PDA

View Full Version : MBC and Insurance

MattB
Thursday 1st September 2005, 18:25
Good evening All,

Those of you that have an MBC fitted, are any of you insured with Elephant?

If so,
a/. have you declared the MBC
and
b/. have they covered you for/with this?

Thanks in advance...

p fandango
Thursday 1st September 2005, 19:36
i'm not insured with Elephant but i have declared my MBC to my insurance company, they didn't know what an MBC was so just explained i'd raised the boost up

MattB
Thursday 1st September 2005, 20:00
i'm not insured with Elephant but i have declared my MBC to my insurance company, they didn't know what an MBC was so just explained i'd raised the boost up

Mine didn't know what one was either - so I explained, just as you did. The manager wasn't sure either if they can cover it, so they are checking with the underwriters. Should hear back tomorrow.

MattB
Thursday 1st September 2005, 20:12
Just heard back from Elephant :nono:- they are unable to cover an MBC:cry:

Who are you insured with Pedro???

p fandango
Thursday 1st September 2005, 20:27
i'm insured thru Highway (http://www.highway-insurance.co.uk/highway/index.jsp), a very good price even with everything declared

MattB
Thursday 1st September 2005, 20:37
i'm insured thru Highway (http://www.highway-insurance.co.uk/highway/index.jsp), a very good price even with everything declared

Cheers Pedro, I've just clicked the link and Highway's subsiduary is AQuote. Had a few problems with them when I used them 18 months ago. Quoted and extra £150 when I bought the T5 (originally had a 2litre 20v). When I came to swap over, they admitted they had made a mistake and that the additional charge was nearer £400! I had bought the car on the basis that the additional insurance was only £150. So I had no option but to go elsewhere and so went to Elephant. Which subsiduary is your insurance through?

Al115
Friday 2nd September 2005, 08:29
Lots of firms use Highway. For instance Chris Knott, who I'm with.

V70Man
Friday 2nd September 2005, 12:28
Noob question: What is an MBC then? :dunce:

I am with Elephant.

'95R
Friday 2nd September 2005, 12:38
Noob question: What is an MBC then? :dunce:

I am with Elephant.
Manual boost controller raises the maximum amount of boost your car will use. You can raise it a little without ill side effects, but too much and your factory ECU will not be providing the correct A/F ratios as you are introducing more air with higher boost levels. I see in Pedro's sig he is running 20psi on a factory ECU... I hadn't heard of anything like that in the states, but we are limited to 93 octane, no 99 RON for us :(

Here in the states, if you claim any mods to your insurance, they raise your rates through the roof, so if anybody gets into an accident, you are kinda ££££ outa luck if you can't salvage the mods... <--- has been in that situation unfortunately.

V70Man
Friday 2nd September 2005, 12:58
Manual boost controller raises the maximum amount of boost your car will use. You can raise it a little without ill side effects, but too much and your factory ECU will not be providing the correct A/F ratios as you are introducing more air with higher boost levels. I see in Pedro's sig he is running 20psi on a factory ECU... I hadn't heard of anything like that in the states, but we are limited to 93 octane, no 99 RON for us :(

Here in the states, if you claim any mods to your insurance, they raise your rates through the roof, so if anybody gets into an accident, you are kinda ££££ outa luck if you can't salvage the mods... <--- has been in that situation unfortunately.

Ah thx. I've always just known them as bleed valves, never heard of MBC.

p fandango
Friday 2nd September 2005, 15:28
I see in Pedro's sig he is running 20psi on a factory ECU... I hadn't heard of anything like that in the states
BT doesn't stick to the rules lol, as you say the ecu used to kill the ignition at 15psi. After fixing a couple of air leaks she was happy to boost higher (no idea why but i'm not complaining lol)

p fandango
Friday 2nd September 2005, 15:34
Ah thx. I've always just known them as bleed valves, never heard of MBC.
MBC's are totally different to bleed valves, where a bleed valve drains air out of the system foiling the waste gate to raise boost MBC's actually stop the air altogether. Its basically a pressure release valve which blocks the air getting to the wastegate till the level we've set it at, it gives alot more aggressive spool up :sinner:

V70Man
Friday 2nd September 2005, 18:30
MBC's are totally different to bleed valves, where a bleed valve drains air out of the system foiling the waste gate to raise boost MBC's actually stop the air altogether. Its basically a pressure release valve which blocks the air getting to the wastegate till the level we've set it at, it gives alot more aggressive spool up :sinner:

ahh. So it's basically a wastgate to the wastegate? :)

MattB
Friday 2nd September 2005, 18:35
Lots of firms use Highway. For instance Chris Knott, who I'm with.
Thanks Al, tried Chris Knott when my renewal came up - wanted well over £1k, compared to just under £600 with elephant. Have now removed the MBC and guess I'll have to wait for my renewal next summer :cry:

V70Man
Friday 2nd September 2005, 18:37
Thanks Al, tried Chris Knott when my renewal came up - wanted well over £1k, compared to just under £600 with elephant. Have now removed the MBC and guess I'll have to wait for my renewal next summer :cry:

I'm actually starting to think that maybe the RICA is a bad idea too whilst I'm still with Elephant...

p fandango
Friday 2nd September 2005, 19:45
ahh. So it's basically a wastgate to the wastegate? :)
well i guess in a way, no air can get to the wastegate until the mbc gets to your set psi level

p fandango
Friday 2nd September 2005, 19:47
I'm actually starting to think that maybe the RICA is a bad idea too whilst I'm still with Elephant...
phone them up & see what they say