PDA

View Full Version : What does my T5 need?

topcat
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 18:36
Hi folks, I am fairly new to Volvo ownership so some help would be very welcome! I have 2004 V70 T5 est (ex plod) it has done 152000 miles.
I have just had the display show " Alarm service required" My local dealership are no help at all. The only fact I got out of them was that it is due for a service at 156000.
I have no service book for the car but do have a printout from the plod saying that a full service was carried out at 120000.
So my question is why has the alarm come on now at 152000 and what will it need for a service? Would the timming belt be done at 120000?
Also I have read a few posts on here that mention an ETM. Could some one please tell me what that is?
Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.
topcat

p fandango
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 18:50
i believe the battery pack in the alarm siren is prone to giving up, sure someone else will provide more info & a price

Al115
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 18:51
How can the dealership not help??? They plug a computer in and the car tells them what's wrong!

Pedro is probably on the money though.

WHere are you based, maybe someone local can help you out with the diagnostics.

ETM = electronic throttle module.

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 18:59
As above, electronic throttle module. This wont be a problem on your car. The alarm service warning is normal on these things. The battery in the siren leaks on the pcb and rotts the gubbins therin. The module will need replacing or you can just ignore the warning screen like I have for the last 13 months lol.
The plod service sheet should have a timing belt change at about 60k. Mine did but didnt have another one until 174k. I wouldn't recommend waiting that long ;).
Welcome to the forum from another explod owner :)

volvokid
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 19:04
Give rufe a pm he will give you a great price on the kit

topcat
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 19:49
Thanks for all the info Guys. Can any one tell me at what milage the timing belt should be changed?
Thanks again for the help and advice.

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 19:51
Think its every 60k.

t5 stealth
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 22:54
welcome,
as said.it usualy the alarm needs replacing...
i have done a how to do it and part number on here somewhere,it hasnt been made a sticky or what ever its called but here it is.
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39579&highlight=alarm+replacement

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 23:39
As above, electronic throttle module. This wont be a problem on your car. The alarm service warning is normal on these things. The battery in the siren leaks on the pcb and rotts the gubbins therin. The module will need replacing or you can just ignore the warning screen like I have for the last 13 months lol.
The plod service sheet should have a timing belt change at about 60k. Mine did but didnt have another one until 174k. I wouldn't recommend waiting that long ;).
Welcome to the forum from another explod owner :)

I agree with Martin but To be honest I wouldn't bother waiting to find out when the timing belt should be changed. If you do it now you won't have to worry, I can tell you from past experience if one goes it costs a fortune to fix the engine.

If you can afford it change the oil, and the gearbox fluid and check the brake pads for wear.

Oh yes

Hello and

http://www.st-austell-road-wsm.co.uk/volvonuthouse2.jpg

Santa
Thursday 15th March 2012, 06:35
On the timing belt I think Volvo say 90k but don't leave it that long. (A few have given up before then).

I'm with Martin, 60k is a sensible interval.