PDA

View Full Version : PCT valve - cleaning product recommendations

T5rookie
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 16:57
Hi guys....

There are a fair few threads on this valve but none that I can see which explain what products people have used to get the best results.....Mine looks really clogged.

First off are there any internal parts which will be against the use of brake cleaner or a pipe cleaner?

I have been recommended to clean it in situ as a few members have damaged the rubber seal trying to remove it and then had to buy a whole new intake hose!

So what products have you guys used for best results?

If I'm doing it with the intake pipe off the car I need to make sure that whatever I use pushes all the gunk into the intake pipe where I can easily pass brake cleaner/rags through.

The engine is low mileage(90k) so I hope this is the main offending article and I won't need to replace the rest of the PCV just yet.

Cheers
Alex

wutang247
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 17:16
easier just to replace the lot for new mate, think i paid about 100 all in........

T5rookie
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 18:25
100 notes vs cleaning a valve out??

What a waste of money! Thats like saying the PCV is clogged, don't replace it, just buy a new engine.

I am cleaning it off the car but still attached to the pipe as to avoid damage to the rubber seal.

I hear of a thing called seafoam on matthewsvolvosite. Is that american?

T5rookie
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 21:35
Just had a thought, can you spray brake cleaner through it and then blow through the nipple to dislodge any gunge?

kyboy
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 21:36
I just popped mine out did it again at the weekend with carb cleaner and some little bits of rag and a small screwdriver to scrape all the gunk out most people damage the rubber by getting a bit rugged with it, cause of its fiddly position,any just spray wd on the rubber and twist it in,dont use a screwdriver...

T5rookie
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 21:40
So to remove it from the intake pipe it twists out? Like a bulb fitment?

kyboy
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 21:57
it's just got a lipped seal try spraying wd on it 1st to lube it up.

merc85
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 22:02
Carb Cleaner, Brake cleaner, the Valve, then small stif wire through the narrow pipe part.

But seriously replace the rest of the pipe work,at 90k it will be clogged and leaking.

T5rookie
Thursday 15th March 2012, 00:23
Just trying to do all the jobs to make the 1500 mile round trip easier on her. Poly top engine mount, new oil/oil filter, new coolant and thermostat, new turbo return pipe and seal/gaskets, clean out the PCT nipple.

Half of that list is done and I have another 6 days to do the other stuff...

T5rookie
Thursday 15th March 2012, 00:26
Carb Cleaner, Brake cleaner, the Valve, then small stif wire through the narrow pipe part.

But seriously replace the rest of the pipe work,at 90k it will be clogged and leaking.

By rest of pipework you mean PCV?? Thought you meant intake pipe.

For sure the PCV is being done but only when I'm back from France and if anything goes t1ts up I don't have to worry about it risking my trip.