PDA

View Full Version : How to open up the ECU cover??

daza-b
Monday 13th February 2012, 15:26
Hiya guys how the heck do you open up the ecu cover on a P1 V70? doing my nut in now lol and getting to the part where im gonna end up snapping it, thanks in advance :)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th February 2012, 15:28
Use a long thin flat screwdriver to lift/prize off the metal clips under the lip formed at the top of the large black box. One is by the inner wing & the other opposite the PAS pump wheel.

Kingsford G
Monday 13th February 2012, 15:31
Use a long thin flat screwdriver to lift/prize of the metal clips under the lip formed at the top of the large black box. One is by the inner wing & the other opposite the PAS pump wheel.

Yep,do the inner one first and hold it up and then the outer one.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th February 2012, 15:39
Forgot to say - you will also need to remove the plastic cooler hose from the front of the lid.

daza-b
Monday 13th February 2012, 15:57
Use a long thin flat screwdriver to lift/prize off the metal clips under the lip formed at the top of the large black box. One is by the inner wing & the other opposite the PAS pump wheel.

what about that stupid black metal strap that goes around it?

M-R-P
Monday 13th February 2012, 16:07
Angle grinder - Pedro style ;)

daza-b
Monday 13th February 2012, 16:08

lol did that last time, but need to learn to take them out without smashing the box to bits like last time lol

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th February 2012, 16:29
Take a metal punch & a hammer - and tap the little black screw anti-clockwise. You should then be able to unscrew it, remove the clamp (I don't have one anymore).

daza-b
Monday 13th February 2012, 16:49
Take a metal punch & a hammer - and tap the little black screw anti-clockwise. You should then be able to unscrew it, remove the clamp (I don't have one anymore).

cheers done the job :) going to be leaving it off from now on lol

Wobbly Dave
Monday 13th February 2012, 17:00
You can put it back if you wish or replace the security bolt with a regular nut?

daza-b
Monday 13th February 2012, 17:07
You can put it back if you wish or replace the security bolt with a regular nut?

not sure yet, im in more of a predicament as some of the wiring may be slightly different than the t5, which makes my life 10 times harder lol

p fandango
Monday 13th February 2012, 17:14
BT didn't have the strap, so had to make do with binning the box lol

Jamest5r
Monday 13th February 2012, 18:50
not sure yet, im in more of a predicament as some of the wiring may be slightly different than the t5, which makes my life 10 times harder lol

You can swop the engine loom as a whole mate it splits under the ecu box, not too bad a job but inlet mani has to come off to get to the starter and knock, took me about 3hrs all in.

daza-b
Monday 13th February 2012, 20:07
You can swop the engine loom as a whole mate it splits under the ecu box, not too bad a job but inlet mani has to come off to get to the starter and knock, took me about 3hrs all in.

yea i found that bit lol, main thing thats puzzling me is that there is a couple of fuses in different places if that makes sense and i wont have a plug for the boost control solenoid, other than that i think its all straight forward :)