PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Sound Systems

The Flying Banana
Thursday 1st September 2005, 22:00
Evening all....someone on here must know!! I have teh original Volvo sound system ( loads 3 CDs in teh head unit ) but i hear people say it can have an amp connected to it...soes it need to be a Volvo amp ..is it standard line outs? Also it has some buttons on it ...one is ' Sound ' on the right hand side and others are under the rotary knobs for bass and treble...when you pull them out you can set the effect ? and the centre? but none of these do anything..i am presuming because i have no amp ?
Any ideas?

grdunn
Thursday 1st September 2005, 22:12
I think most 850's onwards have a seperate amp, usually under the front seat or in the boot. Some later cars have Dolby Prologic facility which means you have 3 speakers in the dashboard, left,right and centre.

grumpybob
Friday 2nd September 2005, 08:45
Hi

I have the standard single cd slot unit and not the 3 disc but priced the volvo amp out of curiosity - it was nearly £200 & vat IIRC. Needless to say I didn't bother. It uses a single plug to the head unit and not line outs.

I did see a convertor plug on e-bay a while ago to connect an aftermarket amp but not seen any since.

HTH.

Bob

p fandango
Friday 2nd September 2005, 15:40
you can always get an aftermarket amplifier with high-level input to link to the Volvo HU (use the speakers outputs off the radio instead of using RCA's)

grumpybob
Friday 2nd September 2005, 21:15
Here we go with the adapter for Volvo head unit to aftermarket amps.

http://www.soundlinx.co.uk/ProductFinder/default.asp

Product code = VOL01RCA

Just in case the link don't work.

Bob

The Flying Banana
Friday 2nd September 2005, 22:11
Here we go with the adapter for Volvo head unit to aftermarket amps.

http://www.soundlinx.co.uk/ProductFinder/default.asp

Product code = VOL01RCA

Just in case the link don't work.

Bob

Bob..you are the man!!!!

I am off to Leven tomorrow to get one!!!!

Cheers

Scott

grumpybob
Friday 2nd September 2005, 23:17
No problem Buddy

Let us know how you get on with it.