PDA

View Full Version : Remove A/C from a 940

popuptoaster
Sunday 18th March 2012, 15:07
Is it as simple as letting the gas out and unbolting stuff from the engine bay? Or is it a dash out and replace with non A/C heater type affair?

I very rarely use A/C, mine blows about as cold as a blast furnace and I have a plan that involves using the A/C compressor for something else anyway.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 18th March 2012, 17:29
As far as I know you should be able to just remove the pump as the heater matrix is seperate to the aircon evaporator in the heater unit.

So you supercharging it then?

Al115
Sunday 18th March 2012, 17:41
Are you allowed to just release the refrigerant to atmosphere or are there regs on that? Just wondering.

claymore
Sunday 18th March 2012, 17:43
No your not allowd to releas the gas, but if the gas has all escaped due to a leak, ;) then just pull all the pipework off, I just cut mine at the bulkhead.

popuptoaster
Sunday 18th March 2012, 18:07
Cool, cheers guys I'll investigate next time the weathers fine.

As I want to lower and improve the handling on the car i need to replace the Nivomats on the back but it is possible i'll still want to load the thing up or use the tow bar so im gonna go with air bags on the back (front as well eventually) I'm planning on using the AC compressor as an air pump to fill a couple of lorry air tanks to run the 'bags.

Should be an easy fit on the rear, bags can just replace the coils and if you plumb airbags in right they can improve handling as well as keep it comfy AND give me the ability to drop it in the weeds for looks. :D

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 18th March 2012, 18:08
Are you allowed to just release the refrigerant to atmosphere or are there regs on that? Just wondering.
Good point Al, forgot to say that. I think the older systems used a nasty gas, so it would have to be removed by a professional.