PDA

View Full Version : 96 855 T5 SRS warning light

Undertaker
Saturday 1st January 2005, 14:01
A few weeks ago I was minding my own business when the SRS warning light came on. The car has only the drivers SRS air bag in addition to the two SIPS bags built into the front seats. After some head scratching I came to the conclusion the the problem was likely to be the contact reel located between the air bag and the steering wheel as it was the only moving part. I removed the contact reel and checked it out with an ohm meter and sure enough one of the two conductors in the ribbon cable within the reel gave an intermittent reading as I waggled ( technical term ) the reel about. Strangely enough the other conductor in the ribbon appeared to be completely open circuit no matter what setting I used on the ohmmeter. After parting with £114.00 +VAT I had a new reel which I fitted. Now for the problem - the SRS light does not go out when I follow the reset procedure in the Haynes manual. I've come to the conclusion that this is incorrect ( probably works on pre 96 vehicles ) and the the SRS warning light has to be reset using the Volvlo diagnostic tool. What I would like is confirmation that this is the case and also any explanation as to why the second conductor in the ribbon appears to be open circuit. I've checked and both the new and the old reel are the same with the second conductor showing open circuit on both. Thanks in advance :worship:

Justin
Saturday 1st January 2005, 22:34
Hi and :welcome:

I had to change my conductor on my 95 855, i have no idea why there is an open curcuit on it, but logic would suggest that there is no return feed when detonated......:cool:

It would be a case of having a main dealer reset it, grab a mechanic having a fag break and give him a drink for his trouble, (usually works) or pay the £40+ VAT and let them do it, of nip round to mine and ill do it for you as i have a reset tool for OBDII ;)

Where are you in the UK and do you have any pics of your car for us to oggle over .......? :crazy:

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 2nd January 2005, 08:55
It would be a case of having a main dealer reset it, grab a mechanic having a fag break and give him a drink for his trouble, (usually works) or pay the £40+ VAT and let them do it, of nip round to mine and ill do it for you as i have a reset tool for OBDII ;)
Tollbar Volvo in Cov wouldn't reset the light without doing a full system check (which would take 2 days :eek: , sod paying that labour charge). Its amazing how you learn to ignore warning lights when they've been on for 3 years lol (hopefully removing the airbag soon so i can take the bulb out aswell :shifty: )

Undertaker
Sunday 2nd January 2005, 09:26
Thanks for the replies and a happy New Year :)

I don't have any pictures as yet but the car is a standard black CD with just under 75,000 miles on the clock.

Justin, I would like to take you up on your offer of using the reset tool if I may. Of course it all depends on location. I'm in Essex not far from Southend-on-Sea. Where are you?

Justin
Sunday 2nd January 2005, 09:44
Ahhh, there lies a problem as i am in Birmingham, however Dave and myself were planning a trip to Braintree to go and see Bracer our Performance moderator in the new year, so maybe we could enroll it into that meet ;)

Undertaker
Sunday 2nd January 2005, 10:41
That's life. I may need to do something about it in the near future as it's coming up for an MOT on the 4th January. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again for the offer.

It would still be good to meet up when you go to see Bracer.

Justin
Sunday 2nd January 2005, 11:48
No worries, will keep you upto date nearer the time ;)

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 2nd January 2005, 14:37
I may need to do something about it in the near future as it's coming up for an MOT on the 4th January.
mine still based an MOT with the light on, i know it should have failed but they're thick :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 3rd January 2005, 01:16
Helloo! :welcome:

Hope to catch up with you soon