PDA

View Full Version : tyre size

Jaseb77
Sunday 4th March 2012, 14:32
Hi guys, I need 4 tyres soon for the S80.
Currently on 225/50/17 extra load.

If I went down a wee bit on profile would it upset anything ?.
Much more choice in 225/45/17 extra load

Any ideas ,

local-looney
Sunday 4th March 2012, 14:34
got them fitted to my s60 with no issues...feel a bit over an uneven road but thats about it

Jaseb77
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:30
Kinda was wanting an opinion on the radius change, on speedo , gearing etc.
Would it also effectively be a modification ? In insurance terms. . I wonder

AndysR
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:33
Rolling radius will change as a result because you'll be decreasing the overall diameter of the tyre/wheel combination. This will mean it will change the speedo reading etc if only ever so slightly. Why change? Looking for a lower profile or is it tyre availability?

Jaseb77
Monday 5th March 2012, 23:41
Bit of both really, 225/50 are less available and expensive.
Would like a wee bit less roll- polly in corners too.
Asking bit much maybe from a S80?

M-R-P
Tuesday 6th March 2012, 00:33
Going down to 45 will make your speedo over read a little more than it already will (they all over read by 3-7% apart from ex-plod) so you're less likely to get a ticket. If you get good tyres then comfort and grip will be noticeably improved. I just went from Barum Bravuris2 225x45 zr17, which were a very good all rounder, to Avon ZV5 in the same size and they are superb and made a massive difference to the feel and performance of the car. All for an extra tenner per corner :) happy days.

andybrown
Sunday 18th March 2012, 22:15
I just went from Barum Bravuris2 225x45 zr17, which were a very good all rounder, to Avon ZV5 in the same size and they are superb and made a massive difference to the feel and performance of the car. All for an extra tenner per corner :) happy days.

Im really happy with my ZV5's .... No wheel spin, bloody good at stopping and they are ace on corners :)