PDA

View Full Version : S60R air filter

s_cowen
Sunday 5th February 2012, 13:33
Ok just bought the S60R & going to give it a good service & just wondered while I am on if it would be a good idea to replace the standard filter to a K&N pannel filter or simalar, just hoping it won't give the car any problems like check engine Light ect thanks!

dtp
Sunday 5th February 2012, 15:24
The stadard air filter is ok upto 500 bhp I would not use anthing else. The trouble with after market filters where you clean them then put oil on, the oil (if over applied) can be sucked into the MAF and contaminate the sensor.

Al115
Sunday 5th February 2012, 16:54
The standard filter is already uprated on the Rs, it's a cylinder-like affair. Should be more than fine.

s_cowen
Sunday 5th February 2012, 17:02
OK thanks looks like I will just get the standard one.

Al115
Sunday 5th February 2012, 17:47
Unless you have some spare cash, in which case the Evolve AMS is apparently really nice! I haven't myself but others on here have fitted it to good effect. It's a few hundred quid's worth of cold-air intake and filter.

volvokid
Sunday 5th February 2012, 17:51
Ive got the one Al talks about, but dont know were he gets the "good effects " bit from lol, its off my car until i can get it to run with it properly. Take a look in my garage pictures and you will see it, it sounds amazing btw

Harvey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:42
question what type of air filter is best for you engine / air mass meter
Paper,foam, K-N type looking around there are Good & bad points for them all.

volvokid
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:46
Non oiled ones are going to be the best for your MAF

LeeT5
Saturday 28th April 2012, 09:00
I have the AMS system installed on mine. I bought it from Elevate. WHen i ordered it they had run out of the normal red filter that you oil so they sent me a stainless steel race filter instead! :biggrin:

No need to oil mine so i don't suffer with MAF contamination. For the record, the AMS system runs fine on my car with standard map and BSR stage II map.

Looks the nuts and sounds the dogs with the bonnet insulation off!

Santa
Saturday 28th April 2012, 16:49
I have the AMS system installed on mine. I bought it from Elevate. WHen i ordered it they had run out of the normal red filter that you oil so they sent me a stainless steel race filter instead! :biggrin:

No need to oil mine so i don't suffer with MAF contamination. For the record, the AMS system runs fine on my car with standard map and BSR stage II map.

Looks the nuts and sounds the dogs with the bonnet insulation off!

I have to agree Lee, I don't run mine on standard map that often but haven't had an issue with the AMS. Not sure if you get any benefit of the AMS without a remap or other hardware upgrades though.

I also have the stainless steal air filter. Volvokid, were you using the red paper filter?

volvokid
Saturday 28th April 2012, 16:52
I have to agree Lee, I don't run mine on standard map that often but haven't had an issue with the AMS. Not sure if you get any benefit of the AMS without a remap or other hardware upgrades though.

I also have the stainless steal air filter. Volvokid, were you using the red paper filter?

No I had the blue IPD one to start with now I have the stainless one from Elevate. Least I know there is another R with a AMS running fine! I wonder what up with my car .....

Santa
Saturday 28th April 2012, 16:58
No I had the blue IPD one to start with now I have the stainless one from Elevate. Least I know there is another R with a AMS running fine! I wonder what up with my car .....

Pop it on, Italian tune up and see how it goes?

volvokid
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:02
Pop it on, Italian tune up and see how it goes?

Huh I dont speak Italian..... lol what is that

Santa
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:07
Huh I dont speak Italian..... lol what is that

Italian tuning = Rag the §§§§§§§§ off it.

volvokid
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:09
Haha im not aloud to do that, it will break

Harvey
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:10
Still thinking about this mod

Santa
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:16
Haha im not aloud to do that, it will break

If it breaks it needed replacing anyway :-p

Santa
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:17
Still thinking about this mod

Looks good in the engine bay :-)

volvokid
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:17
If it breaks it needed replacing anyway :-p

I cant say I like this way of thinking, your not suppose to enjoy driving these things you know

Santa
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:32
I cant say I like this way of thinking, your not suppose to enjoy driving these things you know

You are supposed to enjoy the 15 minutes a year the car fully works!

LiamT4
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:37

You are supposed to enjoy the 15 minutes a year the car fully works!

Come on, there not that unreliable.:lol:

volvokid
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:39
I dont like saying this, but I will the only real problem I have had in 7 months was to change the front shocks. Okay I know I have just ruined my fault free motoring, when I get home and go out to the car in the garage it will have kicked its alloys off in a huff with me.

Santa
Saturday 28th April 2012, 17:57
Not driving these causes issues as well........get driving it and show it who's boss lol

volvokid
Saturday 28th April 2012, 18:01
Not driving these causes issues as well........get driving it and show it who's boss lol

I drive this car quite a lot actually, When its my week to drive the V40 into work Adrienne needs to use the R. Plus I drive it most weekends. It doesnt half guzzle fuel though so sometimes the temptation to save money takes over and the boring car gets used, 9 x of 10 I have the family in the car so I dont get to open it up, but thats not a bad thing I suppose its saving it from breaking on me :)

LeeT5
Thursday 3rd May 2012, 22:46
I drive this car quite a lot actually, When its my week to drive the V40 into work Adrienne needs to use the R. Plus I drive it most weekends. It doesnt half guzzle fuel though so sometimes the temptation to save money takes over and the boring car gets used, 9 x of 10 I have the family in the car so I dont get to open it up, but thats not a bad thing I suppose its saving it from breaking on me :)

What? You let yer missus drive the R? :jaw:Are you mental??:scared:
Women and Peg's don't mix....FACT!!

Jimmie
Thursday 3rd May 2012, 22:51
What? You let yer missus drive the R? :jaw:Are you mental??:scared:
Women and Peg's don't mix....FACT!!

No he likes her better than the car.
She is probably a better driver than him anyway.

LeeT5
Thursday 3rd May 2012, 22:54
BTW Martyn, i have put the bonnet sound proofing back on. For the following reasons:

1) It's £159 to replace
2) The AMS does not seal against the bonnet and therefore sucks in heat from the engine bay
3) I personally thought the Induction noise sounded abit CHAV
4) I prefer the sound of my new custom exhaust, especially on WOT. Holy cow does she WOOSHHH!!!!!!!
5) On a long journey the constant turbo whine and repetative induction noise would get on my nerves.

I am thinking about maybe cutting a hole that allows the AMS to still seal against the soundproofing, therefore, not allowing hot air into it whilst still allowing some of the induction noise to escape through the thin skin of the bonnet. I would use double sided tape to hold the sound proofing against the bonnet around the edges.

Worth a pop i think....

Sharkey R
Thursday 23rd August 2012, 17:58
I've just removed the sound proofing to see for myself what everyone is talking about and I just love hearing the turbo spool up and then the recirc valve. I've got a pipercross replacement element filter and have removed the lid on the air box. Sounds awesome. Can see it affecting my fuel consumption a tad though ;-p

loopyr
Thursday 30th August 2012, 08:33
iv got a s60 r i put ipd induction kit on make a diffrence too and sound and looks dam good