PDA

View Full Version : Three questions

siggi
Monday 29th August 2005, 18:11
Hey everybody

I have recently had front tyres replaced with Conti Sport on an 94 850 T5
without realising they were replaced with V rated rather than W ( Thought they were a bargain).Tyre supplier rated them as good for up to 150mph.
Now I have to replace rears and the V rated were spotted by another supplier who says they are unsuitable and I should only consider W or nothing - I cannot find a definite answer from anyone on this ?
I also have a problem with the door check mechanism on the drivers door that makes a clunking sound on use that suggests something is loose or broken.
How do I get on ?via door or inner footwell as the mechanism seems to move more on the side that is attached to the pillar but the sound seems to come from within the door?
I also have ( finally ) a sticking/holdong throttle problem that is intermittent ,when coming off the power ,it will sometimes come off cleanly or with a jerk or will hold at 2-2.5 k -
Any suggestions would be helpful as I am happy to work on it but would rather the benefit of others experiences to save time and knuckles.

Cheers
Siggi

The Flying Banana
Monday 29th August 2005, 20:20
Hey there, tyre sizes to go by as a general rule are:-

HR rated...up to 130 mph

VR rated...up to 149 mph and

ZR rated is for speeds over 150mph but less than 168 and a

W rated tyre = 168 and there is a Y rated tyre which is for speeds up to 186 mph....not being cheeky but doubt you will ever need ZR rated on a T5

FB

splatt
Monday 29th August 2005, 21:58
As FB says...nowt wrong with V rated tyres...
They are tested to destruction at high speed then 'downgraded' so your tyres are good for high speed...lets face it...when are any of us going to go for it for a prolonged period?....What do u want out of a tyre is what you have to ask yourself....

As for your door prob...a bit of investigative surgery sounds in order....sounds like its got a loose bit!!....

Throttle prob...is it auto? if so get fault codes read (on a 94 you should be able to acquire theese yourself using the onboard diagnostic LED.....do a search on it via the search option....loads of useful stuff on here!!

Keep us posted....

BTW..... :welcome:

siggi
Monday 29th August 2005, 22:49
Thanks for the quick response and for confirming what I thought about the tyres !

I shall have to take the door apart as suggested but I am confused by the advice on error codes as it is not an auto but manual !

Does that mean I have no error codes ?

Vikingxl
Monday 29th August 2005, 22:57
I'm sure i've heard that the speed rating thing is all about liability insurance for the fitting company if something does go wrong but i cant find it in writing anywhere

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 00:37
If there is anything I can do and you are local to brum then I am more than happy to fettle the latter 2 problems.

:welcome:

Ross9
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 00:40
To be fair though, if there was an accident, and it was said that x brand of tyres was rated to 149mph, and it blew out at 152, the question would be raised as to why you were doing 152mph, as well as the tyre failing lol.

Ross

JackT5
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 07:05
I had an argument over tyre ratings years ago with a local tyre company. What it boils down to is if the car manufacturer states zr rated tyres are required then that or a tyre that exceeds that is what must be fitted. Failure to fit tyres of the correct load/speed rating could result in at least an mot failure or insurance company refusing any claim in the event of an accident (which they dont need much of an excuse to do).

Engineer
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 08:03
Although you have an 850 it sounds like your door check strap may be broken; this is a common fault on original S/V70 models, not so much mileage but a usage problem hence driver’s door always suffers. As regards the tyre question, although manufactures quote speed ratings for ease of identification it should be noted that the tyre is also designed to take various corner, weight, torque and constant high speed cruise loadings , so while you may never v max, you might exceed the others. Hope this helps.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 10:42
My Cozzy has VR rated tyres on as standard due to it;s age, i'm sure if it was to be built today it would have WR on but i'm sure they will be Ok, if i was you i'd put them on the rears and just take more notice in future.

dave
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 14:11
Although you have an 850 it sounds like your door check strap may be broken; this is a common fault on original S/V70 models, not so much mileage but a usage problem hence driver’s door always suffers. As regards the tyre question, although manufactures quote speed ratings for ease of identification it should be noted that the tyre is also designed to take various corner, weight, torque and constant high speed cruise loadings , so while you may never v max, you might exceed the others. Hope this helps.

im not sure wot to do, my s60r comes with p rosso's, extra load, 95 for load rating, but if you work out load rating for each tyre, weight of car for a normal tyre load rating of 87, even with car fully loaded up, an extra 300kg, still doesn't exceed, the load rating of 87, but how would the insurance company see it?

dave

Straker
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 16:17
The sticking throttle.

They are cable operated on 94' 850's (mine certainly is) might just be a case of a bit more libricant in the right place. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs or anything but always best to start with the simple stuff. :slap:

siggi
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 22:26
The door check strap is not so much broken as breaking !

Where the bracket mounts to the pillar it can be seen to flex and is obviously cracked around what looks to be like a pop weld or rivet.
I now need to strip out wiring that is right next to it and get a weld repair which looks like removing the door at least
Anybody done this one before ?

Oh and thanks to Wobbly Dave(!) as I am in Leicester and will bear the offer o fhelp in mind

Siggi

Engineer
Thursday 1st September 2005, 07:43
Yes on 70 models, no need to take door off, strip your door pad remove complete check strap and connection from A pillar, repair it or fit another, the last one I had to buy, and it cost about £25.00

foz
Thursday 1st September 2005, 13:07
The door check strap is caused by the 2 welds that anchor the post fixing into the pillar of the car. Mine does exactly the same thing. Door off to repair, you can either get it welded or, look at a site called ozbricks, follow this link

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/door-stay_fix.html#frank

and he explains how to fix it with bolts. Fiddly, but saves the risk of setting your beloved T5 on fire!!. The engine revs surging could be caused by your aircon compressor. Does the aircon work, and is it switched on. If it is try turning it off to see if the problem goes away. Remember though that the aircon is turned on automatically if you put the switch to demist.
Tyres, well there is one. I fit only Z rated to my 850R. I believe insurance companies will play silly beggars if you fit the wrong tyre, and also I have been told that these tyres are reinforced to cope with the high loads these big cars place on the rubber. I was told this is the case for the 205 45 ZR17 fitted to the R's anyway. Hope some of this is useful.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 17:18
Look I found your first thread!!

Happy memories indeed - LOL

Porcine_Aviator
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 17:32
Some people will do anything to add to their thank list :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd April 2012, 17:47
Just so you didn't feel left out.

Just a bunch of thankers.

siggi
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 09:47
Just so you didn't feel left out.

Just a bunch of thankers.

Your attention to detail is admirable and you deserve all the thanks you get..

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th April 2012, 11:25
So are you driving an BRV S70 now?