PDA

View Full Version : Seat belts seems short......

I want a T5
Thursday 8th March 2012, 08:11
My problem is that recent addition to the family by way of a grandaughter, means that I sometimes need to transport said infant in a baby seat that is secured by the seat belt.

It is a real struggle to clip the buckle after having wound the belt around the seat in the required manner.

Does anyone know if there is a way of lengthening the belt? Maybe an extension thingy that you see on planes for rather large people???

M-R-P
Thursday 8th March 2012, 08:24
Surely, so long as you get the buckle in, that's the important thing. I would double-check the instructions, in case you're winding the belt round too many parts. With the car seat in mine, it can be wound left or right handed and it's easy to misread the instructions and wind the belt round the top anchor on both sides.

jayeastanglia
Thursday 8th March 2012, 09:26
you can buy a extension for the belt just make sure you get the right buckle on the extension..some child seats are a bit tight on 850's

Redbrick
Thursday 8th March 2012, 09:28
I'm sure Volvo used to do a longer seatbelt for the more 'ample gentleman'. ;)

Probably cost you though!

T5frankie
Thursday 8th March 2012, 10:17
I have the same problem in my 850, sometimes when you think its all out though it isn't and there is a little more,

jayeastanglia
Thursday 8th March 2012, 11:59
This is simlar to our one..(wifes preggas so she dont like the belt to tight.)Had my extension in the car at hlm dyno day on saturday as well..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Seat-Belt-Extension-330mm-13-/300674702539?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item46019bdccb

popuptoaster
Thursday 8th March 2012, 12:02
Your supposed to buy a seat that fits your car, not the other way round, took us ages to find one that would fit both my old XR4i and my then girlfriends mk2 Astra. There are usually baby seat fitting sessions at the big mother and baby stores so you can try out the seats to get the right one.

Not all baby seats will fit all cars and if you have the wrong one then thats a risk you have to weigh up over the trouble of finding the right one.

Mongo
Thursday 8th March 2012, 12:55
Ive gota booster seat/child seat in my armrest lol handy! If i had kids lol

I want a T5
Thursday 8th March 2012, 14:00
Your supposed to buy a seat that fits your car, not the other way round, took us ages to find one that would fit both my old XR4i and my then girlfriends mk2 Astra. There are usually baby seat fitting sessions at the big mother and baby stores so you can try out the seats to get the right one.

Not all baby seats will fit all cars and if you have the wrong one then thats a risk you have to weigh up over the trouble of finding the right one.

A fair shout Mr Toaster and one that I agree with. I didnt buy it......

Have managed to find a belt extension for a fiver on eBay. I'll see how this works out and if its not good enough, then I'll look for another seat. I wont be compromising the safety of my grandaughter. I just wish people would not intefere and just buy the first seat that comes along becuase its cheap.....

I could rant here but wont!

popuptoaster
Thursday 8th March 2012, 14:07
Typically the one we had to buy was one of the dearest. lol

T5frankie
Thursday 8th March 2012, 14:08
i didnt realise seat belts were different sizes i spent £700 on a pram/babyseat combo it would only fit after buying a surefix car seat base

I want a T5
Thursday 8th March 2012, 15:10
I think the manufacturers of anything to do with baby/child safety bend us over and rape us as safety is something that should never be compromised.......

Daughter should have tied her damn knees together!

jayeastanglia
Thursday 8th March 2012, 16:04
i didnt realise seat belts were different sizes i spent £700 on a pram/babyseat combo it would only fit after buying a surefix car seat base

we was lucky on first baby as we was given a pram/pushchair car seat combo thing which is great as even now 17 months later he still fits ok in the pushchair,going to be on the lookout for a newer one soon as wife haing another in august(must have been something in our water in nov/dec as last baby was caught in same date either that or my birthday treat)

popuptoaster
Thursday 8th March 2012, 16:08
I had trouble all round, I'm 6'6" and my missus was 5'2" so I wanted a set with adjustable handles on the pram/push chair thing, for what we spent I could have bought another reasonable car. :S

stribo
Thursday 8th March 2012, 18:26

Surely it's not very PC to call the mothers big, they may just be carrying some 'baby weight'. :hilarious

volvokid
Thursday 8th March 2012, 19:27
If you can get isofix, its much safer and its easy and quick to clip the seat in, my V40 and V70 has it

T5frankie
Thursday 8th March 2012, 20:19
If you can get isofix, its much safer and its easy and quick to clip the seat in, my V40 and V70 has it

older cars aint got the isofix fittings thats why i bought a surefix car seat base the car seat clicks into and locks

volvokid
Thursday 8th March 2012, 20:33
older cars aint got the isofix fittings thats why i bought a surefix car seat base the car seat clicks into and locks

There may be a volvo option though, i had to by isofix brackets from rufe, the V70 should have had it but iso fix back then was controversial and there wasnt a actual set size for the base so most car company's fitted there own style, but in my car it was never fitted