PDA

View Full Version : Engine Management Light

T5RPete
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 05:09
The little green triangle light on the dash (bottom right) has come on in my car.

I seem to remember being told this could be the lambda light or an engine management light.

I'm guessing the simple answer will be no, but any ideas what would cause this? As far as my technical ability can see under the bonnet, everything is as it was before the light came on.

I was driving when it came on, had about 2 miles left of my journey, and it seemed to accelerate ok, breaked ok, idled ok so i'm right confused?

Any help would be greatly appriciated as i've got two 220mile journeys to do in the next 5 days and I don't want to be killing my car.

Thanks

bigrotch
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 05:21
Best get codes read mate

T5RPete
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 05:23
Best get codes read mate

being a '95 model, do I have the necessary plug-in port to read codes??

bigrotch
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 05:43
95 that must be obd1 I thnk which will mean I think it will flash u the codes under the bonnet if it's obd2 u will have a port near ya gear changer under the coin holder... I might be corrected but im shore that's how obd1 are read... Wait a hour or so and some more members who know will be up

T5RPete
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 05:45
95 that must be obd1 I thnk which will mean I think it will flash u the codes under the bonnet if it's obd2 u will have a port near ya gear changer under the coin holder... I might be corrected but im shore that's how obd1 are read... Wait a hour or so and some more members who know will be up

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, thats it, as I don't have a coin holder (and therfore no port underneath it)

p fandango
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 06:18
you'll have the diagnostic port in the engine bay by the screen wash filler neck. You won't need a scanner or anything else, but i haven't got any instructions to hand how to use it

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 07:34
Put the wire in to box number two on the one with the switch and led on it - turn ign on, then press the button for a few seconds, count the flashes...this will work out what the code is...so 3 fast flashes, 2 slow, 3 fast for example...so 323...then let me know and i or we will tell you what the code is...easy! lol switch ign off when done...repeat as needed.
O and they will be a 3 second gap inbetween each code....

T5frankie
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 07:39
i now have both mine on on both my volvos lol

T5RPete
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 09:29
Put the wire in to box number two on the one with the switch and led on it - turn ign on, then press the button for a few seconds, count the flashes...this will work out what the code is...so 3 fast flashes, 2 slow, 3 fast for example...so 323...then let me know and i or we will tell you what the code is...easy! lol switch ign off when done...repeat as needed.
O and they will be a 3 second gap inbetween each code....

Thanks for that, what wire do you mean? Or is it just a random bit of wire?

T5RPete
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 09:29
i now have both mine on on both my volvos lol

I take it you just ignor them then??

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 10:32
O its a random bit of wire...lol lift up the bonnet, look at the filler neck for washer bottle, theres two plastic caps next to each other, pull them both off and i am sure the wire is attached to the left one...well get the wire it has a little terminal end on it and put it in to number two on the one with the switch...it sounds confusing now but when u look under the bonnet u will see...lol