PDA

View Full Version : Just popped my head gasket! Doh

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:15
Actuator line split at the turbo over boosted and now I have fumes pressurising my header tank. Can't afford to fix ATM and no space or time or enthusiasm to DIY it, so may be for sale or swap soon!

merc85
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:20
Damm mitch, sorry to hear the news buddy especially after all the hard work you have put into it.

Fix it buddy, surly youd regret selling it.

AndysR
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:28
Oh that's not a good way to end the day :(

I really don't think you should sell it though, if cash is tight can you not find somewhere to store it for a while?

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:29
I know mate. Used the last of my money on it now and got hols and other bills that are more important ATM. The missus has been patient enough and I just can't justify throwing another load of cash at it. Still drives fine and doesn't overheat but I'm getting fumes in header tank.

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:30

I really don't think you should sell it though, if cash is tight can you not find somewhere to store it for a while?

I could but I need wheels and don't wanna risk causing engine damage by keep driving it

Al115
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:40
Really not good news. Sorry to hear that mate.

Kingsford G
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:44

U deffo regret it mate,a good advise up here and sorry to hear that.

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 20:40
I know mate, I'd probably regret selling it but just can't justify another penny ATM. I thought I had a bit of trouble free motoring ahead of me.

T5frankie
Thursday 8th March 2012, 20:50
I know mate, I'd probably regret selling it but just can't justify another penny ATM. I thought I had a bit of trouble free motoring ahead of me.

no such thing with a modded volvo mate lol

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 21:02
no such thing with a modded volvo mate lol

I know mate, I'm beginning to think my old R5 GT Turbo was more reliable than my volvos lol

T5frankie
Thursday 8th March 2012, 21:08
I know mate, I'm beginning to think my old R5 GT Turbo was more reliable than my volvos lol

no mate not that bad. head gasket every 200 miles in one of those lol

LiamT4
Thursday 8th March 2012, 21:11
Bad luck mate.

But heres something to cheer you up, §§§§nal have signed podolski, which is good.

me thinks the swear filter is a bit over the top.
It covers up §§§§nal, when surely its tottenham that shouldn't be allowed. lol

bigrotch
Thursday 8th March 2012, 21:21
Man that's a §§§§ter dude stick with it bud

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 21:48
Bad luck mate.

But heres something to cheer you up, §§§§nal have signed podolski, which is good.

me thinks the swear filter is a bit over the top.
It covers up §§§§nal, when surely its tottenham that shouldn't be allowed. lol

§§§§nal signed a new player? Naaaa I'm not having it mate, has he spent some money???

I'll be at the Newcastle game on Monday, can't wait. Lucky I'm getting the train up and not the Volvo haha.

Anyone want a t4? Lightly modded. 1 careful owner =]

woody
Thursday 8th March 2012, 21:53
Dam, sorry to hear that bud. If mine went pop now, I'd be in the exact same position as you. Keep going mate and all the very best with it.

LiamT4
Thursday 8th March 2012, 21:53
§§§§nal signed a new player? Naaaa I'm not having it mate, has he spent some money???

I'll be at the Newcastle game on Monday, can't wait. Lucky I'm getting the train up and not the Volvo haha.

Anyone want a t4? Lightly modded. 1 careful owner =]

I know, i nearly fainted. lol

volvo
Thursday 8th March 2012, 22:00
thats sh$$$ news mate, sorry to hear that after all that effort.....

just try maybe put it away for a while till you get a hand or can sort it out, would be a shame to see it go now after all that

all the best mate
Qady

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 22:09
Cheers guys. I'm really §§§§ed off with it ATM. All the research, effort, cash and sorting all the teething probs and it does this to me! Seriously considering throwing the towel in. Absolutely annihilated an Imprexa STI 05 plate yesterday too so I was buzzing. He even acknowledged his miserable defeat at the roundabout lol then a quick blat today, didn't notice the boost gauge until too late. Got home and could hear the exhaust fumes bubbling in the coolant!

LiamT4
Thursday 8th March 2012, 22:14
just have think to yourself how much you enjoyed pasting that scooby and how good it could be when its finished, then decide if its worth keeping and fixing it when you have the cash/time.

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 22:28
just have think to yourself how much you enjoyed pasting that scooby and how good it could be when its finished, then decide if its worth keeping and fixing it when you have the cash/time.

I know mate, it's great fun when I put my foot down. Really flies. Surprised that it's still pretty good on fuel even with all the mods. Not going to make any rash decisions yet as I'd stand to lose a hell of a lot of money!!!

M-R-P
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:40
Sleep on it mate, The amout of times the big sweed nearly ended up as dog food tins... I just couldn't do it. We'll be paying for the bloody speedo when we finish paying the mortgage!
Perhaps a vpc head gasket meet is in order? (not sure if I could make it but it's not a bad idea;))

smithy
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:52
thats badluck mate are u sure its the headgasket mate is the header tank pressureising and what boost did the car hit mate

mitchyboy01
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:57
Sleep on it mate, The amout of times the big sweed nearly ended up as dog food tins... I just couldn't do it. We'll be paying for the bloody speedo when we finish paying the mortgage!
Perhaps a vpc head gasket meet is in order? (not sure if I could make it but it's not a bad idea;))

Lol, I've been like that with every car I've owned at some point. The thing I'm still trying to learn is when is the best point to throw the towel in. Trying to explain to the missus the next thing wrong with it is wearing a bit thin now lol. Thanks for the offer bud but I don't expect charity. I need to sleep on it and decide what to do next.

mitchyboy01
Friday 9th March 2012, 00:02
thats badluck mate are u sure its the headgasket mate is the header tank pressureising and what boost did the car hit mate

Hi mate, sorry didn't answer missus asleep next to me! It hit 30+ psi although when happened once before it was fine.

Header tank is pressurising although not getting hot. Stays at 90degrees although the excess pressure causes it to spill coolant at high revs. It's fine normal driving. No water in oil. Still pulls hard. It looks like a glittery substance in the oily gunge too.

mitchyboy01
Friday 9th March 2012, 00:03
Double posted. Bloody iPad crap

M-R-P
Friday 9th March 2012, 00:06
Lol, I've been like that with every car I've owned at some point. The thing I'm still trying to learn is when is the best point to throw the towel in. Trying to explain to the missus the next thing wrong with it is wearing a bit thin now lol. Thanks for the offer bud but I don't expect charity. I need to sleep on it and decide what to do next.

No such thing as charity here dude ;)

jardon
Friday 9th March 2012, 09:26
Think of the situation from the point of view of a potential buyer - it would a be a performance bargain. If it is just the headgasket then change it when you have time or funds available. Don't look at it for a few days, cool down and then work out a solution.

mitchyboy01
Saturday 10th March 2012, 15:52
Well I've chilled out a bit now and i'm probably going to fix it.

Just did a compression test and it's slightly down on No.3. Figures in bar were:

12.3, 12.0, 11.4, 12.1

Haizum74
Sunday 11th March 2012, 00:48
Well I've chilled out a bit now and i'm probably going to fix it.

Just did a compression test and it's slightly down on No.3. Figures in bar were:

12.3, 12.0, 11.4, 12.1

Isnt it about 2 bar between em that indicates an issue?

mitchyboy01
Sunday 11th March 2012, 00:53
Isnt it about 2 bar between em that indicates an issue?

Usually mate but what else could cause my header take to have fumes in it and oil residue?

M-R-P
Sunday 11th March 2012, 00:56
Usually mate but what else could cause my header take to have fumes in it and oil residue?

Your missus trying to sabotage the thing that's cost her a new oven, underwear and patio doors lol ;)