Monday 26th March 2012, 14:33
Makes a nice change for you to post after me and agree with me pmsl :hilarious
(I only put steam 'cos I couldn't remember how to spell condensation ;))

p fandango
Monday 26th March 2012, 14:38
Makes a nice change for you to post after me and agree with me pmsl :hilarious
i've only just woke up, i'm sure it won't happen again ;) lol

jayeastanglia
Monday 26th March 2012, 14:55
does the smoke/steam smell of a catalytic convertor normal exhaust smell?? if so nothing to worry about(same as a bit of water under the car if AC has been on)
if it smells oily then turbo seals is a possible and a small leak from turbo will be white/bluey smoke and really does smell.
HG will smell from water header tank as well

andybrown
Monday 26th March 2012, 15:17
does the smoke/steam smell of a catalytic convertor normal exhaust smell?? if so nothing to worry about(same as a bit of water under the car if AC has been on)
if it smells oily then turbo seals is a possible and a small leak from turbo will be white/bluey smoke and really does smell.
HG will smell from water header tank as well

It smells normal, in fact, its quite a clean smell tbh!

andybrown
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 14:23
Still happening - :(

Went to Volsaa in Derby who started the car, looked at the exhaust fumes for a nano second then told me it was the turbo which would be £500 + or a new engine at £1500+

If its turbo seals - what is an approximate cost on this? likewise for engine seals

If anyone can give me an idea i can make my mind up as to wether to spend my woolworths compensation on this or a new car!!

bigrotch
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 14:32
what turbo is it..... ive had a turbo leak oil mate and its blue not white. are u looseing oil

andybrown
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 14:35
Sorry, its a C70 T5

There is a blue tinge to it for definate, but i cant really smell oil.

I havent been able to keep a good eye on the oil since it was leaking from the return pipe.

bigrotch
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 14:40
if theres blue tinge then ya deffo got a bit of oil c70 t5 would be a 16t if i remember you cna get a kit and its not to bad todo to befair

andybrown
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 16:46
A good friend who is a bloody good mechanic and has experience with turbos is going to have a good look at it on friday afternoon for me.

Heres hoping :/

bigrotch
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 16:47
when myne went it was very noticeable the smoke smell etc

andybrown
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 16:51
what did it cost to fix if you dont mind me asking?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 17:07
If you have to change a turbo you may as well bang on a 19T & have doen with it.

andybrown
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 17:15
If you have to change a turbo you may as well bang on a 19T & have doen with it.

wouldn't you need to change loads of other parts as well, and have it mapped to see any benefit? Whats the price and best place for turbo's?

andybrown
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 18:34
And how much smoke did i see on the journey home (26 miles) NONE! whats going on!!!

bigrotch
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 18:43
19t will bolt straight on as u prob got 3" angle exhaust dp Allready I rebuilta 15g at a cost of a kit 49.99 I know merc done his 18t at about the same price for parts etc

andybrown
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 11:29
This morning there was no excessive smoke on start up, drove like an old man for abut 15 mins in the snow, came to a standstill on the A38 after about 20 mins of driving and noticed some smoke coming from the exhaust, not excessively though, couldn't tell the colour.
So worried about it being a big issue now :(

bigrotch
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 14:43
Some do act strange mate but do a compression test to see if cylinders r ok.... Not to scare u but whot u just said could be the build up of crankcase pressure and the oil might be passing a piston ring... It prob. Not but defo check Myne was absolute had it... Mine went
1--8.5bar
2--7.5
3--8.0
4--5.5 :0
5--7.5
As u see no4 was very bad I think u want to see min 9.5 -10 across the lot. It could turbo or valve seal but To be fair u would rather turbo as it's a bolt on and off fix mate

andybrown
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 15:05
Not to scare u but whot u just said could be the build up of crankcase pressure

Is this the PVC issue?

andybrown
Friday 6th April 2012, 21:07
Well today i took it to a good friends unit and he spent a good 2 hours checking everything.

The diagnosis is leaking valve seals, so iv given her some Forté Seal conditioner, So heres hoping it clears!!! Im fairly confident it will, its not damaging anything, so i can get back to enjoying it now!