PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Replacement

alex1985blue
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 12:58
Hey Chaps,

I had my car MOtd today and it failed on a cracked headlight.

Does anyone have a guide on how to replace the headlight?

Is it a bumper off job?

I am guessing that the headlight wiper arm has to come off, then the plastic trim under the headlight.

Cheers

Alex

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 13:07
You should be able to get a replacement glass for it. There are clips around the lamp unit which holds the glass on, so you will need to remove the trim (just clipped on) and wiperarm under the headlight to get to the bottom ones and the indicator lamp to get to the side ones. The glass isn't glued to the unit, just uses a rubber seal, it might need a little prying to get it off as it will stick to the seal after so many years.

You wont need to remove the bumper.

If you want to remove the complete headlight there are three bolts in the engine bay (two near the wing and one near the radiator) just undo them and wiggle the unit free.

alex1985blue
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 13:10
You should be able to get a replacement glass for it. There are clips around the lamp unit which holds the glass on, so you will need to remove the trim and wiperarm under the headlight to get to the bottom ones and the indicator lamp to get to the side ones.

Just spoke to Volvo. They want £60 for the glass on its own or I can buy a second hand unit for around £30. Problem is all the second hand units are miles from me.

Cheers

Alex

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 13:14
Parts for Volvo do a replacement glass for £30 (i'm taking a guess at near side headlight?)

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=515_606&products_id=3550

alex1985blue
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 17:23
Thankyou for the advice. I managed to pick up a headlight today for £10 and I am just going to replace the glass. Problem solved.

Cheers

GreenMachine
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 17:23
There are clips around the lamp unit which holds the glass on

Is this the same on P2's as well? - somehow a fly has managed to get into one of mine

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 18:01
Thankyou for the advice. I managed to pick up a headlight today for £10 and I am just going to replace the glass. Problem solved.

Cheers
Excellent, top price too!

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 18:02
Is this the same on P2's as well? - somehow a fly has managed to get into one of mine
Not sure buddy, I have never worked on a P2 I'm afraid.

alex1985blue
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 18:24

From looking at the pic of this headlight for a v70 on ebay I think the glass is attached by clips like the 850 so you should be able to take the clips off and remove the glass.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-V70-S70-C70-Passenger-Side-Headlight-Nearside-complete-unit-/130634679410?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6a6f0472

alex1985blue
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 18:26
Excellent, top price too!

Just need to fit it now. Glass came of the doner headlight no problems, Bet it wont be the same story getting it back on.

Cheers

smithson007
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 18:49

When i changed a headlight on my old S60 i had to drop the front bumper and it was still a pain to change.