PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know about Astra's??

silverswedemachine
Friday 10th February 2012, 19:56
I know its not a Volvo but there are plenty of knowledgeable folk on here and someone might have owned one as second motor so worth a try...

Well my mate has a Y reg '01' Astra, 1800cc, low miles and is experiencing an electrical gremlin some where, i think its either the wiring on the steering barrel or the immobiliser is playing tricks...

Problem goes something like this, get in the car, turn the key to start the car but instead of the engine starting after a few turns it just carries on cranking, no splutters or anything, i think it would prob do this until the battery went flat, but anyway, if you turn the ignition off and then go to start the car straight away, it fires up no problem, no missing or coughing, just as its supposed to... Apparently sometimes it doesnt catch on the second start atempt but will fire on the third...

Mark

Kingsford G
Friday 10th February 2012, 20:01
So it turns the engine over..What happens to the lights on the dash?

silverswedemachine
Friday 10th February 2012, 20:05
Firstly, it by the sounds of it, it has a very good battery on it, cranks very fast...

The lights on the dash stay as they would, all light up, only with the oil light goin out after time...

Kingsford G
Friday 10th February 2012, 20:53
Firstly, it by the sounds of it, it has a very good battery on it, cranks very fast...

The lights on the dash stay as they would, all light up, only with the oil light goin out after time...
Hrd to tell without looking but would check for fault codes first,should come up if immoboliser is faulty.Check for the spark and fuel supply when she does it and go from there but code reading is recommended.

I want a T5
Saturday 11th February 2012, 06:24
Sounds like its flooding on the first attempt.......my Nissan 200sx does this sometimes and I have to disconnect the fuel pump and crank it until it fires and then dies. Then re connect the pump and off she goes without a problem!

Maybe something to do with the car's cold start system?

smithy
Saturday 11th February 2012, 09:58
I know its not a Volvo but there are plenty of knowledgeable folk on here and someone might have owned one as second motor so worth a try...

Well my mate has a Y reg '01' Astra, 1800cc, low miles and is experiencing an electrical gremlin some where, i think its either the wiring on the steering barrel or the immobiliser is playing tricks...

Problem goes something like this, get in the car, turn the key to start the car but instead of the engine starting after a few turns it just carries on cranking, no splutters or anything, i think it would prob do this until the battery went flat, but anyway, if you turn the ignition off and then go to start the car straight away, it fires up no problem, no missing or coughing, just as its supposed to... Apparently sometimes it doesnt catch on the second start atempt but will fire on the third...

Mark
its the ecu they are welknown for it.the ecu on the 1.6/1.8 is bolted to the side of the engine and the heat and crap kills the boards inside.the 2.0/2.5 dont suffer from the same problem because the ecu is inside the car mate.its a common problem because the vectras suffer the same problem and if you put a code reader on it normally comes up with something else.if it is the ecu make sure you get the ecu /the chip in the key and the reader that sits around the ignition or it wont work.

silverswedemachine
Saturday 11th February 2012, 15:35
Thanks Smithy, thats not good!! Just had a word with my mate and he said the ECU as well, or possibly the TB going down... Either way its crap...

Also, will it continue doin this without problems or will it die at some point and not start??

streaky744
Sunday 12th February 2012, 21:59
very common problem do a search online place in bournemouth that recon your engine ecu for around a £100. no need to mess with keys etc etc. it will eventually cause misfire problems as it also controls fuel injectors.
have changed loads of these on astra and vectra's.

down side you have to send them your one and car be sat around for 7 days till it returns

or just px it and give someone else the headache

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

i have used these 5 times and can vouch for there high quality work.

viggen
Sunday 12th February 2012, 22:06
Hi do a google search my mate had to solder his ECU

merc85
Sunday 12th February 2012, 22:10
I belive there is a plastic imobilizer which attaches to the back of the ignition barrel.

Quite a comon one to pack up to.

smithy
Sunday 12th February 2012, 23:07
very common problem do a search online place in bournemouth that recon your engine ecu for around a £100. no need to mess with keys etc etc. it will eventually cause misfire problems as it also controls fuel injectors.
have changed loads of these on astra and vectra's.

down side you have to send them your one and car be sat around for 7 days till it returns

or just px it and give someone else the headache

http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/

i have used these 5 times and can vouch for there high quality work.

i used a guy in middlesborough he was good too just does vauxhall only .same problems as yours ecu sent and done no probs since.