PDA

View Full Version : The new R.

s_cowen
Saturday 4th February 2012, 17:59
Well decided to go & take a look at the S60R yesterday & after about an hour of inspecting, Thinking & more inspecting decided to take it home with me.

Here she is sitting on my drive,
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4748/img0165pqf.jpg
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7507/img0162eh.jpg

The drive home from Halifax to Nothumberland was amazing & cant believe the difference in the R performance from my 2.4ts.

The car had an excellent service history & a filing Cabernet full of receipts
From new shocks to angle gear & steering sensors replaced & a £590 Rica 340bhp/460nm ecu upgrade there has been a small fortune spent! The only thing that worried me about the car was that there was no proof of a timing belt change so I made this clear to the seller & he Knocked a further £200 quid off, so it will be going for a full service & T-Belt kit this week.

Had a good check over the car & history before I decided to buy it, no oil/water leaks,worn faulty suspension or warning lights,clutch not slipping & bite where it should be & AWD,Active chassis working spot on & must say the handling is unreal I tried the advanced setting on the smooth motorway & i must say it wasn't smooth motorway any more could feel every bump & cranny lol!

local-looney
Saturday 4th February 2012, 18:11
very nice!!

rikcougar
Saturday 4th February 2012, 18:23
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice with a capital N

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 4th February 2012, 18:27
Assume you paid for it? LOL

Looks quite evil. Are you coming to Cadwell park with it?

M-R-P
Saturday 4th February 2012, 18:35
Is that the one that was on expolicecars.co.uk?
Looks like a naughty little road weapon ;)

AndysR
Saturday 4th February 2012, 18:41
Nice, good to hear it's all sound :)

Sounds like a bargin has been had after all then ;)

WOODY T5
Saturday 4th February 2012, 18:45
looks nice well done mate

graemewelch
Saturday 4th February 2012, 19:06
hope to see it at a future north east meet

Bigrobv70
Saturday 4th February 2012, 19:14
very nice

Rob

Santa
Saturday 4th February 2012, 20:02
Welcome to Phase2 R ownership :-)

t5_monkey
Saturday 4th February 2012, 21:55
everyone knows white on black is better than black on black :) *cough*

Looks proper smart mind!

foammanmark
Saturday 4th February 2012, 22:20
That's a wicked looking car, in a good way. Hope it goes well for you!

t5 pete
Saturday 4th February 2012, 22:21
Very nice

LiamT4
Saturday 4th February 2012, 22:25
Looks very aggressive, nice.

s_cowen
Sunday 5th February 2012, 12:14
Thanks for all the good comments & yes it was the one off the expolicecars website,
The lad didn't seem to know anything about the S60Rs didn't even know what the comfort,sport,advanced settings where for lol

I give him £3300 for it, on my drive home I left with 99850 on the clock & it was heart breaking watching it click to 100k on my first drive, then I thought to myself, well what the hell it's a Volvo lol!

The only problems I have found with the car is the odd small scratches on body but thers not many, a small hole in the blue leather drivers seat & some goon has taken the R badges from the grille & boot but luckily found the one for the boot in the glovebox so that'll be going back on today!

Anyone know where to by the new grille badges from thanks?

smithson007
Sunday 5th February 2012, 12:16
Looks very nice mate. Hopefully see it in the flesh at a meet sometime.

volvokid
Sunday 5th February 2012, 12:18
Email rufe regarding thr badge.
big difference from ur old baby isnt it

M-R-P
Sunday 5th February 2012, 12:22
Thanks for all the good comments & yes it was the one off the expolicecars website,
The lad didn't seem to know anything about the S60Rs didn't even know what the comfort,sport,advanced settings where for lol

I give him £3300 for it, on my drive home I left with 99850 on the clock & it was heart breaking watching it click to 100k on my first drive, then I thought to myself, well what the hell it's a Volvo lol!

The only problems I have found with the car is the odd small scratches on body but thers not many, a small hole in the blue leather drivers seat & some goon has taken the R badges from the grille & boot but luckily found the one for the boot in the glovebox so that'll be going back on today!

Anyone know where to by the new grille badges from thanks?

I thought it looked familiar! they've had it for a while. If I knew it had all that work done, I'd have made more of a fuss about it on the forum. Still, looks like you got yourself a good'n. There's a few R badges on the bay of e, but there's probably someone on here with one :)

Enjoy:)

volvokid
Sunday 5th February 2012, 12:29
I thought it looked familiar! they've had it for a while. If I knew it had all that work done, I'd have made more of a fuss about it on the forum. Still, looks like you got yourself a good'n. There's a few R badges on the bay of e, but there's probably someone on here with one :)

Enjoy:)

Your probably cheaper buying the badges from rufe, eBay's quite funny that way

Jimmie
Sunday 5th February 2012, 12:49
The badges for the grill have legs on them therefore slightly different from the tail ones.
Get the genuine article.

GregE102
Sunday 5th February 2012, 12:49
Very Nice! Congratulations!

s_cowen
Sunday 5th February 2012, 13:21
Email rufe regarding thr badge.
big difference from ur old baby isnt it

Thanks for the info I will drop the guy a p.m, is it best to buy genuine cam belts from this guy aswell & yes it's a totally different monster from the old car.

volvokid
Sunday 5th February 2012, 13:28
Thanks for the info I will drop the guy a p.m, is it best to buy genuine cam belts from this guy aswell & yes it's a totally different monster from the old car.

Yes if your going genuine go to rufe he is the best by far, i dont even bother shopping around now

s_cowen
Sunday 5th February 2012, 13:35
Yes if your going genuine go to rufe he is the best by far, i dont even bother shopping around now

Ok thanks for that.

T5frankie
Sunday 5th February 2012, 13:47
lovely motor mate well done

martybelfastt5
Sunday 5th February 2012, 15:09
congrats mate hope she treats you well,

LeeT5
Monday 6th February 2012, 00:45
Welcome to the P2 R club!

When she's having the cambelt service done, insist that the water pump is replaced. There not expensive and will save you a small fortune later on.

Regards badges, buy only from the dealer. They come with special sticky windows already attached that makes them very easy to place in the correct spot.

Also, whilst at the dealer, have them check the cars SUM for the latest software. If its out of date, get it updated and recalibrated. Trust me, it makes a world of difference.

s_cowen
Monday 6th February 2012, 22:16
Welcome to the P2 R club!

When she's having the cambelt service done, insist that the water pump is replaced. There not expensive and will save you a small fortune later on.

Regards badges, buy only from the dealer. They come with special sticky windows already attached that makes them very easy to place in the correct spot.

Also, whilst at the dealer, have them check the cars SUM for the latest software. If its out of date, get it updated and recalibrated. Trust me, it makes a world of difference.

Hi & thanks for the info, What is the SUM if I may ask?

volvokid
Monday 6th February 2012, 23:12

Lee im sure will explain it better than me, but its what makes your shocks do all its fancy things :^)
Maybe look into getting a DICE and VIDA these cars are all about the SW and it could save you a fortune in the long run with paying dealer prices all the time when theres no real need

LeeT5
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 13:53

SUM = SUspension Module.

Its the ECU for controlling shock absorber movement in relation to various other sensors on the car, including Steering, Yaw, Squat, DSTC....

When the first S60R/V70Rs rolled out the factory the biggest complait was the suspension was to harsh and very crashy, making for an unpleasant and skittish ride, especially on the V70R. Since 2003 there have been 3 software updates in relation to SUM. By far the biggest single cheap i have done to my car is have the latest software and a full SUM calibration. The difference was instantly noticeable and the ride massively improved. The car felt smoother, less harsh in Comfort and sport and vastly improved the 'side hop' that V70Rs suffer with. The S60R will also suffer from the side hop thou its less noticeable because theres less weight over the rear axle.

Too save you money and from doing the recalibration twice, make sure you replace any worn bushes, shocks before the SUM calibration. Else it will have to be done again.

The calibration will also correct your headlamp alighnment in relation to the ride height sensors at the rear of the car.

t5_monkey
Wednesday 7th March 2012, 14:34
SUM = SUspension Module.

Its the ECU for controlling shock absorber movement in relation to various other sensors on the car, including Steering, Yaw, Squat, DSTC....

When the first S60R/V70Rs rolled out the factory the biggest complait was the suspension was to harsh and very crashy, making for an unpleasant and skittish ride, especially on the V70R. Since 2003 there have been 3 software updates in relation to SUM. By far the biggest single cheap i have done to my car is have the latest software and a full SUM calibration. The difference was instantly noticeable and the ride massively improved. The car felt smoother, less harsh in Comfort and sport and vastly improved the 'side hop' that V70Rs suffer with. The S60R will also suffer from the side hop thou its less noticeable because theres less weight over the rear axle.

Too save you money and from doing the recalibration twice, make sure you replace any worn bushes, shocks before the SUM calibration. Else it will have to be done again.

The calibration will also correct your headlamp alighnment in relation to the ride height sensors at the rear of the car.

Or (and) you could put lightweight 17" wheels on it :)