PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Road session 6th Feb 2005 Well Lane Turbos

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 28th December 2004, 03:45
:welcome:
Looks from the members list we've got most of the members from the "Volvo-t5" forum. I have however noticed a few new members here. So this is an notification for anyone who doesn't know...

Well Lane Turbos Rolling road session
Sunday 6th Feb 2005 - all Day event
:deal: Cost £30
Deposit of £10 required in advance to the organiser by 14th Jan 2005.

There are currently 9 Volvos, 1 Nissan, and a Cossie confirmed and paid.
So we've space for a few more, so PM me and I'll send you the organisers address.
:gossip: :gossip:
Even if your not running it would be good to see as many of you as possible...

Good to see you lot here as well.....(you know who you are)

JUDGE

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 28th December 2004, 15:10
Hey Judge! Nice to see you made it :wink:

Come on guys get your names down for this one!!!

x

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 30th December 2004, 02:35
It's going to get complicated reviewing two websites to remember where threads are...Love the arcade section here though...Are you still coming on the 6th?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 30th December 2004, 13:25
Yup! I'll be there!! :wink:

x

JUDGENINJA
Monday 3rd January 2005, 05:32
Quick update for anyone interested...:

We now have :
Volvos - 9
Nissans - 4
Mitsubishi - 1
Cosworth - 1

there's still 10 places left.....
PM me if your interested...

adamt5r
Monday 3rd January 2005, 12:24
hi there im 1 of the new members and saw the rollong road meet, where abouts is it held as i fear it will be the other end of the country to to me? im in kent
cheers
adam :cry:

wright_t5
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 08:42
:thewave:
Happy new yaer to everyone....

Where is this place? Well Lane Turbo's that is.....

I have had mine Dyno'ed but the results were not what I expected. :shifty: .... based on what others have said about their outputs, and thier respective 1/4 mile times..... so I am confused and keen to go up along side other T5's.

:)

hamish
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 01:40
Can I come along ? It's only a standard T5!(mine, not Adam's) My only concern is that it might put a few myths to bed !!!!
Regards,
Hamish.
1 half of Volvotununinguk.com

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 10:16
The RR session is in Yorkshire somewhere. What have your results come back as on a previous dyno Wrighty?

x

wright_t5
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 18:49
MrsMopp,

The name doesn't do you any justice at all... :worship:

The results were poor to say the least, the dyno claimed that I had 189 BHP at the wheels of course, slightly higher than a "standard" curve they had, I have loads more torque... but never got near the 200 HP !! :eek:

I have loads of questions, and loads of sorrow at this news... but still I can do a 15.2 1/4 mile, so where are all these HP claims coming from I ask myself.... :shifty:

Or should I just put it down to a bad session?

lance
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 19:48
Do you have any mods as 189 bhp equates to around 230-235 bhp at the fly wheel ( I Think)+ if your cars turbos past its best Ie 100k + or have a slight airleak its never going to be 100 %.

Im waiting nervously hoping mine will do well on the day !

I hope yours is up to scratch on the 6th,
Im sure its frustrating not getting the hoped amount of power it could be down to not enough forced induction to produce the boost and then the bhp.

Personally I dont think standing quaters give a good indication of power as too much wheel spin can slow you down and you need 4th gear to give you a good indication of power and boost.

The difference between a good standard car and a good tuned car is only 3/4 of a second you could lose or gain that in too much wheel spin or good or bad gear changes.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 20:49
MrsMopp,

The name doesn't do you any justice at all... :worship:

The results were poor to say the least, the dyno claimed that I had 189 BHP at the wheels of course, slightly higher than a "standard" curve they had, I have loads more torque... but never got near the 200 HP !! :eek:

I have loads of questions, and loads of sorrow at this news... but still I can do a 15.2 1/4 mile, so where are all these HP claims coming from I ask myself.... :shifty:

Or should I just put it down to a bad session?

LOL! Why thank you kind sir!!!

Its been said before but dyno days aren't always an acurate way to calculate what you are produce. There is no dianostic equiptment for a start to tell you whats going on with your car and the later you are on those rollers the hotter they are getting. I would guess that you would end up with different results everytime you dynoed as everyones dyno's seem to be a little different.

If Adam gets his finger out he is meant to be putting mine and J's on his local dyno with full diagnostics and plenty of time to sort out any problems that may be happening. Maybe then we will see how close we are to the RICA claims. :wink:

x

wright_t5
Thursday 6th January 2005, 07:30
Lance,

Turbo, running out of steam, 100+ miles, well yes, she as done 130,000 now, can only boost to 13(ish) sometimes peaks at 1Bar, but has a boost problem that I haven't nailed yet, perhaps perfection isn't what I am going to get without spending loads on something, I would however like to visit VT and see what they say... just have to find the time... working for one's self it ain't easy to take time off!!!

if I could just get the boost problem sorted I would be happy, It's never going to be a rocket ship, I just want it sweet... I will never have it in me to spend loads, I just would like to enjoy what is there... but a high 14 would be nice :-)

wright_t5
Thursday 6th January 2005, 07:45
:thewave: hi, there again...

Dyno's, rolling roads, haven't been close enough to them to sort out the real difference, the place I went to didn't fill me with confidence, they firts of all thought the ECU box was the air filter!!! :eek: then they tried to undo the wheel nuts by turning them anti-clockwise :eek:

sooo, I might have bite the bullet and take a trip north, or find someone further south to sort me problem out.... Either way I will be at the Pod on the 23rd to see what she can do....

As for yours on the dyno, it would be good to get other feedback on the actual compared to paper claims.....

Thanks for listening... :wink:

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 3rd February 2005, 01:14
Well this session is going ahead......... :)
So if your out for a Sunday drive and fance meeting up with of us then you know where to find us.....9:00 start :)

JUDGE...

lance
Sunday 6th February 2005, 17:46
Todays rolling road was very good !I bet Ian c70 is very pleased with his full fat 310bhp, NICE!

I wasnt expecting fullfat figs but with a worn turbo 266bhp was quite pleasing !

However tourque read out seemed well off the mark and I hope not accurate as a stock s/v70 produces 244 lb ft of tourque at 2100 rpm however mine didnt peak till well around 3800 rpm and around 250 lb ft which stayed consistant upto aprox 5800 rpm. At 2100 rpm it was aprox 150lbft which seems a huge difference in the wrong direction.

Just found conversion formular lbft x 1.3358 = NM
244 LBft =325.935 NM
250 lbft = 333.95 NM

Justin
Sunday 6th February 2005, 18:10
I bet he was, here the graph, lets see Don pull that apart :wink:

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/albums/Mine/BHP.jpg

Justin
Sunday 6th February 2005, 18:16
The rest were as follows:

284 Bhp from Hamish in his rica V70 ME7
266 Bhp from Lance 98 V70 T5 Rica
264 Bhp from Dave 850R Auto Rica
259 Bhp from Andrew Cardwell 96 850 T5R Auto Rica
255 Bhp from Turbo lad in a S70 T5 Rica
238 monsterdark V70 T5 Auto (stock)
235 Bhp VT5 Vince 850 T5 (stock)
212 Bhp Judgeninja 850 T5 (stock)
171 Bhp from Rooster S40 2.0 LPT (stock)

Some reasonable results there, some obviously have some running issues.

Thanks to Dave 850R for the graphs and input yet again ;)

volvotuning
Sunday 6th February 2005, 18:37
I bet he was, here the graph, lets see Don pull that apart :wink:

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/albums/Mine/BHP.jpg

The torque curve looks a bit iffy.

Adam.

Justin
Sunday 6th February 2005, 18:42
In what way mate ?

What should it look like ?

volvotuning
Sunday 6th February 2005, 18:49
In what way mate ?

What should it look like ?

All T5s (even with RICA) should start producing the max torque of about 420 Nm from around 3500 rpm and hold it to around 5500 rpm. This one, along with many others, seems down on low and mid range torque. Yet the car is quicker in the mid range (timed) on the road than stock, therefore it must have more torque! Go figure.

Adam.

lance
Sunday 6th February 2005, 18:50
Should be atleast 240 lbft @ 2100rpm rising to around 315 at 3500 rpm and holding that till about 6k.
Im not sure but thats what I would imagine would be about right.

I know mine feels a lot more torque than standard as she will pull from 35mph in 5th without hesitation, standard she wouldnt do that!

Justin
Sunday 6th February 2005, 18:56
Well i think we all know why the plots are not as they should be, but lets just wait and see when you have your own installed Adam, ill be first on the list.

Cue Duane....... ;)

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 6th February 2005, 19:24
lol glad to see i have a use

1 = J
2 = Pedro (depending on the date)

volvotuning
Sunday 6th February 2005, 20:09
I have a theory, and it is just a theory since I wasn't there...

If everyone's torque was much lower than it should have been until the higher rpm, then it's possible that the dyno was not loading the cars up until the higher rpm. This mean that the cars may have simply been spinning up the rollers with zero or little load applied until a predetermined rpm set by the operator, and only then would the eddy current retarder start to load up the cars, hence only then would the cars start producing the correct torque figures.

It's just a theory, but it's definately possible since it does depend on how the operator sets up the rolling road.

Still, a good day it seems and everyone had fun!

Adam.

lance
Sunday 6th February 2005, 20:45
Any chance i can be 3 please!

Yeah the operator was sometimes loading it as he often was in neutrol

Pedro Fandango
Sunday 6th February 2005, 22:38
1 = J
3 = Lance

GuyD5
Sunday 6th February 2005, 22:54
Number 4 please Pedro :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th February 2005, 00:44
I should like to see if better operation could improve my 264bhp. So book me up for no 5. Plus I agree with Hamish the fan seemed very small and badly positioned

JackT5
Monday 7th February 2005, 08:03
Well i finally made it to a meet up if only as a spectator and enjoyed putting faces to names, even if it was bl**dy cold and had to leave before seeing all the runs. Cheers guys for an interesting and informative morning out.

Jack

Bracer
Monday 7th February 2005, 09:58
Sound like it was better for some than others but that’s Dyno days for ya :rolleyes:

Dave if you want to get the real figures out your motor, book it in for a 1 on 1 session and allow most of a day to ensure you have plenty of time for half a dozen runs and plenty of cool down time.

Most will charge around £150 - £200 for a full days running but it the only way to get the TRUE figures out your car :wink:

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th February 2005, 10:03
Well i think we all know why the plots are not as they should be, but lets just wait and see when you have your own installed Adam, ill be first on the list.

Cue Duane....... ;)

2nd actually (ladies first see!)

x

Murphy
Monday 7th February 2005, 11:11
:wtf: So it seems the RICA is a bit crap then. Those results are very disapointing, esspecially as a standard car can mix it with the rica boys and girls......

now where did i put that number for upsolute !! :rolleyes:

lance
Monday 7th February 2005, 11:28
[QUOTE=Murphy]:wtf: So it seems the RICA is a bit crap then. Those results are very disapointing, esspecially as a standard car can mix it with the rica boys and girls......

now where did i put that number for upsolute !! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE

One car did manage the 310 bhp, i was expecting 270-290bhp out of my car due to worn turbo so 266bhp wasnt to bad , + the fan was small ,and I dont think the tourque measurments were accurate in any way.
I dont think rolling roads give autos a true reading,
Hamishs car was in a kind of limp home mode on the rollers with all them ABS lights on and doors open which isnt supprising of newer generation computer controlled vehicles.
The standard 850 was in good order,low miles and had the horns relocated and dirty air filter removed which belive it or not helped it gain over stock bhp.
There was only one vehicle with under 100k and a lot of ex police vehicles ,Im, sure and know mine wasnt the only vehicle with running issues.

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th February 2005, 11:38
I am reserving all judgement until I get on VT's rollers.............

x

Bracer
Monday 7th February 2005, 11:58
The only other Dyno I would use is Adam's.

But I still wouldn't expect him to come up with the goods within a 20 min time slot for my car.

monsterdark
Monday 7th February 2005, 15:07
Well I was pleasantly surprised with the output from mine 155,0000+miles & produced 238 BHP for a v70 me7, book says 240 & auto standard apart from exhaust & air cone so I seem happy. Nice to put some names to faces hope to see you all again soon
Cheers Steve

Pedro Fandango
Monday 7th February 2005, 15:30
1 = J
3 = Lance
4 = Guy (& Pammy i assume)
5 = Dave850R

Andrew
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 02:31
Go on then stick me down too :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 03:20
I am a little bothered as both myself and Andrew seemed to get relatively low figures both on almost identical cars.

I too await the install at VT with baited breath and reserve judgement on the figures until people I really trust have had a go.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 04:06
I have scanned all the graphs into one gallery - enjoy

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/galleries/well_lane_feb05.htm

Bracer
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 09:44
I really really want to see the AFR graphs if there are any :eek: or did they not bother :rolleyes:

:hidesbehi

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 10:13
1 = J
3 = Lance
5 = Dave850R

You forgot me duffus!!!

x

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 10:51
I thought his name was Pedro?

monsterdark
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 10:52
Cheers dave for putting the graphs on, just had a look at them they seem strange anybody know why mine lbft is so high or constant compaired with all the others mine is also ME7 first generation. any ideas guys
cheers steve

Bracer
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 10:56
As I'm finding out on the other site these graphs mean jack.

As NO AFR reading were taken there is no way to calculate what the car was doing, and as the comment has already been made about the hair drier of a fan, you might as well just drop the whole idea of compairing theses graphs as all you have is a squiggle line on a bit of paper.

Sorry but I feel the need to tell it as it is.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 11:01
Justin looked at mine and said that the peak was peculiar and was symptomatic of a poor run by the operator?

monsterdark
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 11:01
cheers Bracer Np it was my first rolling road so i wouldnt know anything different, but would like to compare it on anotherto see the readings again. Like you say every roads seems to give different readings. Well put me name down for the next one will have ago again.

Bracer
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 11:05
K glad peeps are with me on this one, sorry it sounds so harsh but really someone who's clued up with dynos should have checked it all out for you guys first.

What I will do later is put together what a operator should be monitoring and looking for during the run to give you guys an idea when your there and make sure it happens

Steve

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 15:56
1 = J
3 = Lance
5 = Dave850R
6 = MrsMopp
7 = Waxworks
8 = Andrew

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 16:00
Pedro!! Didn't you read my earlier post? I'm first - ladies first see!

x

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 16:02
1 = MrsMopp
3 = Lance
5 = Dave850R
6 = J
7 = Waxworks
8 = Andrew

some people are never happy (& its always the women :shifty: )

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 16:03
LOL - J wont be very happy that you have dropped him down the list!!!

In think I need to be 0.5 and J be 1!!

x

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 16:06
1 = MrsMopp
1 = J
3 = Pedro (depending on the date)
4 = Lance
5 = Guy (& Pammy i assume)
6 = Dave850R
7 = Waxworks
8 = Andrew

right now your both first (i really don't need all this hassle just from 1 simple list :mad: )

monsterdark
Tuesday 8th February 2005, 23:47
right stick me down will confirm when a date has been arranged, hopefully see a different readng this time, i would presume lower BHP & torque figures or will i be proved wrong :eek:

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 05:13
Well it looks like VT have money waiting....

You can put both Randomguy and me down whenever it is. I need a good excuse to come and see the infamous VT workshop.

PS can't do July.....

Adam,
Is it you that has been in conversation with the NissanPrimera Lot regarding a Rolling road session..if not I think they are after another meet?

Anyway, I got similar results comparing Well lane and Thor Engineering 212bhp and 218bhp respectively. With the damaging boost pipe and the lack of servicing I didn't expect too much but I had to show up cos I said I would....

And although I was the loser in the VT5 catagory with a lowly 212bhp, Which I was reminded regulary by Randomguy who came out with the most powerful Primera on the day at 170bhp, I regularly reminded him on the way home that I still had 40 more Gee gees under the bonnet and left him standing regulary.....happy days..... :wink: .

Mrs Mopp - your affectionate name given to Randomguy Last year at Santa Pod has now become his login ID on the Nissan Primera site too............see your influence gets everywhere.... :worship:

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 10:44
Mrs Mopp - your affectionate name given to Randomguy Last year at Santa Pod has now become his login ID on the Nissan Primera site too............see your influence gets everywhere.... :worship:

LOL!!! Well if the caps fits wear it so they say and the cap obviously fits our RG!! LOL

x

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 2nd March 2005, 15:52
1 = MrsMopp
1 = J
3 = Pedro (depending on the date)
4 = Lance
5 = Guy (& Pammy i assume)
6 = Dave850R
7 = Waxworks
8 = Andrew
8 = Monsterdark
9 = JudgeNinja
10 = RandomGuy (in a Nissan :eek: )

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 17th March 2005, 02:41
So when is this booked for then......?
a nice summer date would be good around the end of May or June...?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 17th March 2005, 09:49
Que Adam to advise us all on when VT's nice new dyno will be arriving???? :snail:

x

Giles
Thursday 17th March 2005, 10:06
Can I come as well please? Let's see what a 205,700 mile car can achieve. :hbomb:

Mrsmopp
Thursday 17th March 2005, 10:49
YAY!! :rally_dri

x

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th March 2005, 11:35
I was at VT yesterday and the new hole in the floor is nearly finished, I think it needs a bit longer to dry out. I am not certain what the delivery/install date for the new rollers is though.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 19th March 2005, 00:15
Well hopefully someone can keep us posted as events unfold.....

volvotuning
Saturday 19th March 2005, 00:30
Rest assured, as soon as the dyno is installed you will be the first to know. But it's coming by ship from the USA, so until it's actually installed in the new hole, I'm not gonna commit to any dates.

However, preparations are being made, and there is now a dyno page on our web site which will be developed into a full dyno site. You can download the terms and conditions for going on the rollers already.

Adam.

Ian C70T5
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 14:27
Rest assured, as soon as the dyno is installed you will be the first to know. But it's coming by ship from the USA, so until it's actually installed in the new hole, I'm not gonna commit to any dates.

However, preparations are being made, and there is now a dyno page on our web site which will be developed into a full dyno site. You can download the terms and conditions for going on the rollers already.

Adam.

I was talking to Hamish yesterday when i ordered my exhaust and i said i am definately interested in a VT RR day.. will be awesome!!

siamblue
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 14:36
You can put me down for this too,What a day this will be,A long time waiting,
Could you make it end of June or first week in July?As i am flying out to Thailand on the 5th or 7th July won't be back till Spetember.

sizzlechest
Tuesday 22nd March 2005, 18:21
Gary, do you need me to look afer your motor while you're away. I'll take good care of her, honest! He, He
:D