PDA

View Full Version : The big 300!

T5Tom
Sunday 19th February 2012, 12:41
Right lads, I've been getting some stick off my mates for owning a 'grandad' car as I'm 23 and bought a Volvo for a project to keep me sane while my baby is only 4 months old (gets me out the house!).

One of my mates has an m3 which, don't get wrong It's ££££££££££ quick, but hes the one thats been giving me the most stick! Not too happy with this as you can imagine...... I've decided my T5 needs to be able to question his m3 atleast, possibly even beat it!

So far:

Decat,
White Injectors (not sure if these will be big enough?),
Bad boy intake which will be coming off and the origional box going back on with uprated panel filter,
I am in the process of making a 19t hybrid out of another 15g I bought,
RIP kit on the way when I fit my hybrid,
A bloody good service!!
Fitting my 850r clutch next Saturday with Daza-b
And ill get it all set up up with a proper remap afterwards,
Also a strut brace but ill sort the handling out after I've got the power :D

What sort of bhp can be expected from this set up? 300+??? I hope!

daza-b
Sunday 19th February 2012, 12:47
1 reply, has your mate watched top gear at all, cos the volvo lot will probably see the M3 driver as Jeremy Clarkson does, even tho i used to own one lol still think the volvo got more of a thrill factor, the only thing i miss doing is drifting :D

t5 pete
Sunday 19th February 2012, 12:51
A 19t and a good setup will see you at 300 possibly more

T5Tom
Sunday 19th February 2012, 12:57
A 19t and a good setup will see you at 300 possibly more

Will the white Injectors have enough flow to fuel upto that do you think?

t5 pete
Sunday 19th February 2012, 13:00
Tbh it all depends on the map and who is mapping the car its best to speak with them.

mitchyboy01
Sunday 19th February 2012, 13:00
I was 22 and had my first T5. It was a tad over 300bhp and soon shut my mates up When it minced everyone in their cars. My mate had had a 190bhp Golf GTI and thought he was king of the castle until the T5 utterly destroyed it on the bypass. His mouth was wide open as I sailed past. Mine had 15g, full 3inch stainless, MBC, CUSTOM remap. It was quicker than M3s even the 321bhp Evo version from a rolling start as the M3 RWD drivetrain saps more power from them than the FWD Volvo and the Volvo had 90lb/ft more torque!!. Mind you, from a standing start the Volvo was pretty useless. I took my mate out in mine as he was literally laughing as I pulled up. As soon as I floored it he was like 'WTF' !!!!!

mitchyboy01
Sunday 19th February 2012, 13:01
Will the white Injectors have enough flow to fuel upto that do you think?

Standard oranges will just see 300 but will be at nearly 100% duty cycle.

T5Tom
Sunday 19th February 2012, 13:05
1 reply, has your mate watched top gear at all, cos the volvo lot will probably see the M3 driver as Jeremy Clarkson does, even tho i used to own one lol still think the volvo got more of a thrill factor, the only thing i miss doing is drifting :D

I desperately wana beat him tho ha! I do like a good drift also :) 4 wheel drift in the gt4 were always good!

Al115
Sunday 19th February 2012, 13:07
Depends on the M3. My V70R won't come anywhere near the V8 one, and the others aren't slow!

You can carry more furniture in yours though :)

mitchyboy01
Sunday 19th February 2012, 13:08
Depends on the M3. My V70R won't come anywhere near the V8 one, and the others aren't slow!

You can carry more furniture in yours though :)

E36 matey, at least I guess as the newer ones are ultra rapid!!

T5Tom
Sunday 19th February 2012, 13:37
Ye its an e36 not the v8, he said if my Volvo ever beats him he'll get it supercharged lol!

I think I'm going to strip the interior out too, I'm not sure tho as Il only have 2 seats then and it will lose all practicality!...... Hmmmmmm decisions......

Volvostorm
Sunday 19th February 2012, 14:30
Clarkson is a huge fan of the T5's, he called them 'The Terminator'

t5_monkey
Sunday 19th February 2012, 17:33
If he's in the 6 cylinder M3....

There shouldn't be much in it if you remap yours, also - a 2nd gear pull from about 10mph.... that way he'll have to swing through his limp wristed non turbo rev range to get on cam, while you have your turbo pumped mid range :) He may be quicker, but he will be sweating a fair bit!

Al115
Sunday 19th February 2012, 18:54
If he's in the 6 cylinder M3....

There shouldn't be much in it if you remap yours, also - a 2nd gear pull from about 10mph.... that way he'll have to swing through his limp wristed non turbo rev range to get on cam, while you have your turbo pumped mid range :) He may be quicker, but he will be sweating a fair bit!

Think you're right. My M3-engined Z4 is happily quicker than any Volvo I've ever owned, sadly. A couple of them might have come close, but no cigar.

t5_monkey
Sunday 19th February 2012, 18:55
Think you're right. My M3-engined Z4 is happily quicker than any Volvo I've ever owned, sadly. A couple of them might have come close, but no cigar.

Agreed, Still If you drive an M3 I don't think you'd feel full of yourself after beating a Volvo be a car length or two over a 70+mph increment.

T5Tom
Sunday 19th February 2012, 19:12
In reality I don't think ill beat it but i just wana come close atleast :) definately no chance of outhandling a beemer... They're pretty much the best

Al115
Sunday 19th February 2012, 19:55
The Monkey is right, you will get a lot of satisfaction from sitting on his tail, even if you don't get past :)

t5_monkey
Sunday 19th February 2012, 20:58
The Monkey is right, you will get a lot of satisfaction from sitting on his tail, even if you don't get past :)

The Monkey has had much satisfaction from being a hanger on to more exotic metal.

woz
Sunday 19th February 2012, 21:39
you will need Zorst - the standard one aint bad but too restrictive to let the high end ponies out.

Even if he beats you, remember you will still need to wear a hat to look like a :):):):) in your Volvo.

He wont!

( I remember being hugely amused when my 13 year old daughter came home and asked "Dad what does BMW stand for?" I muttered something about Bavarian Motor geschaft, and she said "No - Black Mans Willy" - Shameful schools round here!!

glock19
Sunday 19th February 2012, 23:42
Ask your BMW friend to look up youtube and see how many 850-T5 can take on the M3. Case closed.... :D

300HP is just a number. Is it at 6500 rpm nearing your engine limiter or @ 3500 rpm where you have a good torque response ? If you really want to have a standing start, get better tires for the front and stronger suspension for the rear.

We have beaten M3-V8 on zero to hundred with an auto T5 (chipped of course). Later he came back with a BOT and again lost. The next day his engine was opened up, I guess for forged pistons/rods or something fried inside

wegal
Monday 20th February 2012, 13:01
I dont know if an 850 will beat an M3, but the P2 S60 with a few tweaks will :-) Ive never thought of the M3 as being all that fast.... the new M5 however .. eeek !

Al115
Monday 20th February 2012, 14:15
I dont know if an 850 will beat an M3, but the P2 S60 with a few tweaks will :-)

Really??? I know there are so many variables in this (driver... type of road... being the two of the greatest) but I'm still staggered to hear that.

wegal
Monday 20th February 2012, 16:26
Really??? I know there are so many variables in this (driver... type of road... being the two of the greatest) but I'm still staggered to hear that.

Been up against two of them, its a proper close call, and they are fast cars no doubt, but yup I won em both times :-)

LiamT4
Monday 20th February 2012, 16:42
We have beaten M3-V8 on zero to hundred with an auto T5 (chipped of course). Later he came back with a BOT and again lost. The next day his engine was opened up, I guess for forged pistons/rods or something fried inside

What other mods? Even the 2.4 s60t5 would need a fair bit more than a remap to beat the e90 m3 to 100mph.

0-100mph in 9.4secs is pretty quick.

T5Tom
Monday 20th February 2012, 17:08
What other mods? Even the 2.4 s60t5 would need a fair bit more than a remap to beat the e90 m3 to 100mph.

Ye thats a proper fast car!

I think traction has a big part to play in it also, with the 850 being FWD it lifts off the start where as the RWD beemer will bog down slightly... it will be a close call while im torque steering into both lanes! lol

t5_monkey
Monday 20th February 2012, 18:02
Ask your BMW friend to look up youtube and see how many 850-T5 can take on the M3. Case closed.... :D

300HP is just a number. Is it at 6500 rpm nearing your engine limiter or @ 3500 rpm where you have a good torque response ? If you really want to have a standing start, get better tires for the front and stronger suspension for the rear.

The Cat just read your post :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_S5cXbXe-4&feature=related

T5Tom
Monday 20th February 2012, 18:11
the cat just read your post :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_s5cxbxe-4&feature=related

lol!!

LiamT4
Monday 20th February 2012, 20:47
The e90 m3 does 0-60mph in around 4.5secs and 60-100 in around 5secs, so it will take some serious power to to beat, from a standstill or from a rolling start.

Theres probably only a handfull of cars on here that will do 60-100 in that sort of time, think someone mentioned that JCviggens old monster could do it in 4.9.

For comparison the e36 m3 evo (96ish) could do 0-100mph in 12.2, which aint bad. The e36's 60-100mph time is just under 7secs, there a few cars on here that can do it in that time (and quicker), from s60s, through t4s, s/v/c70s, 850s and even an old tech 940. lol

Jim S70R
Monday 20th February 2012, 23:32
The M3 may look good on paper but a healthy T5 (with light mods) in anybody form should be able to scare/give it a run against the six pot engine M3's!! The V8 models will take alot more modding before going head to head ;)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 20th February 2012, 23:46
I was pretty level pegging with an E36 M3 at Cadwell. But TBH - it is impossible to tell if the guy driving was going for it or not.

glock19
Monday 20th February 2012, 23:50
the cat just read your post :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_s5cxbxe-4&feature=related

pmsl .... :d

glock19
Monday 20th February 2012, 23:57

Okay to be more specific, it has 2871-R, tubular manifold, bigger injectors (of course but no idea what cc), 18" slicks, FMIC, Alcohol/aqua-mist, launching from 3000 rpm on an auto and some aero-dynamics. All these on a piggy-back ECU.

Also forgive me on the 0-100 sprint. It was a quarter mile affair.

GregE102
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 00:05
I have mullered an M3 E36 once moving on the bypass and also had head to head with and M3 E43 from about 60 he came up behind me in the fast lane flashing his lights for me to move and i could not go anywhere? so once the car in front pulled overI dropped it to 3rd and floored it! he never came past me but as he had a limiter and I did not he lost!
And when i did slow for my turning he came past me calling me a :):):):):):)?
Must have been some one that knew me! lol

But from standing start on normal road conditions both would beat us of the line I would say!

t5_monkey
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 00:11
I have mullered an M3 E36 once moving on the bypass and also had head to head with and M3 E43 from about 60 he came up behind me in the fast lane flashing his lights for me to move and i could not go anywhere? so once the car in front pulled overI dropped it to 3rd and floored it! he never came past me but as he had a limiter and I did not he lost!

But from standing start on normal road conditions both would beat us of the line I would say!

I presume you mean his rev limiter in 2nd making him stick at 69mph ? :)

He may have just seen his own reflection in a mirror, causing him to get territorial and scream abuse.... you know BMW drivers can't distinguish between their reflection and another BMW driver :)

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 16:48

I'm surprised the e46 kept up with you to be honest, unless the e36 wasn't an evo or was shagged, as theres only a couple of tenths between the e36 evo and the e46 m3 on the 60-100mph time.

GregE102
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 18:13
I'm surprised the e46 kept up with you to be honest, unless the e36 wasn't an evo or was shagged, as theres only a couple of tenths between the e36 evo and the e46 m3 on the 60-100mph time.

No the E36 was the 3.2 and i know for a fact has done 190000 miles, so shagged! the E46 I instantly pulled out a car length on him and continued to pull away from him but not a massive pace after the the 1.5 mile stretch I lifted off he was about 80 -100 yards behind me but hard to judge but not what i would class as a total Mullering!

Beside I only have a 16T!!!

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 18:19
i recently battered an e90 335i at santa pod lol

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 18:24
The e90 m3 does 0-60mph in around 4.5secs and 60-100 in around 5secs, so it will take some serious power to to beat, from a standstill or from a rolling start.

Theres probably only a handfull of cars on here that will do 60-100 in that sort of time, think someone mentioned that JCviggens old monster could do it in 4.9.

For comparison the e36 m3 evo (96ish) could do 0-100mph in 12.2, which aint bad. The e36's 60-100mph time is just under 7secs, there a few cars on here that can do it in that time (and quicker), from s60s, through t4s, s/v/c70s, 850s and even an old tech 940. lol

who told you it was 12.2 mate thats supercar speed, more like low to mid 14's

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 18:26
I dont know if an 850 will beat an M3, but the P2 S60 with a few tweaks will :-) Ive never thought of the M3 as being all that fast.... the new M5 however .. eeek !

strange comment as any 850 will batter a slow arse phase 2 lol

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 18:27

you need to stop taking your figures from torque stats and fastest laps mate

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 20:48
No the E36 was the 3.2 and i know for a fact has done 190000 miles, so shagged! the E46 I instantly pulled out a car length on him and continued to pull away from him but not a massive pace after the the 1.5 mile stretch I lifted off he was about 80 -100 yards behind me but hard to judge but not what i would class as a total Mullering!

Beside I only have a 16T!!!

Thats sounds about right then, just saying that there shouldn't be too much between an evo m3 and the e46.
If the the evo would have been a good un then it would have only been slightly slower than the e46, but on 190k its vanos probably needs doing for the 10th time. lol

who told you it was 12.2 mate thats supercar speed, more like low to mid 14's

I remember that from an issue of performance car (now evo magazine) where they tested it against a tvr cerbera and they got 0-100mph in under 13secs. (The tvr did it in 9)

you need to stop taking your figures from torque stats and fastest laps mate

Torquestats, fastest laps, dragtimes, carfolio, evo, etc.
Where should i be taking my figures from?

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 20:52
Thats sounds about right then, just saying that there shouldn't be too much between an evo m3 and the e46.
If the the evo would have been a good un then it would have only been slightly slower than the e46, but on 190k its vanos probably needs doing for the 10th time. lol

I remember that from an issue of performance car (now evo magazine) where they tested it against a tvr cerbera and they got 0-100mph in under 13secs. (The tvr did it in 9)

Torquestats, fastest laps, dragtimes, carfolio, evo, etc.
Where should i be taking my figures from?

from tested magazines or youtube videos not from sites where people put there own times in the new m3 is around 12 secs the e46 is over 14

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 21:02
from tested magazines or youtube videos not from sites where people put there own times in the new m3 is around 12 secs the e46 is over 14

Where you getting those from??

Ok then, Evo states e90 at 10.7. No way an e46 is over 14secs.

I'll never quote times from watching a youtube video of someone i don't know, how do you know theres nowt dodgy going on?
Could have been done on a hill, you can't be sure. Plus, i don't know how accurate there speedo actually is.

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 21:21
Where you getting those from??

Ok then, Evo states e90 at 10.7. No way an e46 is over 14secs.

I'll never quote times from watching a youtube video of someone i don't know, how do you know theres nowt dodgy going on?
Could have been done on a hill, you can't be sure. Plus, i don't know how accurate there speedo actually is.

nobody is gonna time a car going uphill are they?

yeah i was reading from the crappy american 3.0 versions, still you wont get 17 secs in yours so all good lol

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 21:27
nobody is gonna time a car going uphill are they?

yeah i was reading from the crappy american 3.0 versions, still you wont get 17 secs in yours so all good lol

No, but they may time it down hill.

You never know mate, its not a standard diesel.;)

I will be taking it on the 1/4mile, still be a laugh. :eclipsee_

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 21:44
No, but they may time it down hill.

You never know mate, its not a standard diesel.;)

I will be taking it on the 1/4mile, still be a laugh. :eclipsee_

you can race me mate, and why is it not standard? remapped it yet?

t5_monkey
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 21:51
Everyones forgetting.. even if a BMW is better, it's still like flying a Merschersmitt instead of a Spitfire cause it's 'got the edge'

it makes you a bell and a traitor!

*patriotic trumpets*

http://www.channel4.com/media/images/Channel4/c4-news/OCT/06/06_CameronWantsYougfx_small.jpg

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 21:56
you can race me mate, and why is it not standard? remapped it yet?

I'v not done anything to it, but its already been done.

I'm hoping to beat p fandangos d5 time from last year.

T5frankie
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 22:02
I'v not done anything to it, but its already been done.

I'm hoping to beat p fandangos d5 time from last year.

you can race me mate if you want? i'll give you a 3 second headstart lol

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 22:05
Everyones forgetting.. even if a BMW is better, it's still like flying a Merschersmitt instead of a Spitfire cause it's 'got the edge'

it makes you a bell and a traitor!

*patriotic trumpets*

http://www.channel4.com/media/images/Channel4/c4-news/OCT/06/06_CameronWantsYougfx_small.jpg

That picture does not make me feel patriotic, like most pics of any of our MPs now, its makes me want to vomit.

This would have been much better
http://myhero.com/images/guest/g6857/hero7007/g6857_u3848_Sir_Winston_Churchill.jpg

t5_monkey
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 22:11
Is this one better ? :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/curly15/Daily%20Photo/Overflow%201/churchill.jpg

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 22:17
Is this one better ? :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/curly15/Daily%20Photo/Overflow%201/churchill.jpg

No, i doubt you could find a pic of any recent MPs that i wouldn't want to use as target practice.

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 22:20
you can race me mate if you want? i'll give you a 3 second headstart lol

lol

I wouldn't give me that much of a headstart, unless your gonna run a 13sec, you'll lose. ;)

T5Tom
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 22:43
I like where this is going :)

t5_monkey
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 22:51
*bunfight Bunfight Bunfight*

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/taste/buns.jpg

LiamT4
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 23:20
I like where this is going :)

The banter (p*ss taking) is all part of the fun on the 1/4mile. lol

T5Tom