PDA

View Full Version : My T4 (Heather)

pacman67
Saturday 4th February 2012, 16:57
As a fairly new member here id introduce my car. This is my fourth volvo having owned V40 D, S40 2ltr, V70 XC, and now my V40 T4 P1.
Background of the car is, i bought about a year ago advertised as spares, owner was going to break her.
Picked it up full exhaust missing and studs snapped off in the turbo.
The project started, and the list got longer and longer.
Fitted a p2 cat and exhaust, once i,d drilled out studs etc, lots of manifold gaskets and oil and water seals on the turbo and return pipe. Car had been stood for long time so all water systems were flushed out, engine and washer which was like a swamp. Had lots of new stuff, wiper arms, alloys, tyres, brakes, rears were heavily corroded, black bezel lights, smoked side markers with leds, fin aerial, prob other stuff too. Shes 1998, dont know what the colours called, with 55k. Anyway a few newer pics attached here, http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39728, with newer alloys and new roof rails.

mitchyboy01
Saturday 4th February 2012, 17:41
Nice one mate. Looks like you have been busy! 55k, you have prob the lowest mileage t4 here lol. Nice to see another T4 on the forum!

antz
Saturday 4th February 2012, 19:13
55k!? Jesus!

pacman67
Sunday 5th February 2012, 16:01
Thanks guys, yes took me a bit of work, but worth it i think. Next i ,m thinking of lowering, and a custom exhaust.

AndysR
Sunday 5th February 2012, 16:10
That's certainly very low mileage. Sounds like you've got yourself a good rare car :)

pacman67
Sunday 5th February 2012, 16:24
That's certainly very low mileage. Sounds like you've got yourself a good rare car :)

Dont know really, do you think so. Not seen another in the colour, i know from the supplying dealer back in 98 it may have been their demo, then sold as a 99 T reg a year later. They also tell me it had interior upgrade, info centre/cruise. It is low for the age and i think ive only done 1k in it so far, shame its not got a full history, as ive no idea about the timing belt.

Haizum74
Monday 6th February 2012, 15:49
I will say as well that this T4 kept up with T5monkeys S60 IIRC when we were driving up to the pub not so long back. Whether that was Ben playing nice, who can say lol. Def a nice motor.

pacman67
Monday 6th February 2012, 22:14
Thanks again, yes Hazuim, that did put a smile on my face, even if the monkey was teasing ??
I still am not there with this car, there is something not 100% about the steering, it seems to have a bit of play now and again. Had it checked out last weekend and it seems theres a tiny bit of lift in the bottom ball joints, which only showed up with some vigerous rocking of the steering, So i need to source a pair of wishbones.
Going back to timing belts, im not sure whats best, cant afford a garage bill, willing to have a go (scared ?), belt only very cheap, or volvo kit £65. Stereo not right either cant get decent sound out the rear.
Whats the opinion on 25mm drop.
Too many questions ? sorry.

Haizum74
Monday 6th February 2012, 23:15
Thanks again, yes Hazuim, that did put a smile on my face, even if the monkey was teasing ??
I still am not there with this car, there is something not 100% about the steering, it seems to have a bit of play now and again. Had it checked out last weekend and it seems theres a tiny bit of lift in the bottom ball joints, which only showed up with some vigerous rocking of the steering, So i need to source a pair of wishbones.
Going back to timing belts, im not sure whats best, cant afford a garage bill, willing to have a go (scared ?), belt only very cheap, or volvo kit £65. Stereo not right either cant get decent sound out the rear.
Whats the opinion on 25mm drop.
Too many questions ? sorry.

Yeh he could have been ;-). I found this Timing Belt DIY (http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/engine_repairs/v40_s40_timing_belt_change.html), any use to you?

I reckon a 30mm would be fine too. Thinking of doing mine at some point. Well, the mechanic I go to would do it hopefully although he doesnt want me to lower it lol

pacman67
Tuesday 7th February 2012, 21:57
Thanks bud, i think i,m going to do this asap.