PDA

View Full Version : Reward - Come stop my rattle !!

V70 Graham
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:45
Hiya,

Back to the Volvo's again after a while, had a T5R back in the day now running around in a 57,000 mile 1998 (S) V70 T5......just started to have a few things done ECU remap and lowered 30mm but more of that when I get a chance over in the 'Projects' forum.

The car drives really well and is sooooo quiet except for a rattle in the top n/s of the dashboard, I have had the glovebox out and had the heater/speaker vents off but I can neither see nor feel anything loose and it is REALLY starting to get on my nerves now so........

I am hoping the reward (let's say 50 beer tokens) I am offering will stir somebody into helping me out.

I must say I am neither technically minded nor do I have any tools to speak of (ex wife had them !) but i'm hoping someone close to me may be able to pop over (or I could come to you) to have a look, I would think the next thing to try would be to remove the top portion of the dash.
I don't think it is the mounting tabs though what do I know lol it's just the sound does not seem to be coming from that far back, it also gets worse when you lightly push the dash where the arrows show.....anyone ??

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/graham1326/IMG_0149.jpg

I need this sorted as it's starting to detract from the enjoyment I am getting driving the car so I intend increasing the beer token fund by 10 each week till it is !

p.s. I'll be at the Essex meet this coming Sunday (11th) if any of you fancy helping out.

daza-b
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:51
ill have a look for you when you come up bud

Hiya,

Back to the Volvo's again after a while, had a T5R back in the day now running around in a 57,000 mile 1998 (S) V70 T5......just started to have a few things done ECU remap and lowered 30mm but more of that when I get a chance over in the 'Projects' forum.

The car drives really well and is sooooo quiet except for a rattle in the top n/s of the dashboard, I have had the glovebox out and had the heater/speaker vents off but I can neither see nor feel anything loose and it is REALLY starting to get on my nerves now so........

I am hoping the reward (let's say 50 beer tokens) I am offering will stir somebody into helping me out.

I must say I am neither technically minded nor do I have any tools to speak of (ex wife had them !) but i'm hoping someone close to me may be able to pop over (or I could come to you) to have a look, I would think the next thing to try would be to remove the top portion of the dash.
I don't think it is the mounting tabs though what do I know lol it's just the sound does not seem to be coming from that far back, it also gets worse when you lightly push the dash where the arrows show.....anyone ??

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/graham1326/IMG_0149.jpg

I need this sorted as it's starting to detract from the enjoyment I am getting driving the car so I intend increasing the beer token fund by 10 each week till it is !

p.s. I'll be at the Essex meet this coming Sunday (11th) if any of you fancy helping out.

volvokid
Thursday 8th March 2012, 20:05
My V40 does exactly the same thing from there too

t5steve
Thursday 8th March 2012, 22:02
i'm sure the essex boys repair shop will have a go ................see you sunday............i'll make sure i bring some tools

V70 Graham
Friday 9th March 2012, 05:14
ill have a look for you when you come up bud

Thanks Daz, appreciate it

V70 Graham
Friday 9th March 2012, 05:17
i'm sure the essex boys repair shop will have a go ................see you sunday............i'll make sure i bring some tools

......and I'm sure the 'Essex boys repair shop' will be kept in refreshments 

Working early Sunday......see you all about 1500

V70 Graham
Friday 16th March 2012, 14:56
Another week another 10 beer tokens.....60 now for anyone who can help !

I went along to the Essex meet last Sunday and t5steve showed me how to remove the top part of the dash, while we had it off we (well Steve) placed some thin adhesive foam I had to anything which looked a likely culprit.....but no good i'm afraid.

Today I took the top part of the dash off again and added more foam to the silver bracket which the airbag sits into as well as to the rear of the airbag itself.....still no good.

I am now thinking it may possibly be the passenger speaker (anyone know how I can get to it, told you I have limited knowledge but am learning fast lol) or something the other side of the bulkhead knocking.

I don't think my shifts are going to allow me to get to the Southern Softies meet next Saturday, but i'm willing to travel if anyone has any ideas.

LiamT4
Friday 16th March 2012, 16:37
Strangely my car has a similar noise, but on the drivers side. Its not that annoying for me because, for some reason, its only when its cold and even then it dissappears after about 5-10mins, once the car has warmed up.

Haizum74
Friday 16th March 2012, 18:10
Get some music going with heavy bass and have it playing out of that speaker and listen for an rattles. I reckon its the speaker itself. Did it rattle when you took stuff off?

V70 Graham
Friday 16th March 2012, 19:32
Get some music going with heavy bass and have it playing out of that speaker and listen for an rattles. I reckon its the speaker itself. Did it rattle when you took stuff off?

It's not the dash speaker, put foam under that last week, and it was secure.....gonna check the passenger door speaker in the morning.

simpT5
Saturday 17th March 2012, 17:24
This sounds very much like one or more of your dashboard mounting points have broken.

Have you tried tightening the four 10mm bolts that are accessed underneath the scuttle panel under the bonnet? sometimes just gently nipping them up can help.

I took the plunge and took my whole dash out, this is what I found.....http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27172