PDA

View Full Version : clutch biting point?

volvokid
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 10:18
On mine its quite high up, can anyone confirm if this is normal?

M-R-P
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 10:25
Mine's high too, plod changed it at 50k, it's now done 136k on the same clutch - I'll be watching this thread with interest...

Jimmie
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 10:29
It can be normal.
Put the car on a hill and see were the biting point is,if it pulls away don't worry about it.

How long is a piece of string?

"think defender".lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 10:33
Is there any warning that it's about to go? flairing or anything like that? My DMF has been "chirping" since I got it too :(

wegal
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 11:03
Martin.... normally a clutch will wear rather than just fail, what you normally find is that when the car is cold it all works fine, then you will notice that as it all warms up the revs climb, but the speed doesnt follow suit. It can be a bit difficult to notice in your own car as you get used to the progressive wear.

After a while the clutch will start to slip badly, especially when going up hill. You will notice this ! Its usually apparent from the really bad smell.

It more noticable if you do a lot of distance motorway work, the clutch gets really hot with just a little slip, but as it heats up the slip becomes noticable. Short runs on normal roads may not always make a clutch problem apparent, as it never gets really hot ( unless its slipping badly) If I ever doubt a clutch I take the car for a motorway run, preferably one with long hill climbs..easy for me as I live near the M67 and M62, both of which have long duration climbs.

The old trick of putting the handbrake on and then trying to drive off in 2nd gear ( the car should stall ) works ok so long as you remember to do it with a car that has just had a decent length drive. If you do it from cold, even with a badly worn clutch it doesnt always show the problem up.

Hope that helps.

y2blade
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 11:21
Generally on these it is not the clutch that fails, it is the Concentric Slave Cylinder.

dave stew
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 12:48
They tend to bite quite high up. I replaced mine at about 140k, did the slave cylinder at the same time. Biting point was identical once the new clutch assembly was in.

STEVO RRR
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 22:05
Its high up on my s60r too.Look on the bright side you dont have to depress the clutch pedal to the floor to change gear.
Steve

T5frankie
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 22:28
It's high on my 850 and low on my v70r and was low when it was fitted brand new

volvokid
Thursday 16th February 2012, 08:40
Cheers guys i didn't have any real doubt it was on its way out but the cars done 115k and its still the original one.

STEVO RRR
Thursday 16th February 2012, 14:46
Cheers guys i didn't have any real doubt it was on its way out but the cars done 115k and its still the original one.

Thats very good for an R.Well done.Just an early warning for you.When you get the clutch you`ll also,almost certainly,need a dual mass flywheel too.They always go.Remember get the clutch from Volvo but shop around for the slave and dmf.
Steve

volvokid
Thursday 16th February 2012, 19:08
Thats very good for an R.Well done.Just an early warning for you.When you get the clutch you`ll also,almost certainly,need a dual mass flywheel too.They always go.Remember get the clutch from Volvo but shop around for the slave and dmf.
Steve

My V40 done over 200k and the clutch is still going lol. Thanks for the warning