PDA

View Full Version : Window tinting

Kingsford G
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:10
Just wondering what r u allowed to have on front windows?eally I`m after a light smoke tint all around.So when buying one what do I look for ?

volvokid
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:11
Your car will have maximum tint already

T5frankie
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:11
think it's 30%

Kingsford G
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:13
Your car will have maximum tint already

What?Factory green ish one?

LiamT4
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:18
Not much, something like 25-30% is allowed.

Cubes
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:19
25% front, 30% front door windows. The rest: anything goes.

Kingsford G
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:25
that`ll do me..It just doesn`t look nice to me wiv just back one done I`d rather have it the same ish all around.

volvokid
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:37
Lots of places won't touch your front windows

Kingsford G
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:41
Lots of places won't touch your front windows

I know thats `cos I won`t let them and do i myself.

WOODY T5
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:46
well ad 30% all round on my car for years then got stoped by the boys in blue and failed the road side test pulled the front one`s off at side off the road :-(

Kingsford G
Saturday 24th March 2012, 22:56
well ad 30% all round on my car for years then got stoped by the boys in blue and failed the road side test pulled the front one`s off at side off the road :-(

Apparently some new laws came in force as from this year so might have to go down to old bill and ask them.

saffronR
Saturday 24th March 2012, 23:28
I'm surprised they managed to get the tints off at the side of the road, maybe I should have just hung around the local 50 station, took me hours to remove the front tints on mine, which were legal, and MOT friendly, but to be honest, it was a proper pain at night pulling out of junctions, I genuinely found it difficult to see out of at dark O'clock! IMHO I would leave the fronts well alone.

smithson007
Sunday 25th March 2012, 00:31
Legally your front windows have to allow 70% of light to pass through them but as said before most places wont even touch them as the natural glass tint that are used on volvos is so close to the legal limit any tint applied would normally push them other the legal limit.
Ive seen cars round here that have almost limo tint on the front windows and dont seem to get pulled for them but i think it depends on what kind of mood plod are in at the time.

Cubes
Sunday 25th March 2012, 00:56
Apparently some new laws came in force as from this year so might have to go down to old bill and ask them.

No new laws. Same as I've mentioned: 75% light has to pass through windscreen (not 70%), and 70% through front door windows. They are the only rules.

LeeT5
Sunday 1st April 2012, 02:56
Just wondering what r u allowed to have on front windows?eally I`m after a light smoke tint all around.So when buying one what do I look for ?

Its always been 30% tint on glass infront of the 'B' pillar and dark as you like behind it. As far as the front windscreen goes, why on earth would you want to tint that??? Of course you can have the tint strip at the top of the windscreen but surely you don't mean the actual windscreen itself......do you?

I've been in the trade over 20 years now and as far as i know there isn't a window tinter in the land that will touch your windscreen! I'm sure someone here will prove me wrong thou and if there is, i don't wanna know thanks!:cuckoo:

Kingsford G
Sunday 1st April 2012, 04:11
Its always been 30% tint on glass infront of the 'B' pillar and dark as you like behind it. As far as the front windscreen goes, why on earth would you want to tint that??? Of course you can have the tint strip at the top of the windscreen but surely you don't mean the actual windscreen itself......do you?

I've been in the trade over 20 years now and as far as i know there isn't a window tinter in the land that will touch your windscreen! I'm sure someone here will prove me wrong thou and if there is, i don't wanna know thanks!:cuckoo:

No mate,I`d never touch the windscreen even if u can by law have it as dark as u can.I was talking about front and back windows.All I want is a slight tint all around except windscreen.My bro had windscreen done and honestly that is very stupid thing to do.

LeeT5
Sunday 1st April 2012, 09:37
No mate,I`d never touch the windscreen even if u can by law have it as dark as u can.I was talking about front and back windows.All I want is a slight tint all around except windscreen.My bro had windscreen done and honestly that is very stupid thing to do.

Then weve answered your question fella :biggrin:

Harvey
Sunday 15th July 2012, 09:48
Just looking at insuring the car again and there is a window tints listed on the paperwork as these need to be listed and declared, guess what if you don't not covered.

kim
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 09:34
Here you go http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_181016 Just had mine done light smoke 35% front sides limo tint rear.......

My Jap import had this and the front screen. When I went to collect it from Southampton docks, on the way home it was scary I had to strip off the front screen at roadside ,Couldn't see where I was going ...Must be very bright in Japan ..,best of luck Kim