PDA

View Full Version : XC70 Fault Showing - EGR Position Sensor

PhilR
Monday 26th March 2012, 10:29
Hi Everyone,

For the first time I've had my 2006 XC70 serviced by my local garage who looks after my other car without complaint. I've had the 'engine management' message show up on the dash intermittently and several faults show up when they plug their OBD reader in. There's two glow relays faults 6661 and 6665 and also 44BO 'EGR position sensor'.

The useage of the car has changed insofar that my wife now takes it to work, 3 miles each way and most of that is in a traffic queue, instead of the long journeys it used to get. I appreciate it's not the best way to use a car loaded with emission control stuff and whenever I drive it now, I give it the old Italian tune up to clear it out but it might be too little too late.

I understand diagnosis by forum can be an imprecise science but has anyone else had these messages show up and what was the cure?

Cheers,

Phil

y2blade
Monday 26th March 2012, 10:46
I've no Idea sorry :(
maybe worth doing a search (or asking the question) here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19

stribo
Monday 26th March 2012, 13:17
I haven't had this problem, but have heard of it. Modern diesels (i.e. common rail) don't like doing low mile runs, or general pottering. What happens with EGRs, is they get sooted up and end up sticking. If your lucky, it'll stick shut, then you'll have no running issues, if it sticks open, it'll run like poo when cold or at low revs. It is possible to clean them if they're not too bad, once taken off, it'll need a good soaking in solvent, then you may be able to work it loose. Failing that, you'll need a new one. Once sorted just make sure to take the car out for a good blast at least once a week.

y2blade
Monday 26th March 2012, 15:35
I haven't had this problem, but have heard of it. Modern diesels (i.e. common rail) don't like doing low mile runs, or general pottering. What happens with EGRs, is they get sooted up and end up sticking. If your lucky, it'll stick shut, then you'll have no running issues, if it sticks open, it'll run like poo when cold or at low revs. It is possible to clean them if they're not too bad, once taken off, it'll need a good soaking in solvent, then you may be able to work it loose. Failing that, you'll need a new one. Once sorted just make sure to take the car out for a good blast at least once a week.

Is OPs car a diesel one then? I didn't want to assume it was and give irrelevant info.

If it is a 2006 Diesel then yes you are right, modern diesels hate this sort of usage.

PhilR
Monday 26th March 2012, 17:06
Apologies, it dawned on me later, after I made the original post, I hadn't mentioned it's a diesel, the D5 185bhp version.

stribo
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 11:03
Hi Everyone,

For the first time I've had my 2006 XC70 serviced by my local garage who looks after my other car without complaint. I've had the 'engine management' message show up on the dash intermittently and several faults show up when they plug their OBD reader in. There's two glow relays faults 6661 and 6665 and also 44BO 'EGR position sensor'.

The useage of the car has changed insofar that my wife now takes it to work, 3 miles each way and most of that is in a traffic queue, instead of the long journeys it used to get. I appreciate it's not the best way to use a car loaded with emission control stuff and whenever I drive it now, I give it the old Italian tune up to clear it out but it might be too little too late.

I understand diagnosis by forum can be an imprecise science but has anyone else had these messages show up and what was the cure?

Cheers,

Phil

Is OPs car a diesel one then? I didn't want to assume it was and give irrelevant info.

If it is a 2006 Diesel then yes you are right, modern diesels hate this sort of usage.

The glow relay problem made me think it was a diesel.:B_thumb:

y2blade
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 11:55
The glow relay problem made me think it was a diesel.:B_thumb:

Ah, well spotted. :)