PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a DEM

Hunter
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 08:23
Looking for a DEM for my 2004 S60R - part number is 5WP22201.

Would prefer not to pay what Volvo want for a new one! ;)

Thanks in advance,
Brian

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 10:41
Do you mean DIM? (Drivers Information Module - Speedo)
If so, the chances of a second hand one working are worse than slim. You can however get the one you have re - done. This is a situation I have been in and there's a good chance that a repair costing 35 quid will solve the problem.
Happy to go into more detail if it is the DIM you're having trouble with.

Martin.

Hunter
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 12:34
No, Martin, it's the Differential Electronic Module, the Haldex unit on the rear axle.

I've tried the usual routes - BBA-Reman, who tried to repair it but couldn't, and don't have any others; local scrapyard who have a rear axle from an XC90 but the DEM is different and doesn't work in the S60R; still waiting to hear back from 1st Choice Spares.

Cheers,
Brian

p fandango
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 12:45
No, Martin, it's the Differential Electronic Module, the Haldex unit on the rear axle.

I've tried the usual routes - BBA-Reman, who tried to repair it but couldn't, and don't have any others; local scrapyard who have a rear axle from an XC90 but the DEM is different and doesn't work in the S60R; still waiting to hear back from 1st Choice Spares.

Cheers,
Brian
Hi Brian, i'm sure Santa's had this go on his S60R (surprise surprise). If you drop him a PM i'm sure he'll tell you where he got his from

don't you love all the DIM, DEM, CEM abbrieviations

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 13:33
oh, that sounds more expensive than a DIM lol

p fandango
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 13:48
oh, that sounds more expensive than a DIM lol
& bolted underneath the car, well done Volvo :B_thumb: lol

Hunter
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 14:53
& bolted underneath the car, well done Volvo :B_thumb: lol

Handily exposed to all the road muck, slush, snow, exhaust heat ... I'm amazed it's lasted this long!

p fandango
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 15:01
Handily exposed to all the road muck, slush, snow, exhaust heat ... I'm amazed it's lasted this long!
as long as it lasts till the warranty runs out then their happy

Hunter
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:09
as long as it lasts till the warranty runs out then their happy

It's just another thing on the long list of things that have failed on this car :( I think the only major component/s I've not replaced yet is the suspension, and the gearbox. Gotta just be a matter of time ... ;)

Hunter
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:19
Hi Brian, i'm sure Santa's had this go on his S60R (surprise surprise). If you drop him a PM i'm sure he'll tell you where he got his from

don't you love all the DIM, DEM, CEM abbrieviations

I've sent him a PM. Thanks for the info :)

p fandango
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:22
I've sent him a PM. Thanks for the info :)
no problem sir. Seems to be a bit of a pattern with problematic S60R's, never seem much hassle with V70R's tho which considering there the same is weird

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:22
It's just another thing on the long list of things that have failed on this car :( I think the only major component/s I've not replaced yet is the suspension, and the gearbox. Gotta just be a matter of time ... ;)

Just wait till your DIM lets go...

p fandango
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:23
you know how to cheer someone up Martin lol

Hunter
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:28

I can live without a speedo ;) ... unless a DIM failure also sends a spike up through the driver's seat which, to be honest, might be a welcome release! ;)

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:28
you know how to cheer someone up Martin lol

lol, luckily, they sorted the DIMs after 2003. Good thing really (not for me though :()

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:34
I can live without a speedo ;) ... unless a DIM failure also sends a spike up through the driver's seat which, to be honest, might be a welcome release! ;)

PMFSL! Unless you're unlucky enough to have a really early 2004 model with a 1999 - 2003 DIM you'll be fine. Here's a thread I started a while ago...
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37519
The first few pages get my point across, the rest is just ranting and moaning ;)
Needless to say, the car owes us far too much to give up on it now, hence all the extra money I've thrown at it.
You're not alone, P2s can be a money pit but for the few months between fixing one thing and another dropping off it, they are an absolute joy to drive.
Mine cleared 185k last weekend, not bad for an '03 plate ;)

Hunter
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 16:48
Mine cleared 185k last weekend, not bad for an '03 plate ;)

Hah! Mine has only done 72k miles, but is on its 3rd(!) engine. Mind, this one's not going to break - i've had it built by a racecar engine builder who has guaranteed it :D to 500bhp (nowhere near that at the mo') - the cylinder sleeves are 10mm thick at the top! I like driving it, but it's been laid up for 24 of the 49 months I've owned it. Still, keeps the mileage down :)

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 17:13
Jeez, you could have bought 2 engines to start with, put one in the back and have 600bhp and a reliable 4wd system lol

Hunter
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 18:20
Jeez, you could have bought 2 engines to start with, put one in the back and have 600bhp and a reliable 4wd system lol

I don't understand your use of the word "reliable" ;)

I do have another engine, albeit with a split liner, but nothing another £4k couldn't fix ... :(

local-looney
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 18:29

christ martin,every time i read your comments with the words "DIM" in it,i am starting to get scared!!!!
maybe i shoulod have bought a cortina!!!!!

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 19:18
christ martin,every time i read your comments with the words "DIM" in it,i am starting to get scared!!!!
maybe i shoulod have bought a cortina!!!!!

Don't worry Shane, all the S80 DIMs I played with have a different board layout, although they look the same on the outside. If yours has chrome rings round the dials, it may have already been replaced :)

local-looney
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 19:22
Don't worry Shane, all the S80 DIMs I played with have a different board layout, although they look the same on the outside. If yours has chrome rings round the dials, it may have already been replaced :)

er.....no!!
but having read various threads,im taking it,im doomed!!!!!
when the dim starts playing up,what exactly happens?
is it the whole instrument cluster that has to come out?
what part on it plays silly b*****s?

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 19:23
So as we dont clutter this thread, ill pm you. ;)

Hunter
Thursday 15th March 2012, 21:06
Well, after scouring the planet looking for a second-hand unit, then discovering in conversation with a Swedish parts broker that the units are coded to the model AND year of the car, and that they're not reprogrammable :( I had to bite the bullet and shell out for a new exchange unit from Volvo. Now fitted, I have on the dash display a message that's rarer than a rare thing with added rareness ... :)

Harvey
Saturday 7th April 2012, 19:12
Hi did you get the heatsheld mod for the dem unit it's from the awd s80 ,Volvo uk no longer supply as they say it's not needed !.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aldebaran-weblog/sets/72157625207919009
If you have a bigger exhaust it can cook unit.

Hunter
Saturday 28th April 2012, 16:42
Hi did you get the heatsheld mod for the dem unit it's from the awd s80 ,Volvo uk no longer supply as they say it's not needed !.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aldebaran-weblog/sets/72157625207919009
If you have a bigger exhaust it can cook unit.

I've had the exhaust below the DEM wrapped with heat-shield insulation. Bit of a moot point at present though as the car has been with the Volvo dealer for the best part of 5 weeks whilst they try to identify a CAN Bus problem possibly created by the new DEM :(

Harvey
Saturday 28th April 2012, 16:47
Wow that's a long time even for the main dealer.

Hunter
Saturday 28th April 2012, 20:45
Wow that's a long time even for the main dealer.

Yep. Beginning to forget what the car looks like ;) Seriously thinking about just getting it back from the dealer and breaking it - got some very good points :) including a brand new (!) DEM, angle gear replaced, newly-rebuilt engine with custom (very strong) liners, etc., etc. ...

Make me an offer :D

Dream3r
Saturday 28th April 2012, 22:53
Interested in the Engine!!

Seriously, what CANBUS issues are you having? I'm sure we might be able to help somehow, even if it means speaking to MRG or knowledgeable members.

The DEM is on the low speed network so that is a starting point I suppose. Volvo can also log the CANBUS network to memory card by using their DiCE.

The dealer should have access to 'Volvo technical' or similar as well.

Five weeks is a long time, is it at Clelands? They seemed quite on the ball when I was there.

Hunter
Sunday 29th April 2012, 12:04
Had the new DEM supplied by Murray Volvo in Edinburgh. Fitted by my mate who has been looking after my cars for years. AWD worked immediately with no errors (see 15th March post above) but, 1 day later, slowing down for a car in front to turn right, the following happened:

Check engine light came on, followed by handbrake light. Error message 'chassis settings service required' then 'brake failure stop safely' (gotta laugh at the irony of that message). Speedo, tacho and temp gauge zeroed, fuel gauge stayed up. 4C lights went out and couldn't be activated. DSTC couldn't be deactivated (light on but couldn't be switched off).

Car still drove fine, no issues at all. If it hadn't been for the lack of speedo, I'd have been tempted to drive it for a bit longer, although the 'brake failure' warning was a bit disconcerting.

Ran car back to my mate's garage, explained it all to him. He connected his computer and reset all the lights and errors. Took a bit of persuasion to reset the 'check engine' light though. Can't remember the errors stored at that time, sorry. Decided that the new DEM might be faulty so refitted the old (definitely faulty) one and all the error messages disappeared. Ran it for a day with no errors. Ran it up to Murray Volvo who fitted the new DEM, got the errors and couldn't reset all of them. Apparently updated some software on the car, still couldn't reset the errors, blamed the map that the car's running (which it has been running for the past six years) and gave the car back in a worse state - really difficult to start - could take a minute or more to get it to fire up whereas it had always been immediate before.

Mate called Murray back, not happy with diagnosis, spoke to Master Tech and explained that the map was not to blame, took car back to them on Tuesday, 27th March, where it has been since then.

In the meantime, I'm plodding around in a BMW 330D which is OK but not my choice of car. Just got my VR-4 through its MOT so may run that instead of the Beemer. Pretty fed up with my Volvo now, and with Volvo in general, hence the thought about just giving up on it, getting it back and breaking it. It has been the most fragile car I've ever owned. Having recently spent £7.5k on it, though, it's not a decision made lightly.

So, yes, any suggestions would be most welcome, failing which any offers may be given serious consideration. First choice would be to have car fixed so i can use it as a track car, failing which I'd prefer to sell it as an entire unit as I don't have the facilities to break it and have bits of car lying around.

Dream3r
Sunday 29th April 2012, 18:06
Presuming the DEM is ok my first thought was DEM red herring and a wet CEM, what year is it? Some of the facelifts suffered from the CEM getting wet and causing all sorts of chaos.

Second thought was battery but I guess that two mechanics and garages would have checked that.

Third idea is that the DEM is on the high speed CANBUS side, 500kbps on the facelifts, it would be interesting if all of the logged codes originate on the high speed side? Top of my head the HS ECU'S are, DEM SUM ETM ECM BCM SWM and SAS. If they are check all pins on the CEM for corrosion as they can get wet and also check their wiring as per VIDA for shorts, earth faults, continuity etc.

Fourth idea, and it's a bad one is to fit your new DEM to another compatible 'R' and see the results, I would offer my car if I knew that there would be no complications??

Fifth idea is not get a copy of the error codes the new DEM produces and post them up for, and forgive the pun, a 'differential'!

Hunter
Sunday 29th April 2012, 21:36
1. Yes, I read about the CEM issues with the 2005> cars. Mine is a 2003 though.

2. Battery is fine, no issues with that.

3. Will pass on that info, thanks.

4. Thanks, but I don't think the new DEM is now the issue. Errors have shown up with the old DEM in place so it is likely to be (yet) another failure and just coincidental that it occurred at the same time that the new DEM was fitted.

5. I'll see if I can get the error codes and will post if I get anything new.

Thanks again,
Brian

Dream3r
Monday 30th April 2012, 23:17
Cool, facelifts were sold in 04 as MY2005 but your's cant be if it's an 03.

My completely crystal ball opinion, Volvo stealer will want to try a new CEM....

Hunter
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 05:49
Cool, facelifts were sold in 04 as MY2005 but your's cant be if it's an 03.

My completely crystal ball opinion, Volvo stealer will want to try a new CEM....

They're taking their sweet time getting round to it then ... ;) but, if a new CEM fixes the problem, it would have to be done. I'll keep you posted.

Yosser
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 08:05
They're taking their sweet time getting round to it then ...

Well, it's just sat in the top car park doing nothing at the moment.....

Hunter
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 13:35
Well, it's just sat in the top car park doing nothing at the moment.....

You sound like a man in the know ... ;)

Yosser
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 13:41
You sound like a man in the know ... ;)

I was there yesterday to get a new remote programmed for the D5 - even that was a drama, they crashed their computer (and my cars) last week when they tried the same job.

So, if it takes a week to work out how to program a keyfob I think you may have some time left to serve.....

Hunter
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 13:47
So, if it takes a week to work out how to program a keyfob I think you may have some time left to serve.....

Oh dear, it's pretty disheartening when the supposed experts don't have a clue :(

Hunter
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 14:55
Mate has just spoken to the Volvo tech. They're still trying to find the problem and reckon it may be an incompatibility between the latest software on the new DEM and the other software that the car runs (I've never had any software updates in the 4+ years I've owned it, and don't know if the previous owner would ever have had software updated either). They've been reticent to download all the latest software to the car because I reckoned it was running some kind of map and didn't want that overwritten. However, the tech has discovered that it's actually got a soldered Superchip which should be unaffected by any software download so is away to update all the software on the car. After that, they'll run it daily (as they say they have been doing for some time) to see if it faults again. I may end up running it for a while again as, apparently, it only faults on longer runs. Here's hoping ... :)

Harvey
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 17:53
Hi just to add when I took my car into Volvo for a new key they upset the oncall system which took a bit to reset it.
The last up date was done in feb this year,also had a update/gearbox software update done on November last year .

Hunter
Friday 18th May 2012, 14:57
Well, the car is back on the road, and running error-free! :D Great credit to the Master Tech at Murray Volvo in Edinburgh for his tenacity and dedication to finding a resolution to the problem that was puzzling them for weeks. Apart from the odd errors and warning messages noted in my post above, Volvo's diagnostics were throwing up errors that they had never seen before - steering wheel angle sensor, brake pressure sensor, etc. - none of which made any sense to them. However, it appears that the errors were caused by software incompatibilities and, once resolved, everything is running cleanly and error-free. Yea!

It's nice to have it back :)

Yosser
Friday 18th May 2012, 14:59
Good news.

Credit to you for your patience!

Harvey
Friday 18th May 2012, 17:02
At long last did wonder if you had it back on the road.
Bet it's nice to have it running again ,good news all round.