PDA

View Full Version : 1999 c70 T5 Garnet Red faded

thad1
Friday 2nd March 2012, 15:19
Hey guys,
Been looking at the paintwork on the car and can see the bonnet, roof, boot and most of it in good shape, the doors and rear qtrs seem to be faded, it's metallic garnet red and to be honest it looks like the clear coat has gone, the paintwork is rough to the touch and dull!
If I respray the panel with clear coat will it restore the shine?
Or will it need a total respray?
Thanks

M-R-P
Friday 2nd March 2012, 15:24
Give it a good going-over with some 1000 grade wet n dry then clear coat. leave it a few days and use 2000 grade and plenty of water, all over to smooth any imperfections, then cutting compound and polish.
Always worked for me :)

Peanut1
Monday 5th March 2012, 20:03
canyou stick up some pictures as it may need a damn good claying followed by machine polish. Just done the rear quarters on mine and they came up perfect!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th March 2012, 20:18
Give it a good going-over with some 1000 grade wet n dry then clear coat. leave it a few days and use 2000 grade and plenty of water, all over to smooth any imperfections, then cutting compound and polish.
Always worked for me :)
He's a brave man if he is willing to do that by hand on metallic paint - YIKES!

volvokid
Monday 5th March 2012, 21:16

Giving it a good decontamination may be all it needs followed by Polish and sealants

Peanut1
Thursday 8th March 2012, 10:21
Giving it a good decontamination may be all it needs followed by Polish and sealants

exactly what i said and agree on the wet sanding!!! would want to practice on spare panels a good few times first!!!

M-R-P
Thursday 8th March 2012, 10:31

Scared the hell out of the sister-in-law when I did it to her panther black metallic focus ;)