PDA

View Full Version : V70R versions, spec and options?

markc555
Monday 5th March 2012, 12:04
Hello chaps,

I'm new here having joined on the basis that fancy a V70R wagon. I'd like to know what I'm looking at and also what I'm looking for when viewing at one of these beasties.

Do you know if anyone has written a good FAQ on them? If so where can I find it?

Wikipedia advises that there are 3 "phases" of V70R, is the information here correct?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_V70

I've read here that the AWD cars can eat transfer boxes just by uneven tyre wear? Are these hard and/or expensive to repair?

What about the gearboxes. I fancy an auto, are these reliable? Is the later 5spd one much better, is the earlier 4spd one a bit "short legged" on the motorway? Are they equally reliable?

Lastly cosmetics. What wheels should the different phases be wearing? I've seen some on the "flat" spoke alloys (similar to the 850's) and some on the "twisted" spoke ones, which are correct? Also, I believe the phase 3 cars had twin exhausts but I've seen cars with a single exhaust and the rear bumper has a blanking panel where the left (looking from behind) exhaust, what going on there?

Thank you in advance for your assistance :)

Mark

Al115
Monday 5th March 2012, 13:40
What phase V70R are you considering? Your budget will dictate that, probably.

markc555
Monday 5th March 2012, 15:46
I'm looking at the lower end of the price scale, probably sub £2K. From what I can see available on Autotrader etc, the prices seem to be more dependent on mileage than model year/phase? Given that there is only a 3 yr range (1997-2000) to choose from and that even the newest cars are 12yrs old I'd expect that.

Prices of older cars like these tend to be based more on condition and history, then mileage and finally which version or spec/options they are?

Having said that, what should I look out for in an R "reg" (phase 1?) AWD automatic?

Cheers

Mark

t5 pete
Monday 5th March 2012, 15:56
You will be looking at the phase 1 v70r then which imho are the best as the latter 2 suffer from 4wd problems are also me7 and the phase 2 has a rare auto box and the phase 3 most people end up breaking them if the auto box dies as getitng hold of one is next to impossible.
Also the phase 1 auto boxs are brilliant they seem quite strong very smooth and no problems witht hem being 4 speed at 80mph they sit well under 3k

dalhousie2008
Monday 5th March 2012, 16:22
Yeah I've got 3 auto and quite like them. They aren't short geared, 4 speeds have longer gears than manual around 80 in second and loser rpm on motorways than manuals, just make sure oil has been changed and not black on dipstick

T5frankie
Monday 5th March 2012, 18:04
yeah mate a p, r or early s reg 2wd auto is what you want, dont get an awd mate

markc555
Monday 5th March 2012, 20:46
Thanks chaps.

Frankie, are those the correct wheels (in the pic) for a phase 1? What are the "twist spokes" fitted to, phase 2 and/or 3?

What about the tailpipe cut-out/blanking panels I mentioned, do these indicate a phase 2? The phase 3 has twin exhausts right? Frankie, I see that your's (in the pic?) doesn't have the blanking panel.

IC
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:02
Hello chaps,

I'm new here having joined on the basis that fancy a V70R wagon. I'd like to know what I'm looking at and also what I'm looking for when viewing at one of these beasties.

Do you know if anyone has written a good FAQ on them? If so where can I find it?

Wikipedia advises that there are 3 "phases" of V70R, is the information here correct?

I've read here that the AWD cars can eat transfer boxes just by uneven tyre wear? Are these hard and/or expensive to repair?

What about the gearboxes. I fancy an auto, are these reliable? Is the later 5spd one much better, is the earlier 4spd one a bit "short legged" on the motorway? Are they equally reliable?

Lastly cosmetics. What wheels should the different phases be wearing? I've seen some on the "flat" spoke alloys (similar to the 850's) and some on the "twisted" spoke ones, which are correct? Also, I believe the phase 3 cars had twin exhausts but I've seen cars with a single exhaust and the rear bumper has a blanking panel where the left (looking from behind) exhaust, what going on there?

Mark

Hi, a few years ago I posted this guide to what equipment the '97/'98 V70R/S70R had.

Iain

V70R Specifications 1997/1998 The question of S70/V70R specifications comes up so often that I have decided to write this guide. I have indicated in some cases what items were also available on a T5 as an option. The R series were/are top of the range cars with almost all options as standard (in the case of the Classic range discussed here). The T5 is of course an engine option that has associated upgrades that come with the engine option (not a series like the R). The fwd T5 of this generation have front and rear shock absorber kits as standard. The part number for the front shock absorber kit is 9204 141 and the rear is 9204 142, many T5s have the 302 front discs. The T5 option has the Perfo 16" alloy as standard and a different gearbox to the 2.5 engined cars with the same manual ratios as the R.

What the '97/'98 R has as standard
An asterix beside a listing means that the item/s were R only. The four wheel drive aspects of the V70R AWD are not discussed here.

Comet 205 45 17" alloys in silver bright or anthracite (T5 has 205 50 16" Perfo alloys as standard)*
R leather and alcantara heated electric seats with driver memory (grey or beige)*
Rear safety nets on estate that pull out of back seats (option on T5)
Matching front and back leather door cards (available on CD spec T5)
R Aluminium dash trim(3 part) - option of wood with matching gear stick and steering wheel (not an option at the time, however run-out Classics in 2000 may have aluminium dash).
Climate control (available on CD spec T5)
Blue-backed instrument dials*
Information centre
Leather and alcantara/matching trim wooden steering wheel
Leather gear stick (if wood option trim matching auto wood gear stick)
Electric Glass Sunroof
Illuminated passenger's vanity mirror
R logo mats*
Door kick plates (available on CD spec T5)
Pre-wiring for rear 6 CD changer* (option on T5)
SC 900 RDS Stereo 3 disc cartridge CD/radio (option on T5)
50 watt stereo amplifier (option on T5)
Pull-out cups holders in central armrest (available on CD spec T5)
limited slip diff* (Viscous Coupling) Only on manuals
Traction Control - TRACS
Lowered R suspension (lowered sports suspension was available as an option on the T5)
Stronger anti-roll bars
Rear Nivomat suspension on estate (keeps ride height consistent when carrying loads)
Folding down rear bumper protector
Manual has 18T turbo/automatic has 16T turbo (T5 has 16T)
R front bumper (different lip spoiler to standard bumper) with different design plastic grilles*
R leather and alcantara driver's wheel (alcantara is a synthetic material)*
Rear pull out material bumper protector (estate) (option on T5)
Headlight wash/wipe (available on CD spec T5)
Colours:
Black Stone 019
Nautic Blue (pearl) 417
Silver Metallic 426
Garnet Red (metallic) 428
Saffron (pearl) 435

The manual is 250 bhp and the automatic 240 bhp. (The manual '97/'98 T5 is 240bhp)

*The 18T of the manual R will give better performance than the 16T of the automatic.
*The manual Rs have a better official 0-60 time and a slightly higher top speed than the automatic.
*The manual T5 is faster than the automatic R (just a few tenths of a second!).
*The AWD cars are heavier and slower than the front wheel drive cars, especially in automatic.

T5frankie
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:20
Thanks chaps.

Frankie, are those the correct wheels (in the pic) for a phase 1? What are the "twist spokes" fitted to, phase 2 and/or 3?

What about the tailpipe cut-out/blanking panels I mentioned, do these indicate a phase 2? The phase 3 has twin exhausts right? Frankie, I see that your's (in the pic?) doesn't have the blanking panel.

no mate the ive not seen one with the blanking panel to be honest, my wheels are not standard, the standard wheels for the phase 1's and 2's are comets and come in silver or anthracite, the phase 3's have satellites and come in 16 or 17", the most hassle free v70r's are the early ones without the awd system or the me7 engines and for performance a manual is best. an auto v70r is just an auto t5 dressed up as an "R" with the same engine, turbo ecu etc

markc555
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:47
Perfect, thank you Iain :)

I understand that a manual is the "better" car but this will be a daily driver and it'd have to be an auto for me.

Frankie, I love the look of your Saffron machine :lovestory Just have to find one that looks exactly like it now!

Cheers

Mark

t5 pete
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:51

I understand that a manual is the "better" car but this will be a daily driver and it'd have to be an auto for me.

Frankie, I love the look of your Saffron machine :lovestory Just have to find one that looks exactly like it now!

Cheers

Mark

Thats exaxtly what i did i needed a daily drive so got a auto and its the best thing i ever did.

T5frankie
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:59

Cheers

Mark

you wont mate that's my artisticness

saffronR
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:19
The Exhausts,

Single exit on the passenger side dictates this is a front wheel drive car only, drivers side exit= four wheel drive, Twin could be anything.

Front wheel drive cars have around 10BHP more than the Autos, and are lighter, due to not pulling the 4x4 system around with them, im also believe they have a different turbo fitted too (18T V 16T), id go with the front wheel drive car every time, remember these are old motors, and the less trouble you can buy the better in my, you will still be repairing a car that cost over £33K + when new.

Buy the best you can, history is essential, more than the miles it's showing.

AndysR
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:41
no mate the ive not seen one with the blanking panel to be honest, my wheels are not standard, the standard wheels for the phase 1's and 2's are comets and come in silver or anthracite, the phase 3's have satellites and come in 16 or 17", the most hassle free v70r's are the early ones without the awd system or the me7 engines and for performance a manual is best. an auto v70r is just an auto t5 dressed up as an "R" with the same engine, turbo ecu etc

Almost identical, the auto R has a better torque spread than it's T5 manual or auto equivalent. 2,400 - 5,000 rpm for the R and 2,700 to 5,100 for the T5 ;)
Also the R auto acheives it's maximum HP at a higher RPM (5,600) compared with the T5 (5,100). An auto R is actually quicker to 60 than an auto T5 as a result 7.3 sec's compared with 7.4 for the T5 also bare in mind an R would be slightly heavier due to it's increased equipment levels when compared with the T5 sibbling ;)

An auto R AWD has limited torque to protect the running gear and delivers it in a different fashion again to that of the T5 and R 2WD (229 ibft 2,400-5,400 rpm)

LiamT4
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:49
The main difference i always notice is the ride hight, my R isn't a low car but compared to the t5s its like an elise! lol

Did the 9 speaker dolby pro logic sound system come on the t5s?

markc555
Monday 5th March 2012, 22:49
Frankie, there's one that looks similar to yours, except an Auto, on Autotrader at the moment. Shame it's hundred plus miles from me :(... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201209453908542/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/3000/model/v70/make/volvo/page/11/quicksearch/true/radius/1501/postcode/gu185xh?logcode=p

AndysR
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:02
The main difference i always notice is the ride hight, my R isn't a low car but compared to the t5s its like an elise! lol

Did the 9 speaker dolby pro logic sound system come on the t5s?

9 Speaker system is optional on everything including the R ;)

SC900 and 4x 50W amp was standard on the R but optional on everything else.

Lowered chassis was standard on R (obviously) but not even optional on the 70 series range unlike the 850 range.

LiamT4
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:08
9 Speaker system is optional on everything including the R ;)

SC900 and 4x 50W amp was standard on the R but optional on everything else.

Lowered chassis was standard on R (obviously) but not even optional on the 70 series range unlike the 850 range.

I have the original receipt with my car from 1998 and it mentions that it has the optional dolby pro logic system.

AndysR
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:10
I have the original receipt with my car from 1998 and it mentions that it has the optional dolby pro logic system.

There you go then optional on everything, it was a £600.00 option and not possible to fit in conjunction with the £2,500 RTI kit ;)

LiamT4
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:16
There you go then optional on everything, it was a £600.00 option and not possible to fit in conjunction with the £2,500 RTI kit ;)

The what? lol

AndysR
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:20
The what? lol

RTI - Road Traffic Information.... Swedish for sat nav basically.. lol

Oh and if it wasn't obvious the surround sound system is only available with the SC-900 so on everything other than an R that makes the surround sound system a £1,050.00 option. Needless to say I've never seen the surround sound system fitted to anything other than an R! lol

volvokid
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:22
The what? lol

The amstrad sat nav ;)

LiamT4
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:22
RTI - Road Traffic Information.... Swedish for sat nav basically.. lol

Oh and if it wasn't obvious the surround sound system is only available with the SC-900 so on everything other than an R that makes the surround sound system a £1,050.00 option. Needless to say I've never seen the surround sound system fitted to anything other than an R! lol

Wow, didn't realise you could get sat nav back then.

volvokid
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:24
Have you ever seen it? have a googley for it, it was bogging

volvokid
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:27
Come to think of it I wonder what the RTI was like in the run out P1 C70's since it was the same interior as a 97 V70, they must have updated the setup and the look of it or they deleted it as an option....

AndysR
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:29
Wow, didn't realise you could get sat nav back then.

First generation pop up sat nav. ;)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsyNS_1kN7qJ7-n6XeLnL3AOIXbG4xfDHkyHA5BOAyD-l82JCjT2ZBBi0gUg

You can probably guess why you either had the RTI or the surround sound upgrade due to the location of either the centre speaker or the RTI display. It was even operated with a remote control ;)

LiamT4
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:32
As funky as that looks, i'm glad my s70 has got the pro logic.

AndysR
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:34
As funky as that looks, i'm glad my s70 has got the pro logic.

Lol, lets just say that system wasn't without it's faults or it's overinflated updated software costs. So it's safe to say the original owner made a justified decision ;)

LeeT5
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 03:11
I have to say, i disagree with anyone that says the FWD V70R was a better car and faster than the AWD V70R. It's only 10hp more than a AWD R (P1-Phase 1/2). I had a 1996 T5 auto Estate for 3 years before my AWD R (P1-Phase 2) and the T5 was absolutely useless in the anything wet, damp or icey (even with TRACS on). There was just too much torque at the front. Don't get me wrong, it was great fun and even thou i reigned things in by fitted a strut brace (decreases torque steer massively) it would still wheel spin at 60 mph if you floored it in the wet!

However, The R AWD would waste anything off the line in the wet (unless it was a Audi S4, RS4, RS6, Quattro, Scooby or Evo). FWD cars just couldn't touch it. Whilst they might be a second slower to 60 than a manual, you can sort that out with a decent remap. I remapped mine with a stage 2 BSR ppc (inc filter and cat back exhaust) and it totally transforms the car. A standard T5/FWD R would not touch a remapped AWD R. Best thing about an AWD R auto is you can just plant your foot and smile!!

Remap your AWD R auto and you will increase bhp from 265 to 310 and get rid of the 0 - 30mph torque limiter (Phase 3 cars with 265 man or 250 auto). The remap will have an auto R AWD from 250 to 300 bhp and 435Nm torque.

Also, an R AWD usually come with the Nivomat rear suspension. If it does, i recommend that you do not replace. Aslong as they work they are the nuts. Comfy yet firm when they need to be. I never had trouble with mine and the ride height is always the same, no matter what you put in the boot!

markc555
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 15:42
I didn't mean to start a FWD vs AWD feud chaps :) I suspect that might having been running for a while anyway ;)

I wouldn't be looking to increase the power as a) the car will be a daily driver, and b) 240/250hp is more than adequate. Doing this can only "test" the longevity of the transmission anyway.

With the scarcity of Auto V70R's available at my price range, I think a good car rather than specifically a FWD or AWD will be my priority.

T5frankie
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 17:14
I didn't mean to start a FWD vs AWD feud chaps :) I suspect that might having been running for a while anyway ;)

I wouldn't be looking to increase the power as a) the car will be a daily driver, and b) 240/250hp is more than adequate. Doing this can only "test" the longevity of the transmission anyway.

With the scarcity of Auto V70R's available at my price range, I think a good car rather than specifically a FWD or AWD will be my priority.

fwd manuals are a rare find they are nearly all autos

LeeT5
Sunday 18th March 2012, 21:34
Hello chaps,

Mark

Yes it is pretty much 99% accurate, however, most of Wiki info in relation to these cars is from the US market. There are some anomolies like the T5 2.0, which was only available to the US market and came in White only. Kind of a limited edition version, Incredibly rare and not seen in UK. T5 is only available as a 2.3 (2319cc) on the P1 platform but 2.5 on the P2.

Don't confuse the P1 and P2 with the P1,P2 and P3 on the >2000 model R varients. That applies to the R models only.

If your money can stretch and you want a more up to date version then deffo get the P2 V70R 2003 - 2007. You can have RTI and Dolby surround rather than one or the other as per the P1 platform.

The later R is a completely different car entirely. Bigger, better brakes, bigger engine (2521cc), bigger turbo, 6 spd man or 5 spd auto, 300bhp standard, two fuel pumps, two intercoolers, better cabin, Bi-Xenon lights, 4C suspension. The DynAudio upgrade in the P2 is absolutely incredible especially with the 300w rear 12" subwoofer!!! ....better heated seats, rain sensors, puddle lights, the list of spec is miles long.

Like Al115 said, you need to figure your budget and run with what car you want. Early models are great and will retain that special feel especially if you can get a rare colour, like the laser blue (see my garage), but if you go for the later P2 then your getting a truely special car with better tech and much better AWD system than the early mechanical type.

Both have their limits and both have their own teething problems, but lets be honest, its no different than BMWs that constantly overheat (crap cooling systems) or Mercs that blow SAM units if you so much as fart on the bonnet or do something your not supposed to with the electrics.

Both are brilliant cars, i've had both so am qualified to comment. Personally, i wish i'd kept my Laser but lack of space mean't i couldn't, however, if you asked me to swap with my current R, i'd politely decline without even thinking about it!!

What ever you decide......you will enjoy. Just make sure you get a good one. Take someone with you that knows V70s else get a full HPI and Inspection. Once you iron out the wrinkles from previous owners that can't afford to maintain them properly they really are formidable cars.

Alas, i rest my case. :B_steerin

T5frankie
Sunday 18th March 2012, 21:39
[QUOTE=LeeT5;475463]Yes it is pretty much 99% accurate, however, most of Wiki info in relation to these cars is from the US market. There are some anomolies like the T5 2.0, which was only available to the US market and came in White only. Kind of a limited edition version, Incredibly rare and not seen in UK. T5 is only available as a 2.3 (2319cc) on the P1 platform but 2.5 on the P2.

Don't confuse the P1 and P2 with the P1,P2 and P3 on the >2000 model R varients. That applies to the R models only.

If your money can stretch and you want a more up to date version then deffo get the P2 V70R 2003 - 2007. You can have RTI and Dolby surround rather than one or the other as per the P1 platform.

The later R is a completely different car entirely. Bigger, better brakes, bigger engine (2521cc), bigger turbo, 6 spd man or 5 spd auto, 300bhp standard, two fuel pumps, two intercoolers, better cabin, Bi-Xenon lights, 4C suspension. The DynAudio upgrade in the P2 is absolutely incredible especially with the 300w rear 12" subwoofer!!!

Like Al115 said, you need to figure your budget and run with what car you want. Early models are great and will retain that special feel especially if you can get a rare colour, like the laser blue (see my garage), but if you go for the later P2 then your getting a truely special car with better tech and much better AWD system than the early mechanical type.

Both have their limits and both have their own teething problems, but lets be honest, its no different than BMWs that constantly overheat (crap cooling systems) or Mercs that blow SAM units if you so much as fart on the bonnet or do something your not supposed to with the electrics.

Both are brilliant cars, i've had both so am qualified to comment on them both. Personally, i wish i'd kept my Laser but lack of space mean't i couldn't, however, if you asked me to swap with my current R and i'd politely decline without even thinking about it!!

What ever you decide......you will enjoy. Just make sure you get a good one. Take someone with you that knows V70s else get a full HPI and Inspection. Once you iron out the wrinkles from previous owners that can't afford to maintain them properly they really are formidable cars.

no the phase 2 t5's were 2.3's and the later 2.4's the "R"'s were the only 2.5's

LeeT5
Sunday 18th March 2012, 21:45
no the phase 2 t5's were 2.3's and the later 2.4's the "R"'s were the only 2.5's

Sorry (typo), thats what i meant to say. T5Frankie is right. :remybussi

T5frankie
Sunday 18th March 2012, 21:45
Sorry (typo), thats what i meant to say. T5Frankie is right. :remybussi

lol

v70rade
Monday 26th March 2012, 19:22
Whichever phase / variant you manage to find, there are a few things which you should consider if you're looking to use one as a daily driver (I do just under 50 miles per day in mine, simply because I don't want to drive anything else!)

Mpg - don't bank on anything better than mid 20's if you're fairly sensible with the right pedal (I've averaged 24.6 since Christmas and running on 99 octane = £100 tank.)

Tyre wear isn't great - FWD's will need very careful use of the loud pedal and AWD's do need meticulous tyre rotation every few thousand miles. (I expect to shell out at least 400 quid per year on tyres plus proper laser alignment at 75).

As one of the other post pointed out - these cars were 30 - 40k when new, so parts can be very expensive, particularly on AWD cars (£1000 + to renew tired suspension parts, £900 for a transfer box recon etc.) - You can reduce costs by doing most jobs yourself if you are technically minded.

No matter how sensibly you think you drive - your never more than a few seconds away from loosing your license (These cars are very deceptive where speed is concerned) and it can get very frustrating following 'slower' road users each day!

If you can find a good one with a stack of receipts, and you can cope with the running cost you won't regret turning up to work in a V70 R - I've had mine nearly six years and still love driving it every day.

Good luck.