PDA

View Full Version : can you modify and lpg converted v70 t5

pamdam
Monday 20th February 2012, 17:39
i am looking for manual t5 to replace my auto 850 t5 and ive seen a cheap v70 which needs alittle tlc on ebay but its converted to lpg can i still modify that and get good power without having to remove the lpg kit?

probably a dumb question but never dealt with lpg before always thought it was the work of the devil.

claymore
Monday 20th February 2012, 17:43
Pault5estate is heading for over 400bhp with his lgp 850, so in answer to your question, yes you can modify your car if it has lgp :)

pamdam
Monday 20th February 2012, 17:46
good news thanks claymore, still not happy to sell my 850 but needs must and the auto box just isnt cutting it and im not ready to faff around with converting it to manual.

jayeastanglia
Monday 20th February 2012, 17:48
yes you can but needs careful setting up otherwise you get the lpg pop back in the inlet manifold..Had lpg on my landrover discovery which got me V8 power for cost of diesel mpg which was great for towing...had a xr4x4 sierra as well which was lpg converted and that had a single turbo technics stuff on it that xr ran really well on lpg as i am pretty sure the octane is close to 100 and they run real clean as well but again must be set up properly as all the scare storys are because people get single point ones and are set up for part throttle ok but not full throttle..best ones are multi point gas injection as they are usually powered by a small ecu which injects the gas as the engine needs it..
Am looking into lpg on my t5 as well.

Volvostorm
Monday 20th February 2012, 19:01
i am looking for manual t5 to replace my auto 850 t5 and ive seen a cheap v70 which needs alittle tlc on ebay but its converted to lpg can i still modify that and get good power without having to remove the lpg kit?

probably a dumb question but never dealt with lpg before always thought it was the work of the devil.

Tes, it can be done, a multi-point is best, on my last rolling road day, when the car was still standard, I on 245bhp on gas

Mine automaticly changes back on to petrol if it can't supply enough gas.

yes you can but needs careful setting up otherwise you get the lpg pop back in the inlet manifold..Had lpg on my landrover discovery which got me V8 power for cost of diesel mpg which was great for towing...had a xr4x4 sierra as well which was lpg converted and that had a single turbo technics stuff on it that xr ran really well on lpg as i am pretty sure the octane is close to 100 and they run real clean as well but again must be set up properly as all the scare storys are because people get single point ones and are set up for part throttle ok but not full throttle..best ones are multi point gas injection as they are usually powered by a small ecu which injects the gas as the engine needs it..
Am looking into lpg on my t5 as well.

LPG is closer to 110 octane ;)

Single point kits are well know for back firing, most people can't tell what fuel my Volvo is running on.

It was converted in Redditch ;)

Nealevo
Monday 20th February 2012, 19:17
As Paul's, mine is also lpg, all be it an auto 850r runs fine and I have a few mods.

Nealevo
Monday 20th February 2012, 19:22
i am looking for manual t5 to replace my auto 850 t5 and ive seen a cheap v70 which needs alittle tlc on ebay but its converted to lpg.

if its the red one in eBay, it looks like its only single point LPG not multi, I could be wrong but it looks nothing like mine

LiamT4
Monday 20th February 2012, 20:32
From what i'v heard lpg is well over 100octane (when compared to normal petrol), which makes it very resistent to detonation. So as long as its done well and has good mapping you can get plenty of power out of lpg.

pamdam
Monday 20th February 2012, 20:33
if its the red one in eBay, it looks like its only single point LPG not multi, I could be wrong but it looks nothing like mine

Yep thats the one, thanks mate ill check that

Volvostorm
Monday 20th February 2012, 20:39
Put the link up please :)

Nealevo
Monday 20th February 2012, 20:52
eBay number 270915516770
It's the best I can do on phone

Dangerous Dave
Monday 20th February 2012, 20:56
eBay number 270915516770
It's the best I can do on phone

LOL, you need a better phone mate :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270915516770?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2 Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570 .l1313%26_nkw%3D270915516770%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Nealevo
Monday 20th February 2012, 20:58
iPhone is good, operator is useless !!

Volvostorm
Monday 20th February 2012, 21:07
I reckon that a multi-point, you can see pipes coming from the box on the inlet manifold

Plus, its in the description! lol

Nealevo
Monday 20th February 2012, 21:30
I reckon that a multi-point, you can see pipes coming from the box on the inlet manifold

Plus, its in the description! lol

Yeah I should have read that instead of looking at pretty pictures, please ignore my previous posts, it's been a long day!!!

pamdam
Monday 20th February 2012, 21:51
Bloody orange lost signal in last 20 seconds so i lost auction. The search goes on. Cheers for help lads

Volvostorm
Monday 20th February 2012, 22:01
Shame that, it went for a fairly good price

fassi1
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 23:04
Tes, it can be done, a multi-point is best, on my last rolling road day, when the car was still standard, I on 245bhp on gas

Mine automaticly changes back on to petrol if it can't supply enough gas.

LPG is closer to 110 octane ;)

Single point kits are well know for back firing, most people can't tell what fuel my Volvo is running on.

It was converted in Redditch ;)
Unfortunately mate if it changes automaticly back to petrol if it can't supply enough gas, then u have wrong components fitted under the bonnet.
This sort of behaviour is unacceptable.
This sort of switch over under the high load can be dangerous for the engine as moment before getting back to petrol u may be running lean and then suddenly get back to rich.