PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter

shepbomb
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 22:22
Any tips for changing my fuel filter as i am going to be doing it tomorrow on my 99 c70, it looks nice and simple on the instructions i have found...
18mm spanner to release the fuel lines from either end then undo the metal bracket, although it give me no more ideas on, the simple things such as... Will I get a face full of petrol??

craigoodwood
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 22:25
maybe not a face full but it'll will reach your elbow before you know it, did mine on my 850 last week not much came out of the pipes but the filter kept comin and comin :)

shepbomb
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 22:28
Lovely, I will make sure that I am not doing it with fag in mouth then

M-R-P
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 22:51
The plastic clips holding the pipes to the filter can be a pig, gotta squeeze the grey plastic squares in and pull. If the clips have been on for a while, they will be bloody hard and knuckle-rash will be likely. TIP - when you fit the new filter, wrap the connections with tape to stop crud getting in and making hard next time :)

jayeastanglia
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 22:52
remove fuel pump fuse start car well it may try at first then wont start this will make sure no fuel pressure in the fuel line...and have wifes best baking tray under the car by the filter and crack the pipes and let the fuel drain into the tray when remove said filter let it sit in the tray that way no fuel is spilt on the floor..oh and wear gloves helps stop fuel getting into any cuts u will get..

shepbomb
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 22:55
Lovely cheers for your help fellas, and I take it the arrow on the fuel filter points forwards as this is the way fuel flows through it I presume

t5 pete
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 23:02
yes put the arrows going to the front

Dan850r
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 00:02
On mine (96 850) there was a shraeder valve near the filter which released the pressure

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 00:03
I used the valve on the fuel rail. Filled my zippo at the same time :)

shepbomb
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 00:06
I will pop to my mates tomorrow, and have a look on vadis for how u drain the pressure

merc85
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 00:07
Last time i done mine the didnt really seem to much pressure in the line,

The clamp rusts and can be a §§§§§§ to open up then refit.

Fuel line detach easliy just patence. you wil be fine. the filter holds about a pint.

p fandango
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 00:22
The clamp rusts and can be a §§§§§§ to open up then refit.

Fuel line detach easliy just patence. you wil be fine. the filter holds about a pint.
the welded clamp nut broke off on mine (cable ties to the rescue lol). Got the line clamps moving but couldn't get the pipes to budge, so gave up for now :(

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 00:24
I used the type of wire strippers that look like clawed pliers to grab the pads. Bit fiddly but success within 2 minutes was mine :)

p fandango
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 00:27
I used the type of wire strippers that look like clawed pliers to grab the pads. Bit fiddly but success within 2 minutes was mine :)
i'm thinking grinder then jubilee clip the pipes onto the new one lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 00:34
i'm thinking grinder then jubilee clip the pipes onto the new one lol

Errr, I've seen the result of a gas-axe hitting a fuel line...

shepbomb
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 11:46
Fuel filter done... Car now running much smoother

M-R-P
Wednesday 14th March 2012, 11:53
Eeeeexxxcellent :)