PDA

View Full Version : S60r pcv

s_cowen
Thursday 9th February 2012, 22:42
Hi all
I am going to service the pcv system on my S60R soon, Has anyone done this on one of these models & anyone know of a decent how to guide & also how much should all the new parts cost, Thanks.

M-R-P
Thursday 9th February 2012, 22:58
Ok bud, mine's not an R but everything should be the same when it comes to the PCV.
First, take the airbox to turbo pipe off (theres one electrical connection to unplug and 3 (i think) hoses. the ptc nipple that the electrical connection goes to should be removed from the pipe and inspected. if this part is clean, then the PCV will be pretty clean too. the culprit will be the little banjo bolt on the inlet manifold, underneath the far left hand side (looking from the front) and is a real pig to get to.
Here's the thread from when I did mine...http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38240
hope this helps.

The work starts towards the bottom of page 1 ;) lots of waffle but some useful info.

s_cowen
Sunday 12th February 2012, 21:42
Ok bud, mine's not an R but everything should be the same when it comes to the PCV.
First, take the airbox to turbo pipe off (theres one electrical connection to unplug and 3 (i think) hoses. the ptc nipple that the electrical connection goes to should be removed from the pipe and inspected. if this part is clean, then the PCV will be pretty clean too. the culprit will be the little banjo bolt on the inlet manifold, underneath the far left hand side (looking from the front) and is a real pig to get to.
Here's the thread from when I did mine...http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38240
hope this helps.

The work starts towards the bottom of page 1 ;) lots of waffle but some useful info.

Thanks for the info mate.

s_cowen
Monday 13th February 2012, 18:40
Well I ordered the pcv kit from rufe today at an excellent price, decided to get a tcv aswell.
what a brilliant service he offers.

M-R-P
Monday 13th February 2012, 18:47
Nice. If you're doing it properly and taking the inlet manifold off, get yourself a few cans of carb cleaner and clean the manifold. If youre feeling brave, clean the inner workings of the throttle module. From what I've heard, its well worth it. Something i wish I'd done while doing my PCV but time was short.

s_cowen
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 23:11
well managed to strip down the engine today & fully cleaned out the inlet manifold & throttle body, just as I was finished a parcel van pulled up with my pcv kit & I must say it was absolutely great timing,

Also while I was on I changed the spark plugs, fuel & air filter, The pcv system actually wasn't that bad & the main culprit was the banjo bolt on the inlet manifold which was fully blocked up with oil & carbon, must of used around four tins of carb cleaner in the end, got it all back together & it fired up straight away & sounded smoother than ever, I let the engine warm up & then done the rubber glove test & yes all my hard work had payed off the glove didn't inflate like before it actually sucked straight in so I have my vacuum back.

Anyone thinking of doing this themselves should go ahead & give it a go as it really isn't that bad to do.:smile::smile::smile:

M-R-P
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 23:21
Glad it all went well. That banjo bolt is a troublesome little :):):):):):) aint it lol;)

s_cowen
Wednesday 15th February 2012, 23:40
Glad it all went well. That banjo bolt is a troublesome little :):):):):):) aint it lol;)

It most certainly is & thanks again for the brilliant advice as I would of probably not even of checked this banjo bolt & fitting the kit would of been a complete waste of time!;)

M-R-P
Thursday 16th February 2012, 00:03
Yep, had me stumped as my pcv was almost spotless and because i left the manifold on it was a pig to find too.
Happy days :)

s_cowen
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 15:55
Oh man what have I done!

While doing the pcv I must of mist a pipe or not put one on properly as now I have a major oil leak at at the front of the engine properly its all over the engine bay & even sprayed up onto the alternator, maybes it might be something to to with the dipstick or seal at he bottom as I remember having to move this to get the inlet off & the oil seems to be coming from this direction!

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 16:07
Most likely to be the dipstick oil seal but get a mirror and a torch and check the connections round the separator tank, in case one of the pipes has popped off.
Give it a clean up, top up the oil and get someone to rev it up while you watch it. It may not be that bad, a little oil goes a long way when airborne.

s_cowen
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 19:24
Thanks for the info hopefully it is just the dipstick seal & a hope the inlet manifold doesent have to come off again!

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st February 2012, 19:36
I've proved that the inlet mani doesnt need to come off. Just remove the i/c to throttle pipe and maybe the rad fan (i have forearms like popeye and got to the catchtank without removing the rad fan) you'll be fine, i always suspect the worst when I have a problem after repairs, just wait till you do something and forget to tighten a charge air pipe - bwaaaaarrrr-POP-chugchugchug! Crapped myself first time lol. Dipstick seal first, after a cleanup, then chase the pcv. If you need any help, feel free to ask ;)

s_cowen
Sunday 26th February 2012, 00:06
Result!

Found out why the oil was leaking today, It ended up being a loose pipe from the block to the PCV catch tank I didn't fully tighten the clip & the pressure must of poped it off spraying about 3 litres of oil everywhere, it tuck about 3 hours to clean the oil from the engine & pipes, managed to do it without taking the inlet manifold back off & only removing the airbox & throttle body pipe, :smile: :smile: :smile:

s_cowen
Sunday 26th February 2012, 00:09
Must also add its nice to have the R back on the road as was running around in my girlfriends 1.2 fiesta LOL! It's nice to have a bit power under my right foot again :smile::smile::smile:

M-R-P
Sunday 26th February 2012, 07:28
Glad its all sorted bud. I ditched the standard clips from mine and used industrial jubilee clips.
Nice to have the power and noise back ;) it must have been hell.