PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Cleaning

andybrown
Friday 23rd March 2012, 11:16
Anyone have some good tips on how to get my steering wheel a bit nicer looking? Mine is basically black all round the edge.

Andy

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd March 2012, 15:05
Is your's the light brown interior? I have tried with many different solutions. Issue is after a while the leather gets very damp.

I have made significant improvements to the dark staining. This is a mixture of protein, dirt & grease.

AG leather cleaner may get some of it off. But it is painstaking. I have also tried a bowl of warm water with a small amount of biological detergent, a clean dishcloth & a drying towel.

Or you could just cheat & buy a steering wheel cover.

andybrown
Friday 23rd March 2012, 15:21
Is your's the light brown interior? I have tried with many different solutions. Issue is after a while the leather gets very damp.

I have made significant improvements to the dark staining. This is a mixture of protein, dirt & grease.

AG leather cleaner may get some of it off. But it is painstaking. I have also tried a bowl of warm water with a small amount of biological detergent, a clean dishcloth & a drying towel.

Or you could just cheat & buy a steering wheel cover.

Its grey interior, I used some elather cleaner as a test which bought loads of brown and black crap off, then i used a dash wipe thing which made it sticky! (i wiped it off with a damp cloth) i think it needs a brish or something mixed with some strong cleaner to get most off.

I have a steering wheel cover - but they look lame! Id like a steering wheel with the walnut trim but they seem hard to come by - or far too much money.

volvokid
Friday 23rd March 2012, 15:24
What about dying it?

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd March 2012, 16:30
Where can I buy a Brish from?

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 23rd March 2012, 18:53
Where can I buy a Brish from?

Lol I want one as well :)

LeeT5
Saturday 24th March 2012, 00:53
What about dying it?

Come on Martyn, you can't dye it with all the dirt on it. Would be like painting wheels that have not been rubbed down or cleaned!

M-R-P
Saturday 24th March 2012, 01:07
I have a nice leather cover from halfrauds, the one you have to stitch on. It took 3 hours to fit and that's the one i didn't break lol.
Nice n comfy now tho. :)

volvokid
Saturday 24th March 2012, 08:41
Come on Martyn, you can't dye it with all the dirt on it. Would be like painting wheels that have not been rubbed down or cleaned!

I ment clean it then dye it, it's maybe just worn.

saffronR
Saturday 24th March 2012, 18:48
I used a steam furniture cleaning gun, and a stiff toothbrush to clean & bring the suede up on the steering wheel of my car, take your time, don't let the suede get too wet, pat dry with a clean T-towel, job done.

volvokid
Saturday 24th March 2012, 19:10
if its suede i did a how to on here

jimv50
Friday 20th April 2012, 21:35
Babywipes to start with,leather cleaner from Autoglym afterwards with lots of care and patience

Redbrick
Friday 20th April 2012, 21:57
Astonish household cleaner, you clean ovens with it! Trouble is it will strip it completely back to whatever its made of. You'll then have to feed it or it will mess it up. I clean my elbow lean points with it; driver door window sill and elbow rest by the handbrake. It strips it back but makes it sticky so ends up getting dirty again, vicious circle!