PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler and flywheel ??

Tracey
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 12:14
Can I fit a used intercooler and flywheel

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 12:43
I can't quite work out the best answer so I will list them in order of thought...

1. Depends how good you are with spanners
2. Yes you can but that would also depend on where you want to put them. In the shed - this will greatly depend on the size of said shed & how much room is left. Under the stairs is also an opton (so long as you don't live in a bungalow).
3. You don't need our permission to crack on - technically though then the question would have been "May I fit a used intercooler & flywheel"
4 - (The most boring answer which is) - depends on the intercoooler - what car etc.

wegal
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 13:25
Now now mr wobbles.... did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning ?

I dont know about the fly wheel, but yes you can fit a second hand intercooler.. so long as its off the same car !! Id be very careful however that its in good condition as its time consuming to fit.

Do you have a D5 ? these are prone to bending the intercoolers all out of shape, you may find that the aircon rad is damaged as well if the intercooler bent really out of shape.

Im going to assume that your old one has ballooned at the bottom and probably split. You could go for an uprated unit - but thats going to be about a grand fitted. A standard volvo unit new is less than £300. Personally Id fit a new one, as, if the second hand one is also out of a D5 it may already have started the ballooning process.

If you second hand unit is out of a T5 it should still be ok so long as the T5 wasnt chipped up.

Hope that helps.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 14:09
Yeah but mine was more entertaining

dave stew
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 14:53
True enough. A bit of sarcasm never hurt anyone!

wegal
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 14:54
True...... :-)

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 15:01
Yes to both questions. no faffing around with long winded answers

adam b
Wednesday 22nd February 2012, 10:05
You need to be very careful with the flywheel, single or dual mass. Intercooler is fine, but ideally get it pressure tested as its pointless fitting a holed one. The holes aren't always obvious.

Tracey
Wednesday 22nd February 2012, 10:10
Great

LeeT5
Tuesday 28th February 2012, 10:20
Don't say much, do you? Anyways, perhaps if we knew what you were fitting the said intercooler and flywheel to and why, then we'd have been less in the dark and more in tune with your way of thinking. We'd all like to help so a little more info would go along way. :)

Rogerb
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 23:23
Hi,
If you have a D5 don't get a T5 intercooler as they do not have the mounting for the pressure sensor, ok you cod moud mod it but it is more work and an other failer point.
The only good thing about the T5 ones is that most of the scrap yard ones are not blown
up like the D5 cars.
On the wifes D5 I got a new Nessan one for £119 + vat, it looked better built than the volvo one and was cheeper.
Regards Rogerb.

p fandango
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 23:31
On the wifes D5 I got a new Nessan one for £119 + vat, it looked better built than the volvo one and was cheeper.
Regards Rogerb.
i've had a Nissen intercooler on for about a year now & no sign of any issues as yet. Funny thing is i had to block up a sensor port on it

Rogerb
Thursday 8th March 2012, 00:00
Yes there were two types, one with a sensor hole and one with out.
I have not seen a T5 with sensor on it, but all the D5's I have seen had a sensor on them and most had knackerd intercoolers.

Regards Rogerb