PDA

View Full Version : Turbos, Turbos, Turbos!

daza-b
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:18
Hiya guys, been offered an 18t for the t5, questions are:

How much extra boost will it take compared to the 16t

How much psi can i put through with the MBC on standard internals?

Will the ecu have to be mapped to compensate for the 18t or will the t5 ecu i have be ok?

Also would anybody be interested in my 16t so help fund for the 18t?

thanks in advance :D

T5frankie
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:21
an 18t wont push any extra boost, your ecu will be fine running it, its just a little bigger so you will get an extra 10 bhp for nothing, got to remember 16 t's 18's and 19t's are all similar in size and are all good turbos

daza-b
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:22
an 18t wont push any extra boost, your ecu will be fine running it, its just a little bigger so you will get an extra 10 bhp for nothing

thats cool, 10bhp is 10 bhp lol, for the price i have been offered it for i cant really grumble and i would rather have that little extra :) also what psi can i run them at to be safe...ish lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:24
Best advice i would give is make sure your 16t has no cracks in the exhaust housing before you flog it, regardless of how well it works, cracked turbos don't go down well.
Standard innards can handle about 350bhp if used correctly, don't know what that equates to in psi but It's bloody fast enough lol.
If you can hold out for a 19t or kkk24 (racist) turbo, you're in a better stead to hit 400bhp with the correct hardware/software upgrades.
It all depends on how deep your pockets are ;)

T5frankie
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:24
thats cool, 10bhp is 10 bhp lol, for the price i have been offered it for i cant really grumble and i would rather have that little extra :) also what psi can i run them at to be safe...ish lol

same as a 16t mate 17-18 psi is ok i reckon, i ran 22psi for a few months and alot of racing but ended in tears in the end

T5frankie
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:27
Best advice i would give is make sure your 16t has no cracks in the exhaust housing before you flog it, regardless of how well it works, cracked turbos don't go down well.
Standard innards can handle about 350bhp if used correctly, don't know what that equates to in psi but It's bloody fast enough lol.
If you can hold out for a 19t or kkk24 (racist) turbo, you're in a better stead to hit 400bhp with the correct hardware/software upgrades.

you cant get anywhere near 400bhp from a 19t or a kkk mate lol more like 330bhp the most

daza-b
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:29

yea was thinking that but im going to be building a separate engine with a massive turbo etc on so was just thinking of keeping the one i got at the min standard...ish lol

same as a 16t mate 17-18 psi is ok i reckon, i ran 22psi for a few months and alot of racing but ended in tears in the end

lol i can imagine mate, 17-18psi will see me right for now :) so you reckon i should just stick with the 16t for now?

T5frankie
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:32
yea was thinking that but im going to be building a separate engine with a massive turbo etc on so was just thinking of keeping the one i got at the min standard...ish lol

lol i can imagine mate, 17-18psi will see me right for now :) so you reckon i should just stick with the 16t for now?

16t's are a really good all round turbo mate obviously 18's are slightly better especially when tuning, look at dan850r's t5-r the other day pushed the same power as mine with a 19t and his is a 16t

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:38
Right firstly the 18T will make a marked difference. I went from a 16T to an 18T and it was like night and day.

Boost on stock internals... well that is a sore subject really, I have in the past and run at the moment 18psi or so. Its really down to driving style. Each car is different, Woody has run 1.3 bar for the last 50k and had no problems but some run 1.3 bar for a day and bend a rod.

As for the map if you have a standard ECU then it wont cut it as the boost cut will kick in at around 1.1 bar, although a mapped ECU should adapt there is nothing better than a dedicated map and I would certainly fit a wideband AFR gauge or get it on the rollers.

T5frankie
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:41
and the end of the day they are all tiddly little turbos get a garrett gt3071

Volvostorm
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:48
and the end of the day they are all tiddly little turbos get a garrett gt3071

Sounds a good idea! :smileypul

Dan850r
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:49
If the 18t is mint id get it but most now are getting on a bit, i think my 16t was pretty new, so might explain something

AndysR
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 22:50
You can ruin a sound engine by overboosting with a 15G so it's all about how the boost is controlled and how it is introduced. Quite simply a low down boost spike will kill a T5. The larger turbos can give more potential for low down boost spikes due to the nature in which the boost is delivered. Careful mapping, sensible driving or sensible boost control will help to prevent this. As mentioned I've heard of people bending rods running a little over 1.2 bar at low rpm but under wot conditions on a cold day. Then there are others who run 1.3 plus bar with the correct control. If the 16T is in a good state of health then it may well perform as well as a knackered 18T. Condition of the car and turbo are the crucial elements to consider when swapping/upgrading a turbo.

Jamest5r
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 00:34
T35 is the way to go daz :)

daza-b
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 00:55
lol sorry guys was on the phone, so we think that the best idea is to stick with the 16t??

LiamT4
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 00:58
lol sorry guys was on the phone, so we think that the best idea is to stick with the 16t??

Depends, If the 18t is in good condition and a decent price, you may as well get it.

M-R-P
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 00:59
Like I said, depends on your pocket-depth and how you drive it ;)
Nice chatting to you by the way :)

daza-b
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 01:02
Depends, If the 18t is in good condition and a decent price, you may as well get it.

should be and its gonna be around 50 notes :)

Like I said, depends on your pocket-depth and how you drive it ;)
Nice chatting to you by the way :)

lol this engine is staying pretty much standard, its my project engine thats having my wallet thrown at it, was good chatting to u too bud, longest i have ever spent on a phone lmao!!

bigrotch
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 04:06
50notes snap it up

bigrotch
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 07:00
Mate if u don't want I I'll take it mate ok

dalhousie2008
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 08:29
I've got a mint 16t angled in garage i was gonna turn into a 19t like niles but as it's so good I'll ptob just use as is. T5 chris said he had 311 with a 16t, so may be an easier route for when I start tuning work on one.

mitchyboy01
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 16:16
Mo hit 372bhp using the k24. 19t is around 330. Max as Frankie says. Some people have hit a bit more though with loads of supporting mods.

daza-b
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 16:18
cheers guys, for the price i think im gonna buy it and use it for now, ill just keep the mbc turned down lol

bigrotch
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 16:41
mate the 18t you can run upto 20psi fella just feed it on after 3.500rpm just make sure ya afrs are good as mitch says

daza-b
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 16:42
mate the 18t you can run upto 20psi fella just feed it on after 3.500rpm just make sure ya afrs are good as mitch says

cheers mate, so if i do 18psi that will do nicely? lol

bigrotch
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 17:03
cheers mate, so if i do 18psi that will do nicely? lol

mate u will notice the differance fella bigtime forshore have fun remember to feed it tho lol

daza-b
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 17:17
mate u will notice the differance fella bigtime forshore have fun remember to feed it tho lol

lol i wont notice much difference, not even drove it with the 16t on yet haha

bigrotch
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 17:22
lol