PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Oil Return O ring

andybrown
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 15:08
I have a leak :(

Went underneath the car last night, looked up, all the sump is covered in oil.there is no oil leak above the sump pan bolts at all. Seems to be dripping off the sump below where the pipe goes into the sump/block.

There is no oil leak on the PVC (checked under spark cover and its dry as a bone)

So, Is this a DIY fix?
will it require a full oil change?
Am i going to take the pipe out to be showered in oil?!
does anyone have any pics?

Im not terribly confident in doing this kind of thing, but it if it is literally a couple of bolts, i might manage!

C70 1999 T5

Thanks for the help!

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 15:21
Have you cleaned all the oil off and identified exactly where it's coming from? Sometimes the dipstick tube/sump seal leaks if the PCV gets blocked?
Just a thought ;)

Dan850r
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 15:23
Pretty easy, follow the pipe up to the turbo, there are 2 bolts, undo them, pull the pipe out. Check its round and not oval or damaged and fit a new o ring and gasket, re fit it and check for leaks. Should be easy enoughon your drive with axle stands

Thats if it is the return pipe gone

T5rookie
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 15:24
Keep me posted on this as I have the same problem....

Does the whole return pipe need replacing or just the turbo return o ring and give the pipe a good clean out.

Dan850r
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 15:27
The pipe would need replacing if its damaged, other wise its just a new o ring and gasket needed

andybrown
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 15:31
Have you cleaned all the oil off and identified exactly where it's coming from? Sometimes the dipstick tube/sump seal leaks if the PCV gets blocked?
Just a thought ;)

Its at the back of the engine, not the front. Or is i hope its not the sump seal as it sounds a pain in the ass job from reading the haynes!!

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 15:46
Don't believe everything you read in the book of lies. Often there are easier ways... I only use it as a guide and work out better ways (if any) while I go.

claymore
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 17:30
There is also a clamp that needs undoing (which holds the water and oil pipe together) the only tools you will need is a 10mm spanner (I think) and a long allen key, half an hour job and the O-ring and gasket are less than a fiver.

andybrown
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 20:02
I put it up on on a ramp tonight and had another look.

there is no oil from where the pipe meets the turbo, it seems to be coming from the bottom where it goes into the sump, is this the normal place for it to fail? its bone dry up above, so I'm not particularly worried!

I cleaned it up as well so i can have another look in a day or 2 and see if i can find the source properly.

claymore
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 20:10
Yep, that's where they usually fail

simpT5
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 21:04
I had this problem a while back and fitting a new o ring and gasket to the oil retun pipe fixed the leak, mine too was leaking from where the pipe goes into the block, made a right mess too!

The pipe carries oil back into the sump from the turbo, so after the engine has been off for a while there should be no oil in there to spill, I did mine on a cold engine and didn't loose any oil at all.

It really is a dead straight forward job to to, about 45 mins from start to finish.

I got the o ring and gasket from Volvo for about £4.

1 ) Undo the 10mm nut and remove the clamp holding the oil return pipe to the adjacent pipe.

2) Remove to two allen headed bolts (5mm from memory) holding the pipe to the turbo.

4) Wiggle pipe up and out from the hole in the block

5) Fit new o ring around the bottom of the pipe and refit using new green gasket in between pipe and turbo

6) Make a brew and congratulate yourself on an easy job well done

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab281/simpt5/Oilreturnpipe2.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab281/simpt5/Oilreturnpipe1.jpg

T5rookie
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 21:30
Take it you don't need to drop the oil if you do it cold?

andybrown
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 22:16
I had this problem a while back and fitting a new o ring and gasket to the oil retun pipe fixed the leak, mine too was leaking from where the pipe goes into the block, made a right mess too!

The pipe carries oil back into the sump from the turbo, so after the engine has been off for a while there should be no oil in there to spill, I did mine on a cold engine and didn't loose any oil at all.

It really is a dead straight forward job to to, about 45 mins from start to finish.

I got the o ring and gasket from Volvo for about £4.

1 ) Undo the 10mm nut and remove the clamp holding the oil return pipe to the adjacent pipe.

2) Remove to two allen headed bolts (5mm from memory) holding the pipe to the turbo.

4) Wiggle pipe up and out from the hole in the block

5) Fit new o ring around the bottom of the pipe and refit using new green gasket in between pipe and turbo

6) Make a brew and congratulate yourself on an easy job well done

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab281/simpt5/Oilreturnpipe2.jpg

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab281/simpt5/Oilreturnpipe1.jpg

Thats amazing, Thank you :)

simpT5
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 22:31
@ andybrown

By the way, your sig is ace, makes me chuckle everytime I see it!

simpT5
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 22:34
Take it you don't need to drop the oil if you do it cold?

No, if you leave the car overnight, then do the job in the morning before starting the engine, the oil will have drained back in to the sump and you won't loose a drop :)

andybrown
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 16:23
Ok just ordered the O ring and gasket to do this weekend

Is it normal to get a few plumes of smoke due to it dripping everywhere??

M-R-P
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 16:26
Only if it's dripping on parts of the exhaust ;)

andybrown
Wednesday 21st March 2012, 23:08
Had another clean up around the area this evening, it seems that it might be leaking from the top gasket too a bit - is this normal as well? TBH, it doesn't look like it has a gasket on at the mo :/