PDA

View Full Version : Which Tyres for V70R AWD?

Al115
Tuesday 20th March 2012, 15:36
I need a set of 4 to put on my new rims.

They will need to do summer and winter (not that we get much snow) - general driving rather than track. Budget to about £150 per corner fitted, less if it makes sense.

Considering Hankook K110 V12, Vred Sessantas, Uni Rainsports, Kumho Ecsta KU39... what else? Views as to which work best, on an AWD?

JimmyBurnWorld
Tuesday 20th March 2012, 18:00
Can't vouch from a 4wd point of view, but I had some KU39's on my D5. I found them to be quiet on the 45 profile, however they wore out quite quickly. Grip was nothing to get overly excited about, and they got pretty lairy in the wet when they were getting tired.

Currently running Dunlop Sport Maxx TT's. They grip well enough for what I do, the wear rate has been excellent (I have another thread where I'm complaining about my rears wearing after 30k or so). However, they are noisy on motorways.

Pauld
Tuesday 20th March 2012, 19:14
Vreds, very pleased with mine

Dream3r
Tuesday 20th March 2012, 19:43
Vreds are great on mine too.

I find wet performance great, good on track and also they seem to wear well.

They tick a few boxes!

burchi
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 08:54
They're not all weather but:

Toyo Proxies T1-R

Great grip, quiet, 22,000 miles on the current set and a bit of wear left and got them for £110 per corner inc VAT plus fitting.

1000 x better than the terrible P-6000's/P-Zero that the cars came with!

Ian

volvokid
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 10:10
What's up with the pzeros? I have them on mine and they've never let me down

M-R-P
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 10:31
Dunno about awd but Avon ZV5s are a fantastic all-rounder and only 95 quid a corner from my local Hi-Q.

Pauld
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 10:35
I have changed from Pzero to Vreds for a few reasons:-

Have used Vreds on many cars and have always been happy with them:-

Good price
Excellent wear rate
Good is rain
Handle well in the dry.

I would put neck on the line and say that I will get 50% more longevity over the pzero's. Time will tell if that is true!

burchi
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 16:08

Hi Martin

I found them to be very noisy, poor in terms of wet handling, not long lasting and the tramlining was shocking on the 18" rims. All in all, I couldn't get them off the car quick enough and have tried both Dunlop SP Sport Maxx and the Toyo's I mentioned. Both in my view are far superior to the P-Zeros and cheaper too.

Regards

Ian

Al115
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 16:42
Did removing the P-Zeros help at all with the slightly skippy tail-end when going over bumps in corners?

burchi
Thursday 22nd March 2012, 08:36
Hi Al

Yes, rear side hope is pretty unnerving and those tyres don't help and did improve with being swapped over. The V70R is worse on this than the S60R but both suffer.

Also, alignment is crucial on these cars.

Have got mine running on a setup that was tried and tested by the Heico racing team.

Front .02 degrees toe in each side
Rear Zero degrees toe in

Well worth doing IMO as it makes a big difference.

All the best

Ian

Al115
Thursday 22nd March 2012, 09:02
Appreciated! I had mine aligned at Wheels in Motion about a week after buying it, to factory spec. Didn't quite get there due to bush wear, but it's close. I'll compare that with your advice above, and try to get it spot on this spring!

LeeT5
Saturday 24th March 2012, 00:26

Too expensive and they tend to feather on the edges. Not a brilliant tyre.

LeeT5
Saturday 24th March 2012, 00:33
I have Vreds Sessantas all round on mine Al and i must say i'm most impressed. They look the nuts and they grip immensly! Wear is even and so far done about 12k on them and still got 4mm tread on two and 5mm on the other two. Rotated them front to rear now to extend life of the 4mm worn ones. I expect to get about 20k on a set.

LeeT5
Saturday 24th March 2012, 00:52
For info, my alighnment was checked and adjusted on 6th March by Elite, Rainham, Essex.

Specs are:
Front
(Toe) 0*05' front left / 0*04' front right.
(Camber) -0*42' front left / -0*36' front right.
Rear
(Camber) -1*06' rear left / -0*46' Rear right. (IPD camber bushes fitted).
(Toe) 0*07' rear left / 0*08' rear right.
(Thrust angle) 0*00'.

I know that the Rear camber has moved slightly from the -0*53' that it was 8 months ago, but thats because my rear trailing arm bushes are knackered and need replacing very soon. Once done they will bring the rear camber back into spec. The IPD bushes MUST be fitted if your lowering the car else your rear camber will drop to -2*30-50'!!!!

Al. If you want to eliminate virtually ALL the rear hop on your R then you gotta get volvo to update your SUM to the latest software. If you have Pzero's fitted, get 'em off...quick! They are rubbish.