PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust

RGM200
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 08:41
Thought I would pop in, say hi and introduce myself at an oppotune moment, HI!

I'm Rob, I currently own a 95' Black 854 T5 Auto (which has every extra apart from electric memory seats and front fogs so not sure which actual model, maybe an 'S' ?). I have already carried out a few of the usual Mod's, such as brake upgrade, panel filter, air box mod's, strut brace.

Yesterday my car went into my local 'trusted' private mechanic and had a Longlife stainless steel single silencer 2.5 inch centre box and rear pipe exhaust fitted - what a difference, the car is much 'throatier' and smoother on the acceleration and looks rather nice too - am well pleased ;o).

I also treated the car to a complete air con overhaul, cost me £55 but was well worth it, the air con on that car is absolutely superb, would be lost without it.

Anyway hello to all, keep up a fantastic web-site.

Rob

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 10:59
:welcome:

Sounds pretty groovy! Thought about a remap yet?

rottertron
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 12:41
Hi and welcome!

Looks like they done a good job on the exhaust, so any notable increase in performance now its fitted???

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 13:53
Welcome to the forum!!!

How long you had the T5? Whats next on the modifactions list?

x

RGM200
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 13:54
Hi,

performance seems to have increased slightly, but the most noticeable change for me is how smooth the acceleration seems to be, dont know what difference the exhaust will actually make, supposedly more BHP and supposedly greater fuel econ. but we will have to wait and see.....

I am thinking of a remap in the very near future but first have a small oil leak to track down, then want to change the stock suspension as after 113k it all feels a bit loose, although much better with the front strut. But once the suspension and oil leak are sorted I am def. planning on a remap, any views on the best one and the nearest place to me in Essex to have it done?

RGM200
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 13:56
Oh, by the way have now owned my Volvo for 18 months and wouldn't change her for the world (or maybe just a tidy T5R ;o))

audimadmike
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 13:57
Hi Rob, welcome to the forum.

I'm also from Southend, although left about 15 years ago, now in Scotland!

Does the 'cruise' still go on?

Mike

RGM200
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 14:02
Hi Mike, thanks all for the welcome.

The cruising still goes on, although they now shut the 'Golden Mile' off just after the peir at weekends so now its more of a 'Golden 1/4 mile' ;o) and i'm a bit too old for cruising!

Goof
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 15:29
<snip>
planning on a remap, any views on the best one and the nearest place to me in Essex to have it done?
VolvoTuning offer a 280 & 304 remap for the 850 T5 - personally I'd go for the 280 one as you don't need to run Optimax (and it's cheaper than the 304 remap ;)).
Also depends on what you use the car for - I commute 35 miles a day in mine, and wouldn't see much benefit in the 304 remap.
Either way, the engine feels like it can breath!, mpg improvements are possible if you can keep the fun bursts to as you did before! (difficult not to use the extra all the time;))

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 16:02
IMHO it is worth the trip to VT for the remap - coz you get much more than just a new program. They check out your machine and make sure withing reasonable bounds that you get the best out of the map you chose.

siamblue
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 19:20
Hi There welcome if you are ever over this way you are more than welcome to drop in and try a Rica'd car ;)

pault5
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 19:48
Thought I would pop in, say hi and introduce myself at an oppotune moment, HI!

I'm Rob, I currently own a 95' Black 854 T5 Auto (which has every extra apart from electric memory seats and front fogs so not sure which actual model, maybe an 'S' ?). I have already carried out a few of the usual Mod's, such as brake upgrade, panel filter, air box mod's, strut brace.

Yesterday my car went into my local 'trusted' private mechanic and had a Longlife stainless steel single silencer 2.5 inch centre box and rear pipe exhaust fitted - what a difference, the car is much 'throatier' and smoother on the acceleration and looks rather nice too - am well pleased ;o).

I also treated the car to a complete air con overhaul, cost me £55 but was well worth it, the air con on that car is absolutely superb, would be lost without it.

Anyway hello to all, keep up a fantastic web-site.

Rob
Hello Rob,
Very pleased you like my old exhaust.Yes it does sound good, not to noisy. It's much a much fruitier sound than the milltek vt fitted!
Did it fit ok?
Paul

RGM200
Thursday 1st September 2005, 08:31
Hi Paul,

the exhaust fitted fine thanks, no probs at all, thanks again.

Al115
Thursday 1st September 2005, 08:44
But once the suspension and oil leak are sorted I am def. planning on a remap, any views on the best one and the nearest place to me in Essex to have it done?

The most popular upgrade at the moment is the RICA provided by VolvoTuning in Bromsgrove... alternatively if you didn't want to drive up there you could consider either an MTE or BSR ECU upgrade, both of the firms have distributors in the South. I have an MTE myself and I'm pretty pleased with it.

RGM200
Thursday 1st September 2005, 10:45
Concerning a RICA upgrade with Volvotuning, as I already have a stainless sports exhaust and a K&N panel filter, any idea how much the ECU upgrade would be on its own, including fitting etc?

I take it the upgrade is def. worth having, is noticeably different?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 1st September 2005, 11:23

Astonishingly so yes!

x

Goof
Thursday 1st September 2005, 11:46
Concerning a RICA upgrade with Volvotuning, as I already have a stainless sports exhaust and a K&N panel filter, any idea how much the ECU upgrade would be on its own, including fitting etc?

From memory when I enquired last:-
280 - £290 (+VAT)
304 - not sure!
(These are for the 850)

Check on their www for further details ~ or give them a call 01527 577710.
(See banner at top of page for links etc).

I've experienced the 280 upgrade on a 850 - and it blows your socks!
(Suppose the 304 would be even more mind-blowing! ;))
Motor seems to breathe easier, and doesn't run out of steam (mpg improvement is a nice bonus too!).
Coupled with a strut brace, a complete change in feel.
Try one!

RGM200
Thursday 1st September 2005, 12:11
Thanks all, will definately look into in the v.near future

Mrsmopp, so young and with such good taste in cars, everyman's dream eh?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 1st September 2005, 15:55
Mrsmopp, so young and with such good taste in cars, everyman's dream eh?

Those that know me would probably disagree LMSO!!

x