PDA

View Full Version : Front Wishbone, front bush

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:10
Hi.
I discovered that front wishbone front bushes are gone and i want to replace them with powerflex bushes,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerflex-Fr-Wishbone-Bushes-Volvo-S60-2000-PFF88-601-/260667556690?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb0ff4352
Is that all i need?
OEM ones have mounting pins with 2 threaded holes, do i reuse them with those poly bushes?

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:13
Hold on, I'll post a link...

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:15
This should do it ;)
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38699

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:20
Thats everything i wanted to know and even more.
Great job mate, many thanx.

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:25
Happy to help mate. That's why we're here :)any problems, just ask.

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:34
glad you reignited that ....got a strange knock from the nearside...in fact martin,i think its your fault...you did tell me to go and enjoy it.....AND I DID!! pmsl

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:41
glad you reignited that ....got a strange knock from the nearside...in fact martin,i think its your fault...you did tell me to go and enjoy it.....AND I DID!! pmsl

Was it a knock while coming off then on the throttle or when hitting a bump round a corner?

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:42
Happy to help mate. That's why we're here :)any problems, just ask.
Hopefully will be able to help one day :)

Ive noticed knocking today and couldn't resist to find out whats the reason.

Does Powerflex do front wishbone rear bushes?

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:44
Was it a knock while coming off then on the throttle or when hitting a bump round a corner?

a slight knock over uneven road..not load,just know its there if u know what i mean. tried coming off/on throttle and all good....hoping nice and easy droplink otherwise,like ur link,time to play with fire!!

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:46

With regards to the knocking, see my reply to shane's post.
I don't believe they do rear bushes, but they rarely fail.

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:48
a slight knock over uneven road..not load,just know its there if u know what i mean. tried coming off/on throttle and all good....hoping nice and easy droplink otherwise,like ur link,time to play with fire!!

Get the wheel off and start levering things, see what moves most. Probably droplinks tho.

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:53
Get the wheel off and start levering things, see what moves most. Probably droplinks tho.

taking it to work tomorrow...so will av a play there....will let you know!

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:54
Todays knocking was definitely while driving on the irregular surface,
but i do get slight knocking while comming coming off then on the throttle.
That probably will be one of the engine mounts, but i replaced one of the top ones.

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:55
by the way,nice looking s60 you got there...looks good in that colour!!!!

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:02
Todays knocking was definitely while driving on the irregular surface,
but i do get slight knocking while comming coming off then on the throttle.
That probably will be one of the engine mounts, but i replaced one of the top ones.

The knocking on and off the throttle will be the hub bolt coming lose. Tighten it with some threadlocker or get some xc90 bolts, hey have rubber washers. While the wheel is off, check the.droplinks. since you have the polys, fit them anyway cos the difference is fantastic ;)

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:05
The knocking on and off the throttle will be the hub bolt coming lose. Tighten it with some threadlocker or get some xc90 bolts, hey have rubber washers. While the wheel is off, check the.droplinks. since you have the polys, fit them anyway cos the difference is fantastic ;)

dont mean to be a thread stealer but xc90 bolts?????

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:11
Yep, that's right Shane. All the P2 stuff shares a number of parts. The hub bolts are interchangable although the xc90 ones have a rubber washer that helps stop them from shaking loose.

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:12
Are u talking about 20 or 22?

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:13
by the way,nice looking s60 you got there...looks good in that colour!!!!
Thanx mate, just standard S60.

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:17
Thanx mate, just standard S60.

same as mine,standard....me and the wife are hunting for a car for her to replace her focus we've had for about 400 years,and she came in the room while i was havin a nose at your pics....i feel that has just cost me a load of money!! :wallbash:
lol

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:19
Are u talking about 20 or 22?

20 mate ;)

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:47
20 is quite big one and it should be tightened with high torque.
Can't believe that it comes lose

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:51
20 is quite big one and it should be tightened with high torque.
Can't believe that it comes lose

after what martin put,i had a good nose through various threads,and theres quite a bit about this!! something else for me being an s60 owner to worry about...lol

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:52
I know. They're stretch bolts ya see... They work loose with the microscopic fidgiting of the hub.

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:53
same as mine,standard....me and the wife are hunting for a car for her to replace her focus we've had for about 400 years,and she came in the room while i was havin a nose at your pics....i feel that has just cost me a load of money!! :wallbash:
lol
Sounds like since tonight u r looking for light blue S60 :)

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:56
I know. They're stretch bolts ya see... They work loose with the microscopic fidgiting of the hub.
Will definitely have a look at that.
I reckon Loctite should sort it out.

local-looney
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:58
Sounds like since tonight u r looking for light blue S60 :)

lol....it got the wife thinking!!!!

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:05
Will definitely have a look at that.
I reckon Loctite should sort it out.

That's what I thought.... Lasts a few weeks ;)

fassi1
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:35
So that means that only XC90 Driveshaft Bolts will sort it out?
Maybe use really strong threadlocker?
There is many with a different strength.

M-R-P
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:49
What I believe it to be is... When these cover an amount of miles, there's wear between the driveshafts and hub. This wear manifests itself in a tiny amount of movement which can, but not always, loosen the hub bolt. My drivers side one is fine. I discovered that my passenger side one was missing, shortly after I got the car and by then, the damage was done. I bought a new bolt for it but with all the loctite in the world, It won't stay put for more than a month :(, however, give it a try and see how you get on. The rubber washer on the xc bolts take the little bit of movement out before it starts undoing the bolt - usually.

Here it is, in the middle of the big, shiny, round thing :)
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMG00166-20111012-1150.jpg

Redbrick
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 01:16

Available from Superflex, if you really need them and sell a kidney

http://www.superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=423

Just to add I powerflexed the fronts at 100K, the rears are still OK at 185K.

Some Plod P2's have different front pins and Powerflex bushes don't fit.

fassi1
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 07:08
What I believe it to be is... When these cover an amount of miles, there's wear between the driveshafts and hub. This wear manifests itself in a tiny amount of movement which can, but not always, loosen the hub bolt. My drivers side one is fine. I discovered that my passenger side one was missing, shortly after I got the car and by then, the damage was done. I bought a new bolt for it but with all the loctite in the world, It won't stay put for more than a month :(, however, give it a try and see how you get on. The rubber washer on the xc bolts take the little bit of movement out before it starts undoing the bolt - usually.

Here it is, in the middle of the big, shiny, round thing :)
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/IMG00166-20111012-1150.jpg

Can't wait to check the bolts on mine.

M-R-P
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 08:25
Available from Superflex, if you really need them and sell a kidney

http://www.superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=423

Just to add I powerflexed the fronts at 100K, the rears are still OK at 185K.

Some Plod P2's have different front pins and Powerflex bushes don't fit.

Ouch! they're expensive :eek:

From what I've seen, if the bush has been replaced with pattern ones, sometimes the pin is straight rather than fluted, this will over-compress the poly and stop it fitting correctly.

fassi1
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:02
I put poly bushes on today and must say that it is pain in the ass job.
Pin was straight but i fluted it with an angle grinder so it fits nicely without squeezing.
Above instructions were very handy so big thanx.
Drive shaft bolts weren't loose and they look like brand new, maybe already replaced with some proper ones.

M-R-P
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:20
Glad it went ok mate but I would have reemed out the bush, rather than grinding the pin, mainly for speed and ease :)
What was hardest?...
Getting the old bush out or inserting the new one?

fassi1
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:36
I think getting the old ones out was quite hard but inserting new ones wasn't easy aswell.
The good news is that its all done. :)

M-R-P
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:42
I think getting the old ones out was quite hard but inserting new ones wasn't easy aswell.
The good news is that its all done. :)

And? what does she feel like now?
I did the polys, shocks, top mounts and track rods all in a weekend so I don't know what made the biggest difference. I think you'll find the steering feels more precise.;)

fassi1
Thursday 8th March 2012, 23:51
Yeah steering is more precise.