PDA

View Full Version : ABS/Tracs light

jslewis5998
Sunday 28th August 2005, 14:05
Hey guys. Stripped, cleaned and rebuilt brakes the other day. Now occaisionally the ABS/Tracs light comes on. It will either come on when you start up, then go out once i get to 10/20 mph, or it will come on after driving at motorway speeds then coming to a stop. No pattern to it. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes to doesn't. My guess is that I've disturbed a hub sensor. Am I right? cheers. Jez. 98 V70 t5

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th August 2005, 21:20
Depends what you mean by rebuilt the brakes? The sensor is not in the caliper.

I suggest you go to VT and have the codes read and take it from there. I personally suspect the ABS ECU - but until we know for sure then it will be hard to narrow down.

If you should need the ECU repairing then I can help - but until we reach that point it will need diagnosis first.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th August 2005, 21:21
BTW I moved the thread into General Probs - the place where you put it originally is for site incidents/advice/problems etc not cars - LOL!

Cheers

Dave

Ian C70T5
Sunday 28th August 2005, 21:28
Mine does this, sometimes it also stays on and sometimes it does not come on at all..

very varied.. I can also hear the springs go on the module sometimes..

I have replaced the rear abs sensors under advice as they were erroring. i have since found it still doing same thing. I found that a recon module is about £400 which is not nice..

We had a go at resoldering it ourselves but it only fixed it for a few days.. :-(

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th August 2005, 22:02
Mine does this, sometimes it also stays on and sometimes it does not come on at all..

very varied.. I can also hear the springs go on the module sometimes..

I have replaced the rear abs sensors under advice as they were erroring. i have since found it still doing same thing. I found that a recon module is about £400 which is not nice..

We had a go at resoldering it ourselves but it only fixed it for a few days.. :-(You know that I will be able to fix it for you Ian... (100% success record so far - touch wood) and a damn sight cheaper than 400 quid!!

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=224

jslewis5998
Monday 29th August 2005, 15:04
Hi, Sorry for posting the question in the wrong place.. Im new to all this !!

What I did to the brakes was basicly stripped the pads out, cleaned off all the dust, cleaned the calipers and discs (including park brake shoes/drums) and reassembled them all. I notices the ABS sensors within the rear hub, which is what made me think I'd disturbed something, maybe .

Jez

colin123
Monday 29th August 2005, 21:31
I have v70 t5 late shape, and mine does exactly the same, some times they come on, saying that the fault code is reading, n/s sensor is faullty, this has been replaced by volvo still comes up with the same fault, + imissions abs + traction then for a about a week its all ok, then they start messing about again, you stop switch on swttch off a couple of times, and its all ok again.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 00:34
I have v70 t5 late shape, and mine does exactly the same, some times they come on, saying that the fault code is reading, n/s sensor is faullty, this has been replaced by volvo still comes up with the same fault, + imissions abs + traction then for a about a week its all ok, then they start messing about again, you stop switch on swttch off a couple of times, and its all ok again.
The codes are usually related to a faulty ABS ECU - which I can repair for you, should you so wish.

colin123
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 21:02
Thanks, if it keeps happing i'll give you a shout, what sort of cost are we talking about anyway,, Thanks colin

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 23:50
PM sent

Daz T5
Wednesday 31st August 2005, 19:10
When this problem manifest's itself, does the Cruise Control stop working as well?

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 1st September 2005, 00:17
People who I have done the repair for have complained about failed CC, which was rectified by the recon unit.

jslewis5998
Sunday 4th September 2005, 00:02
When this problem manifest's itself, does the Cruise Control stop working as well?
Hi, When the tracs/ABS lights come on, the cruise control still works on mine.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 4th September 2005, 00:51
the speed sensor control is part of the circuit as far as I know. Like I said - service has been resumed following the fix?