PDA

View Full Version : T4 Remap - info and advice please

antz
Friday 3rd February 2012, 23:14
Now Ive been discussing with my mate about possibly getting my T4 mapped.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

I would love the extra 35bhp but I dont fancy the V-Power prices so would it be worth getting it mapped and running it on normal Shell Unleaded or is that wasting my money/time on a remap.

Also......where would be a good place for a remap. Any recommendations?

ta peeps!

siamblue
Friday 3rd February 2012, 23:20
HI Antz, i think you will find the p2 t4's should run on 98ron as standard it was the 2.0t that can run on the 95 ron fuel,
The siemens ecu's are a PITA to map mate, not many people can map them..

There's a place in Cornwall that can do them for £300, Don at Kalmar Union does the MTE for about £330 IIRC,

Gary

LiamT4
Friday 3rd February 2012, 23:21
Getting it mapped and running on 95 isn't worth it imo.

Personnally i would use 99 in any t4/t5/R even if its not been modified.

What gary says, i'm sure thats what it said for my t4 on the petrol cap - 98 recommended.

antz
Friday 3rd February 2012, 23:22
I did run mine on V-Power for a few months and then the prices just got too stupid. I worked out I was getting 8 miles more to a tank of fuel and it was costing about £5 more every time.

Not it gets normal Shell fuel and only Shell. Tried Morrisons once on a fuel light dash one day and it did nothing but throw a hissy fit until I used Shell again.

antz
Friday 3rd February 2012, 23:33
Just been reading online about T4 fuels and people are saying that it MUST run on 98ron otherwise it retards the engine and can cause pre-detonation which is big problems for the car.

Ive ran mine on shell unleaded for over 2 years now....am I honestly really causing damage or is that just people preaching a big rumour about what happened to a guy someone knew that someone knew that read on the internet about a man that someone knew?

If V-Power wasnt so expensive Id run it on that all the time. It did feel slightly more responsive but every time i filled up at the pump it was a nice big kick in the nuts :(

Haizum74
Saturday 4th February 2012, 00:03
It does indeed say 98 ron on the petrol flap, saw it the other day. I run mine on normal, was only last week I put sainsburys premium in and I didnt notice anything different at all. Is that 3 ron really going to feck the engine?

Link to someone who piggy backed theres. Linky (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=39293)

Al115
Saturday 4th February 2012, 08:43
You don't need V-Power. Any 98 or better will do - Tesco Momentum or example. Saves a few pennies a litre.

antz
Saturday 4th February 2012, 09:10
You don't need V-Power. Any 98 or better will do - Tesco Momentum or example. Saves a few pennies a litre.

Where I live the Tesco garage is 20miles in Bridlington and I never ever go there as its 20miles in the wrong direction. Id use V-Power as thats the only local high quality petrol station in the area and happens to be right on my drive to work. :)

mitchyboy01
Saturday 4th February 2012, 09:42
Have a read of this matey

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/17496-piggyback-ecus-custom-maps-dynojet-cmd-units-etc-etc-info-needed/page__fromsearch__1

mitchyboy01
Saturday 4th February 2012, 09:46
It does indeed say 98 ron on the petrol flap, saw it the other day. I run mine on normal, was only last week I put sainsburys premium in and I didnt notice anything different at all. Is that 3 ron really going to feck the engine?

Link to someone who piggy backed theres. Linky (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=39293)

I haven't done mine yet but my link shows someone who has unichipped theirs with success. I was quoted Unichip q+ piggyback ecu, supplied, fitted and mapped for 550+vat. If it works it's a bargain and it's proven to work. The guy I'm going to use is Richard Berg from redline tuning Basildon.

The can custom map for any hardware mods ie turbo, injectors etc. And the unichip is easilt reversible if you want to remove it from the car for sale etc

Mitch

antz
Saturday 4th February 2012, 16:07
sounds far too much hassle tbh. If it was a simple remap with nothign else needed that'd be ace but I cba with piggybacking.

mitchyboy01
Saturday 4th February 2012, 16:17
sounds far too much hassle tbh. If it was a simple remap with nothign else needed that'd be ace but I cba with piggybacking.

Get a generic map mate which should take you to 230 but bare in mind that your injectors will be almost 100% DC. The problem I'm having with my ecu is from factory it stays closed loop even at WOT til 4500rpm so AFRs are 14.7:1 until then, then they suddenly richen to 12:1.

antz
Saturday 4th February 2012, 19:15
You've lost me there mate. I know absolutely jack about ecu's, electronics and that sorta thing. Im used to a world where a pair of Weber twin 40 carburettors is the norm haha.

All I want is a generic remap but want to know peoples experiences of them. Im not fussed about going for any more power because I like the car as it is. Its only mod is a k&n cone, heatshield and a cold air feed. I dont plan on taking it any further but a map might just finish it off nicely :)

mitchyboy01
Saturday 4th February 2012, 19:22
Hi mate, Phone don from kalmar union. He sells MTE generic maps which are supposed to be very good for the modest gains you would like mate.

antz
Saturday 4th February 2012, 19:28
Now that sounds like a plan. Cheers :)

lurchio2
Sunday 5th February 2012, 11:17
Get a generic map mate which should take you to 230 but bare in mind that your injectors will be almost 100% DC. The problem I'm having with my ecu is from factory it stays closed loop even at WOT til 4500rpm so AFRs are 14.7:1 until then, then they suddenly richen to 12:1.

What do you mean when you say at 230 bhp the injectors will be almost 100% dc.

p fandango
Sunday 5th February 2012, 11:25
What do you mean when you say at 230 bhp the injectors will be almost 100% dc.
the injectors will be almost constantly open to supply the fuel required for the 230bhp, recommended duty cycle is around 80%

nosh
Wednesday 8th February 2012, 14:15
Now Ive been discussing with my mate about possibly getting my T4 mapped.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

I would love the extra 35bhp but I dont fancy the V-Power prices so would it be worth getting it mapped and running it on normal Shell Unleaded or is that wasting my money/time on a remap.

Also......where would be a good place for a remap. Any recommendations?

ta peeps!
hi mate,
try this company cause there aint much they dont know about remapping and they will tell you if its worth while and what your gains would be.
AET MOTORSPORT (richard) - WAKEFIELD - 01924228042
hope this helps...............

T4Rick
Sunday 27th May 2012, 22:01
Have a read of this matey

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/17496-piggyback-ecus-custom-maps-dynojet-cmd-units-etc-etc-info-needed/page__fromsearch__1

This unichip seems good where are they based the place that wingaero was on about

Slomo
Monday 28th May 2012, 10:45
Hamish at HLM Bromsgrove did my remap on my T4. Superb job. After 2x modballs, 1x Blue label challange, La Mans 24h and many shows in Europe with 215k on the clock and still going I am really happy with it :)

Slomo

madness
Monday 28th May 2012, 16:28
i used standard tesco or esso/total all the time but stuck to total 97 premium , tesco super 99 or similar when on nos down the strip.
although it can run ok on standard in my own opinion and experience there is definately a marked difference in bhp.

this was all with hamish's standard rica map.

Haizum74
Monday 28th May 2012, 17:43
i used standard tesco or esso/total all the time but stuck to total 97 premium , tesco super 99 or similar when on nos down the strip.
although it can run ok on standard in my own opinion and experience there is definately a marked difference in bhp.

I was told that without a map normal unleaded is fine and with a map then go super. If am honest I use Sainsburys Super Unleaded all the time now(not mapped) and it has been fine with it and decent mileage when I dont have a heavy foot although not notcied much difference. What gains did you get on the remap? Obviously each car is different, just wondered.

lozccw
Monday 28th May 2012, 20:59
Get a generic map mate which should take you to 230 but bare in mind that your injectors will be almost 100% DC.

Is this the case with all of the T4 injectors?
Because I have heard that the red injectors flow alot more than the other injectors? (which my T4 has)

smithy
Monday 28th May 2012, 21:14
Is this the case with all of the T4 injectors?
Because I have heard that the red injectors flow alot more than the other injectors? (which my T4 has)

Red injectors are too small

lozccw
Monday 28th May 2012, 21:17
Red injectors are too small

I thought that they were the highest flowing of the standard T4 injectors?
Which ones are the best to be running with a remap, or are all of the standard T4 ones too small?

LiamT4
Monday 28th May 2012, 21:27
I thought that they were the highest flowing of the standard injectors?
Which ones are the best to be running with a remap, or are all of the standard ones too small?

the greens from the s60/v70r are fastest flowing of the volvo injectors and a lot bigger than the reds. But the better option is the vxr injectors as these a bigger still, yet they can usually found for less cash.

Haizum74
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:31
the greens from the s60/v70r are fastest flowing of the volvo injectors and a lot bigger than the reds. But the better option is the vxr injectors as these a bigger still, yet they can usually found for less cash.

Are the greens 440?

T4Rick
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:43

Is your car mapped for nos or did you just fit it and off you go type of thing?

lozccw
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:51
Does anywhere do a good +35bhp or so map that can be run safely all year round with standard injectors/turbo etc? (Daily drive!)

I was personally looking into the bsr map for mine, but It might have to wait if i need to upgrade other stuff first.

LiamT4
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 19:01
Are the greens 440?

440 or 465cc i think.

but they will vary depending on what fuel pressure the car is running.

960kg
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:04
Bosch 0 280 150 558 injectors green ones 441cc work in a Phase 1 T4

Bosch 0 280 155 968 are S60R injectors 465cc But wrong OHM`s

danny1
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 09:57
my t4 is a phase 2 and its been mapped by ashook and Don(MTE) and I've got standard turbo and injectors. It runs lovely on 18-19Psi and I use it daily:) and it's a Big difference then just turning up the boost like I had done before

Haizum74
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 12:21
my t4 is a phase 2 and its been mapped by ashook and Don(MTE) and I've got standard turbo and injectors. It runs lovely on 18-19Psi and I use it daily:) and it's a Big difference then just turning up the boost like I had done before

Can I ask how much the remap was and was it mapped specifically to your car?

danny1
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 14:58
I think it was 450 and ashok read the ECU while speaking to Marco MTE sweden. Then the file was sent by email to Marco. Then 10 min later new mapp was recieved that was written for my car by email. Well he knew everything I had changed on it ie mods. Then ashok flashed the ECU and loaded up the new mapp, stage 2. All of courtesy of Don Kalmar union and Pyaap (Ashok)

T4Rick
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:24
I think it was 450 and ashok read the ECU while speaking to Marco MTE sweden. Then the file was sent by email to Marco. Then 10 min later new mapp was recieved that was written for my car by email. Well he knew everything I had changed on it ie mods. Then ashok flashed the ECU and loaded up the new mapp, stage 2. All of courtesy of Don Kalmar union and Pyaap (Ashok)

Oh this is very interesting.How many stages of maps is there?whats involved in a stage 1,2 and 3then

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:05
Ashok is a very helpful guy. The main problem is getting both Marco and Ashok at their pc at the same time. I was on the verge of getting mine done, but then found Marco is away til mid July. Don is very helpful too. I've spent the money now but will be on the case again once I've done a few more mods to the T4. Now it's a second car I don't need to rush it which is nice.

danny1
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 07:28
Yeah its was a big effort to get them all in one place at the same time:) And yeah Ashok is a really helpful guy and there is nothing he doesn't know about a T4.
Stage 1 is a standard remapp and a stage 2 when its been mapped to 3 inch down pipe and exhaust

T4Rick
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 19:14
Yeah its was a big effort to get them all in one place at the same time:) And yeah Ashok is a really helpful guy and there is nothing he doesn't know about a T4.
Stage 1 is a standard remapp and a stage 2 when its been mapped to 3 inch down pipe and exhaust

Wow sounds interesting whats a stage 3 then and do you have any pics of your motor?

danny1
Thursday 7th June 2012, 20:25
I haven't really got any good pictures but here's one :)

madness
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 13:12
sorry everybody have been away .

to answer your questions, it was a generic rica remap nothing special with +35bhp but i did do some fine tuning of nos jets to make sure the air fuel was correct which is always required.