PDA

View Full Version : not so BIG now....

TedBovis
Sunday 28th August 2005, 00:14
Ooops....

guess what happened next.....

whilst racing around donington the oil light flashed a couple of times and then the temperature suddenly went into the red and then .......... ooops....yep my Big end wasnt quite so big.......

So I now have a C70 with an engine that wont turn over as the big end has gone, where its gone I'm not quite sure but I can guess from the noise that its going to be A) exspensive and B)a big job

so can somebody explain to me in simple language what hapens when a Big end goes and what the repair bill is likely to be (NOT main dealer) and if its exspensive does anybody have a T5 98 engine suitable for a RICA C70 preferably one with less than 100K on the clock ?

it was such good fun wilst it lasted :(

Titch
Sunday 28th August 2005, 00:30
If the big end has gone you will need a rebuild. As you were going at speed you will more than likely damaged the crank. As I found to my cost, you can't get oversize bearings for a T5 so you will need a new crank. I think your best option is to source a now bottom end and take from there.

volvotuning
Sunday 28th August 2005, 01:18
Ouch!

I would also try to find out what caused the oil light to come on, ie did you lose oil or did you lose oil pressure. If you rebuild the engine, you want to make sure it won't happen again.

When a big end goes due to oil starvation, what happens is that oil does lubricate the bearings that sit between the crank and the con rod. This causes friction. The bearing then fails and you end up with a damaged crank and con rod. If you continue to drive like this, the heat build up will be so huge that you will break the engine completely, which is what happend to Spesh when he snapped the con rod.

Adam.

spesh
Sunday 28th August 2005, 02:05
I feel sorry for you, nice big job, as Adam says find out the cause of the problem before fixing it, shouldn't cost to much if the labour aint to much. I can do you a good price on labour!!!!!

TedBovis
Sunday 28th August 2005, 08:34
cheers guys, I'll see what my local garage say on Tuesday when they are back in and have a look at it :(

Pehaps its time to replace the tired turbo at the same time as the rebuild.....

Very funny comment from one of the other drivers when I got back into the pit though, "I dont know much about Diesels but it sounds serious", it did sound very rough though. :troutslap

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 28th August 2005, 22:42
Sorry to hear of your woes!

TedBovis
Monday 29th August 2005, 20:18
I remember a few months back when I had the Rica installed Hamish/Adam did say that my turbo was very tired and would probably need replacing within the year and I think the 15T is standard on the C70 T5, is there any merit in replacing it with a 16T and is it a straight swap?
are there any issues with doing this with the RICA will I need a remap?

What is the difference in a 15T - 16T would I actually notice any difference?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 01:02
16T is the standard turbo for the 70 series in general.

TedBovis
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 10:08
I was under the impression it was only a 15T on the C70 T5 ? standard not GT

Nice whilst it lasted though and even managed to get a photo of me before the small problem....

http://www.lindleypetphotography.co.uk/galleries/donnington/img_6498.htm

Straker
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 12:29
As discussed definately check why your oil light came on in the fisrt place. Have you checked the oil since the incident?

If there is still plenty in there you might have an issue while racing around that the oil is lying vertically against the sides of the sump so you don't pick up any oil. Race cars have baffels in the sump to prevent this happening.

never having raced mine I have no experiance but doesn't mean no-one else has......

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 12:33
I was under the impression it was only a 15T on the C70 T5 ? standard not GT

Nice whilst it lasted though and even managed to get a photo of me before the small problem....

http://www.lindleypetphotography.co.uk/galleries/donnington/img_6498.htm

I prefer this pic http://www.lindleypetphotography.co.uk/galleries/donnington/img_6478.htm Was this your first track event in the c70?

x

TedBovis
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 12:44
It was my second time around Donington we had a track day a few months back and the car was faultless on that occasion apart from when I started to run a little low on fuel and it did start to miss a little on the last few laps...although that session was wet/dry and so pehaps I wasnt giving it quite as much abuse as I was this time.

I'll get the garage to make some investigations and sort the problems out and then take it for another go :)

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 12:57
Excellent!!! :D

Which garage are you using? Have you tried DPA in Nottingham as members get a discount there?

x

TedBovis
Tuesday 30th August 2005, 14:11
Nah its parked/dumped down at my little local garage outside Norwich, they have always done a top class job on all my cars and always at a great price never had any issues with them, although I dont think they will get to it very quickly as it was rather a late/last minute dumped on them. But hey what the heck at least I can have a little fun in the wifes 1.7 Puma :)

TedBovis
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 10:40
OK so the garage has made several calls out to Volvo Breakers and other locations for an Engine and they are having no luck at least nothing at a reasonable price that is :( so if anybody has an engine give me a PM :(

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 12:46
Have you tried calling Mark @ Salvo?

x

siamblue
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 13:28
Ted have you thought about buying another T5? The 850's are not going for that much and if you can find a low mileage one for £2k use the engine then sell the rest of the car off, Everyone needs parts for these beasts, I am sure you will recoup most of your money back and you will have a good engine.

Gary

TedBovis
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 16:04
"Mark @ Salvo?"

Sorry dont know who Mark is or who Salvo are :? or where to find them....

after a little search I did find http://www.salvonet.com/ but I really dont see how an internet design company will help me find a new engine, unless you are suggesting that Mark produces a nice website for me to advertise the fact that I need a new engine ;) ....sry... :troutslap

Are the 850 T5 engines the same as the C/V/S70 engines ?

TedBovis
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 16:12
I got it..... ;)

http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/salvosite.htm

as suggested in the discount section :) cheers

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 16:20
I got it..... ;)

http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/salvosite.htm

as suggested in the discount section :) cheers

Thats the one!!! And you'll get the discount too ;)

x

TedBovis
Wednesday 7th September 2005, 16:56
TOP stuff, cheers that will be one low-ish milage engine on its way to me less a 10% discount.

:thewave:

TedBovis
Monday 19th September 2005, 16:58
The C70 has now risen from the flames....it can be re-built bigger and stronger than before :D

Not done many miles just yet and I'm taking it easy for the first few hundred but it does seem a bit more nippy (can I use the work `nippy` when refering to a volvo?) probably the good service and the new turbo that's doing that, but so far I'm very happy, although quite a bit poorer :/ oh well ££££ happens :D

Wobbly Dave
Monday 19th September 2005, 17:11
All's well that end's well! Who, what, when, where - repair wise?

C70T5
Monday 19th September 2005, 18:25
Not sure if you've already been asked but what sort of times was the car getting around the track?

TedBovis
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 14:29
Ah, I dunno about the times around the track, never timed it just went for the fun and there was a little traffic so not always easy to get a clear run, next time though :D

repairs were all carried out by the little village garage I have been using for a lot of years but always do a great job.

Engine was an 850 T5 with 106K on the clock from Salvo - £540
new/recon Turbo 16T was from VT - £350 (part ex for the old one)
and labour - !!!!(still to come!)

All prices exclude VAT :(

oh and as my Pads had taken some abuse around the track a couple of those, incidently the Brakes are excellent now probably because the system was stripped down and the ABS unit was re-conned :) although I do need to get my ABS light reset.

Oh and the new Turbo has made a BIG difference my old one must have been very tired, more responsive with more pull, unless its the newer engine :)