PDA

View Full Version : BCS or MBC?

T5Tom
Friday 2nd March 2012, 12:01
Hi everyone! I was having a quick mooch under my bonnet yesterday and noticed that my BCS wasnt plugged in, is this needed?? Its not made a difference atall to the pull or anything atall in that matter. I do have a cheapo bleed valve on it that was fitted (and plumbed into the BCS) when i picked the car up but i thought id leave it on but turned down (Just before the boost/fuel cut) to about 0.6 bar, but i plan on removing this when i fit my 19t... which should be going on soon :)

So what is the purpose of the BCS if its not haveing an effect when unplugged? When i fit the 19t i want to get rid of the bleed valve and just control boost with the actuator, is this the best way to go?

Cheers lads!

Tom

M-R-P
Friday 2nd March 2012, 12:29
If youre getting a remap, then the BCS is the way to go. Although you may need a new one - often, if the bcs fails, it's cheaper to put an mbc in there than pay out for a Volvo bcs. Although, you say the bleed valve was plumbed into the bcs? odd. If the electrical connector is unplugged, that could be causing problems as boost cut shouldn't come in till about 1 - 1.2 bar (iirc) With an mbc, you should have the rubber hoses off the bcs but leave the electrical connector on, so the ecu doesn't get upset.

smithson007
Friday 2nd March 2012, 13:02
Have you unplugged your BCS mate because I'm sure I plugged it back on the other day?

T5Tom
Friday 2nd March 2012, 13:19
Have you unplugged your BCS mate because I'm sure I plugged it back on the other day?

No mate It's unplugged and I can't find the wires now lol ill have to have a closer look for them tonight.

It's sort of plumbed through it like it should be working but withought being plugged in, do they work like an mbc?

M-R-P
Friday 2nd March 2012, 13:52
Sort of but an mbc works by holding back pressure to the actuator and then letting it go (ball/valve) or reducing the available pressure to the actuator (bleed valve) where as the ecu will control when the bcs allows pressure to the actuator depending on torque demand etc.

T5Tom
Friday 2nd March 2012, 17:38
Sort of but an mbc works by holding back pressure to the actuator and then letting it go (ball/valve) or reducing the available pressure to the actuator (bleed valve) where as the ecu will control when the bcs allows pressure to the actuator depending on torque demand etc.

Ooohh so the bcs is ecu controlled? Sounds much safer lol

oh and I've just built my 19t and it looks ££££££££££ MEAN! :D

smithson007
Friday 2nd March 2012, 18:01
No mate It's unplugged and I can't find the wires now lol ill have to have a closer look for them tonight.

It's sort of plumbed through it like it should be working but withought being plugged in, do they work like an mbc?

Plug must have some how come off mate. The wire from it ran from the sleeve going up to the battery. I can remember plugging it back in because it was a pig to do as i forgot to plug it in before i bolted it back on to the air box and i could only get 2 fingers in at it.

smithson007
Friday 2nd March 2012, 18:02
Ooohh so the bcs is ecu controlled? Sounds much safer lol

oh and I've just built my 19t and it looks ££££££££££ MEAN! :D

Be prepared for the lag mate.