PDA

View Full Version : Aircon Problem

grdunn
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 19:57
Aircon hasn't worked since buying the car 3 weeks ago.......have had it checked briefly and was told it doesn't need gassed up. Everything works on the fan side of things, green lights on the A/C panel but no cold air! It's an S70...........anybody got any ideas??????????/

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st September 2005, 00:25
You could have a hole in the condenser (part of the grill pack), a faulty compressor (or clutch) - in which case you will not here it click when it engages or a faulty evaporator. Needs proper look over.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Paul ABZ
Thursday 1st September 2005, 18:17
One of the connectors that feeds power to the AC compressor electric clutch is in front of the passenger, below the glove box, mid way along the box underneath. This is easily loosened off with vibration and you might be wise to check that all the connectors there are snug and tight.

audimadmike
Thursday 1st September 2005, 18:21
Was it an air con engineer who said it doesn't need gassing?
Did he put his guages on it to check pressures and whether the compreesor was pumping?

Mike

grdunn
Thursday 1st September 2005, 22:28
Yeah I think he did, he said that it wasn't full but there was enough in to make it work. Everything seems to work ok - Ijust ain't cold! Fan makes the right noise etc.Can't be a leak in the condenser or it would be empty!

audimadmike
Thursday 1st September 2005, 22:49
If any serious leak, as you say it would be empty.
You can't tell by putting guages on if there is enough gas unless compressor runs. In this weather the pressures would appear reasonable even with a small amount, you need to get someone to switch ac button on while you listen for compressor click under the bonnet. If it clicks and then almost straight away clicks again it is probably short.
If no joy then you can trace electrical power to compressor through pressure switches etc. if seems okay then really needs looking at by proffesional.
You don't happen to live near Carlisle or Lockerbie?!

Mike

grdunn
Thursday 1st September 2005, 23:23
I live near Middlesbrough in the North East. It's a real pain not having cold air just now!

steveT5
Friday 2nd September 2005, 21:04
Bad news mate, i have purchased 2 T5's in the past, and the air con has packed up on both within a month.