PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide.

wacky racer
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:27
Hi all.
Would like to know that products you use to clean your cars.
May sound like a silly question but now i have a car with decent bodywork i would like to keep it at its best for as long as possible.
I have cleaned plenty of cars over the years mine and customers at work but apart from washing, a bit of polish, a hoover and some dash cleaner thats about as far as my knowledge goes.
Anyone got an idiots guide of best products to use and how best to use then?
Thanks.

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:39
i use autoglym for paint and wheels...on the black plastics,i use smooth peanut butter,gives a than other products i tried...good original appearance and the oils in it make it last longer

shepbomb
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:41
Ive been using meguiars for years and swear by it.. and they have a very helpful forum

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:45
I have a guide on BRV

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/galleries/july_2006_CYC.htm

I also use Snow foam prewash instead of an initial rinse.

Best thing to start with is to buy 2 buckets! 2 bucket method is a must in order to avoid further damage to your clearcoat. Grit guards in the buckets are optional but recommended.

you could do worse reading the advice on here too...

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html

LiamT4
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:46
Ive been using meguiars for years and swear by it.. and they have a very helpful forum

+1 for me

For a combination of quality, cost and ease of use i think they have excellent products.

AndysR
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:07
Two bucket method when cleaning a dirty car is a MUST in my eyes.

I use

Meguiars NXT Generation car wash

Sheepskin wash mit for the body and a synthetic wash mit for the wheels.

Three buckets used, 1 for the wheels inner arches and sills, 1 for the body and glass and the other is fresh water used in conjuction with the bucket I use for the body.

Autoglyn Ultra deep shine is a very good polish great for hiding minor scratches etc.

Poorboys blue wax

Poorboys body sealant

Autosol for the exhaust

Autoglym glass cleaner and Rainex for the windows.

Zymol polish for the wheels

They're the usual culprits for me...although I use others if I'm going for a valet.

t5steve
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:36
+1 for me

For a combination of quality, cost and ease of use i think they have excellent products.

+2 can't fault meguires...................very good products and easy to use............i wash my car once a month using meguires wash n wax and it always gets comments at essex meet about how clean my car is

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:39
seems the general consensus this meguires......never seen or heard of it!
is this mail order?? it sounds good by what you fella's say..........
or is my local motor factors s***!!!!!

volvokid
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:43
seems the general consensus this meguires......never seen or heard of it!
is this mail order?? it sounds good by what you fella's say..........
or is my local motor factors s***!!!!!

LOL you have never heard of it they are the future autoglym, there proper detailing range is quite good but you wont get it in halfrauds, you will get there standard stuff though. I use there hyper wash for my snow foam lance, multi purpose cleaner, all season dressing, last touch and degreaser. Detailing gets very expensive if you get into it so be warned ;)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:56
I use quite a lot of Chemical Guys (CG) stuff from Cleanyourcar (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk)

Personal favs/highly rated products

prewash - Snowfoam & Megs Hyperwash - Karcher foam lance
Wash - Waschmitt foam wash mitt - CG Citrus Wash & gloss
Clay - Sonus grey or green
Wheels - Bilberry wheel wash (diluted 1 in 5)
Iron X Soap for very bad wheels

Carlach68 special cleanerl ( degreaser) great for engine bays
Aerospace 303 protectant as a dressing
Fav wax - CG Petes 53 signature paste wax.

CG waterless carwash/QD

There are many other bits for machine polishing that I use but to be fair I wouldnt bore you with them all.

Haizum74
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 13:28
I use quite a lot of Chemical Guys (CG) stuff from Cleanyourcar (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk)

Personal favs/highly rated products

prewash - Snowfoam & Megs Hyperwash - Karcher foam lance
Wash - Waschmitt foam wash mitt - CG Citrus Wash & gloss
Clay - Sonus grey or green
Wheels - Bilberry wheel wash (diluted 1 in 5)
Iron X Soap for very bad wheels

Carlach58 special cleanerl ( degreaser) great for engine bays
Aerospace 303 protectant as a dressing
Fav wax - CG Petes 53 signature paste wax.

CG waterless carwash/QD

There are many other bits for machine polishing that I use but to be fair I wouldnt bore you with them all.

What can you use with the clay bar if you run out of spray solution. Also I read you can use the clay bar for your windscreen too. That right?

volvokid
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 13:41
What can you use with the clay bar if you run out of spray solution. Also I read you can use the clay bar for your windscreen too. That right?

Buy more, soapy water but i wouldn't recommend that. Get megs last touch. Yes u can do windows

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 14:31
I have a gallon of Megs last touch - which you can dilute 1 in 4 which is plenty good enough for claying.

Haizum74
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 14:03
Buy more, soapy water but i wouldn't recommend that. Get megs last touch. Yes u can do windows

Only got small pockets. There must be something else you can use.

andybrown
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 14:18
i use majinly auto glym, never cared much for the meggys shampoo.

I use the meggys glass cleaner and tyre shine though... they are pretty good

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 16:15
Megs endurance tyre thing when I remember is good stuff. I have gold class shampoo - but only for when I accidentally run out of CG stuff.

alderman
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 13:04
Hi I use Zymol on my V70 its not cheap but if you get the starter pack it comes with a pre cleanse and a jar full of wax and cleaning cloths. Easy to use and a fantastic deep shine. this wax is used on show cars and has won many awards

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 13:13
Welcome to the forum : I also use Zymol (the cleaner wax with banana and stuff in it. smells lovely lol) simoniz shampoo (can't remember which but it's thick and bright yellow) hard shell wax and autoglym Gold, but not necessarily in that order lol.

Why not pop over to the "introduce yourself" forum and say "Hi", tell us a bit about yourself ;) I see you've been a member since 2009 and not had any posts - silent type? lol.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 14:01
Thinking of organising a detailing day for anyone from newbs, keen amateurs, OCD to professionals alike? What do people think?

M-R-P
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 14:09
As always with me mate, depends where ;)

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 14:36
Thinking of organising a detailing day for anyone from newbs, keen amateurs, OCD to professionals alike? What do people think?

I would certainly be interested too, I have tried and tried with many and looked back and thought "The kosovan could have done it three hours quicker and my hand would still be intact".

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 15:29
The east europeans are hard working but lack any real skill.

V70 Graham
Tuesday 27th March 2012, 15:52
Put me down as an also very interested.....depending on location.