PDA

View Full Version : Turbo conversion kits + exhaust

T5Tom
Monday 6th February 2012, 11:15
Has anyone ever tried one of the Chinese 19t conversion kits off eBay, or one of the chinese td04hl 19t claiming to be made by mitsubishi?

Also does anyone have a straight through exhaust i can buy for my t5?

Cheers

jayeastanglia
Monday 6th February 2012, 13:58
ebay link for the turbo?

T5Tom
Monday 6th February 2012, 14:06
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Compressor-kit-Upgrade-SAAB-TD04-TD04HL-19T-/290657756965?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ac8d6725

That's the conversion kit

zoidberg
Monday 6th February 2012, 16:22
Personally I'd stay away from them.Nochance of just nipping round to have a word if things go wrong. I cant find the post on another site about one of these chewing up the insides of his turbo, so it would have been cheaper and easier to have gone to a reputable builder in this country.

T5Tom
Monday 6th February 2012, 16:43
The actuator looks pretty gash too, good point i suppose theres no comebacks is there.

Can you actually buy the 19t or is it only achieved by conversion?

Yosser
Monday 6th February 2012, 17:31
Can you actually buy the 19t or is it only achieved by conversion?

Yes, the 19T is out there and available as a complete unit. They do turn up for sale now and then - for example: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143320

Someone on here (Niles?) recently had a bad experience with one of these kits off ebay, so tread carefully.

Jamest5r
Monday 6th February 2012, 18:34
Yes, the 19T is out there and available as a complete unit. They do turn up for sale now and then - for example: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143320

Someone on here (Niles?) recently had a bad experience with one of these kits off ebay, so tread carefully.

Be very careful mate, some have had problems...http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40241&highlight=niles

T5Tom
Monday 6th February 2012, 18:57
Wow thanks I don't think ill be buying one of those then!!

T5Tom
Monday 6th February 2012, 19:23

Made him an offer, he's advertised it as a td04 19t, is this the same as a td04hl 19t?

Jamest5r
Monday 6th February 2012, 19:31
I would ask the history of that turbo mate as the compressor side looks like new?? and the exhaust is well used, more to it than meets the eye me thinks.

Kingsford G
Monday 6th February 2012, 19:35
Yep.Niles had a problem wiv his one so I`d stay away.Buy one local for money but reputable seller.

Niles
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 08:34
ok, mines sorted now. the 19T conversion is done BUT........they say its a straight swap. 100% is is NOT!! the core housing needs machining. the centre core has a 57mm recess to fit the 16t wheel into. The 19t wheel is 58mm so the recess needs to be 59mm. If you have a 15g you will need the centre core bored from 57-59mm and also you need a turbo rebuild kit to convert the 15g (flatback) to the later T series (superback). Also, I strongly VERY STRONGLY recommend you go to ebay and enter item number 390159274088 its from turbo rebuild.co.uk and buy a 'race stepped snap oil seal' and use that instead of the snap ring you get in the rebuild kit.
The turbo seller was not very helpful at all and the kit cost £130 for the housing and wheel, £25 for machining, £40 for rebuild kit £ 14.50 for the snap ring.
Basically, if you do all the labour yourself you're looking at £210+.

Caused me all sorts of problems but its done now.

Now I know exactly what needs doing I would do it again but the seller of the parts was ZERO help.

T5Tom
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 12:28
ok, mines sorted now. the 19T conversion is done BUT........they say its a straight swap. 100% is is NOT!! the core housing needs machining. the centre core has a 57mm recess to fit the 16t wheel into. The 19t wheel is 58mm so the recess needs to be 59mm. If you have a 15g you will need the centre core bored from 57-59mm and also you need a turbo rebuild kit to convert the 15g (flatback) to the later T series (superback). Also, I strongly VERY STRONGLY recommend you go to ebay and enter item number 390159274088 its from turbo rebuild.co.uk and buy a 'race stepped snap oil seal' and use that instead of the snap ring you get in the rebuild kit.
The turbo seller was not very helpful at all and the kit cost £130 for the housing and wheel, £25 for machining, £40 for rebuild kit £ 14.50 for the snap ring.
Basically, if you do all the labour yourself you're looking at £210+.

Caused me all sorts of problems but its done now.

Now I know exactly what needs doing I would do it again but the seller of the parts was ZERO help.

Glad everythings ok with the motor now bud!

So the kit is up and running now then? Is there a big noticeable difference? As i am an engineer and i work with lathes on a daily basis so the machining isn't a problem, I suspect it wouldnt have been for yourself either had you have known it needed doing in the first place! It wouldnt have harmed them to tell you!

Did you have the unit balanced afterwards?

I reckon I would want to keep the exhaust side the same if possible which I suppose would turn it into a hybrid, what is the difference between the t's and the g's then?

T5Tom
Saturday 11th February 2012, 21:54
Im going ahead and trying one of these kits out, got hold of another 15g to convert and make a blanking plate for so its just (hopefully) a straight swap! But they offer a 0.5bar and a 0.8bar actuator, which would be the best to go for? or should i just use my origional actuator?