PDA

View Full Version : 2012 race car project

streaky744
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:29
well for this years race car i have started out with a road going E34 535i bmw which is destined for short track racing and drifting.

car has been stripped down to the bones again and fabrication has started, the difference with this car is if the orginal engine gives up then i intend to fit a T5 engine into it. (much to the disgust on a beemer forum)

for now i'll just put some pics on and update as i do more to it over next few weeks as racing starts in under a month and so far it so far from being ready and working mon-fri and limited time at weekends a miracle is needed to get it ready for bank hol monday but will do upmost to be there.

streaky744
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:33
the process starts of ripping it all to bits

streaky744
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:36
and now the fun starts with fabrication

and just for the record these cars are a pig to strip out

but being the sport model and manual and having lsd should make it fun

and incase any of you who like reducing weight in your cars for the strip, the seat weighs next to nothing and does have a padded cover but its removed to keep it dry, the seat and cover can be bought for only £110

glock19
Friday 9th March 2012, 04:01
The 2jz should be more than enough to move this car. :D

p fandango
Friday 9th March 2012, 04:52
Kirkey seats are amazingly light, didn't realise you could get them so cheap tho :D

streaky744
Friday 9th March 2012, 21:55
its not a kirky, a chap that builds F1 stock cars makes his own which is a copy of a kirkey, and saves around £200 over cost of a kirkey and cover

this weekend hoping to get boot floor removed and fuel tank pump and lines all plumbed in

streaky744
Monday 12th March 2012, 23:12
fuel system now in, more bars added to cage and bumpers made

gets painted thursday all being well , roll cage is all painted and padding done

noticed pic i have put up off engine is not one from this car but an e36 a friend has.
this has the m30 8valve straight six engine

Slomo
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 11:10
I will have a old E36 M50 3.0 M3 engine available soon if it helps. it does need a rebuild as it has a spun shell. All it needs is replacement shells and then a rebuild.. I bought myself a very low mileage replacement engine instead of rebuilding the engine.

Slomo

T5RPete
Tuesday 13th March 2012, 12:17
Wow, thats quite a cage you've got in there.

Any idea of the amount of weight you've shed?

streaky744
Tuesday 20th March 2012, 23:04
I will have a old E36 M50 3.0 M3 engine available soon if it helps. it does need a rebuild as it has a spun shell. All it needs is replacement shells and then a rebuild.. I bought myself a very low mileage replacement engine instead of rebuilding the engine.

Slomo

very interested in that engine, but i'd need engine bay wiring, ecu, throttle bodies, mounts, exhaust etc etc but sure could find those along the way

where is engine located?

not sure on weight thats been removed but quite a lot, taken over 20 kg out in wiring , and relays alone, let alone everything else. will get it weighed in few weeks

have sprayed it now in a fiat metalic blue with metal flake in laquer so sparkles quite well.

still few bits to do but getting there

streaky744
Sunday 22nd April 2012, 21:59
just a little update, raced the car over easter, on damp and very wet mud, at its awesome, lots grunt a dream to get the tail out on and after 7 races leading the championship by 30 points.

drifting on tarmac may be cleaner and a little faster but its still more fun on mud i say lol.

p fandango
Monday 23rd April 2012, 07:16
still prefer your old Volvo, what happened to that

streaky744
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 22:46
old volvo was scrapped as it burnt out two valves and i had a yearning for rwd.

but plan on killing two birds with one stone now, when bmw lets go then its getting a ovlov 5 pot in it :-), can buy an adaptor plate to mate to bmw box, just need to figure what clutch it needs, little bit of fabrication and a rewire to mate bmw loom under bonnet to volvo ecu and away we go

will be sourcing all parts over summer to do the transplant from october onwards