PDA

View Full Version : Revving at own will ????

peteT5
Friday 3rd February 2012, 12:10
After a dead battery issue and my clocks all sowing on me! She has decided to start revving her self randomly on tick over also fan switching it self on on start up?? Could this be down to the fact that I haven't replaced the clocks yet? Oh and just to make matters little worse not boosting at 1 bar decided to hold out at 0.7 ish! And ideas peeps?

Dangerous Dave
Friday 3rd February 2012, 12:18
Have you checked all the intake piping for leaks?

Also there could be a problem with the Idle Control Valve sticking open (causing the revving)

And what's wrong with the clocks?

peteT5
Friday 3rd February 2012, 12:26
Have you checked all the intake piping for leaks?

Also there could be a problem with the Idle Control Valve sticking open (causing the revving)

And what's wrong with the clocks?

What's the best way to check for leaks? Ive looked at the pipes and there is no visual breaks etc.

Were do I locate idol control valve and what's best poss remedy?

Clocks are caput! Checked all fuses, relays and ignition, all appear to be fine so think I just need to replace them??

Mongo
Friday 3rd February 2012, 17:02
Check your vac aswel my tree split and that happend to me!
For boost leak either go to your local roling road place and they do a dye test for leaks if not block up your airfilter with a aerosol can or somthing make sure its tight loads of jubilee clips!!!!! Also block off dump valve to and using a compressor fill your boost pipes with the psi your running. Spray soapy water and check for bubbles if its major you will hear it.

Dan850r
Friday 3rd February 2012, 17:32
Youll have a leak out of the hole at the bottom of the intercooler, its meant to be there

Mongo
Friday 3rd February 2012, 18:52
[QUOTE=Dan850r;458785]Youll have a leak out of the hole at the bottom of the intercooler, its meant

O yes block that too lol

AndysR
Friday 3rd February 2012, 22:25
If the fan is cutting in on start up I'd say that the ecu is going to fail safe due a fault somewhere. I wouldn't mind betting it's an intermittent fault which is causing your intermittent reving too.. Is the battery in good condition and well charged? It maybe something simple like a poor earth to the battery or the battery/alternator is no good.

Shadow
Friday 3rd February 2012, 23:43
i had a similar problem with my car and it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor.

peteT5
Sunday 5th February 2012, 13:00
Cheers peeps for all your replys gona go through them this week and will let ya know of any remedy

peteT5
Monday 6th February 2012, 09:33
Just to add to injury :( when I start car up for first time in the day it's spluttering also if you try to accelerate it's like car gets starved of fuel or something and revs drop causing car to almost cut out? This lasts for approximately 5 minutes then runs fine also fault in engine electronic system light has came on any ideas ?

peteT5
Wednesday 29th February 2012, 14:02
i had a similar problem with my car and it turned out to be the coolant temp sensor.

Changed thermo T**T along with temp sensor about to top up coolant along with a brew and a quick prayer in the hope that we get a good result of no fan and random revving! Hope he's looking down on the beast today ;)

peteT5
Wednesday 29th February 2012, 15:04
I believe that to be a RESULT!! :D :D however fault light still on any ideas on getting rid of this or will it go off itself mmm?

glock19
Thursday 1st March 2012, 01:56
The DTC is recorded into the ECM. You'll need to remove ECM (or battery) for maybe an hour to clear it. If the car's in the shop, you can always erase it with a Scan Tool

About your clock, maybe some connectors behind the intruments are broken or dislodged. You'll need to open the top of the dash to check.

jayeastanglia
Thursday 1st March 2012, 12:38

where is the temp sensor on the 850 t5? and where is the fan switch? as my fan runs all the time and for about a minute once ignition is switched off

peteT5
Thursday 1st March 2012, 20:15
where is the temp sensor on the 850 t5? and where is the fan switch? as my fan runs all the time and for about a minute once ignition is switched off

That's sounds same problem I had sometimes the fan coming on at start to! The temp sensor is located underneath thermostat housing hence why I changed both thermostat and sensor. In my eyes saves a job in future. Resulting in no fan and running sweet again :D

peteT5
Thursday 1st March 2012, 20:24
The DTC is recorded into the ECM. You'll need to remove ECM (or battery) for maybe an hour to clear it. If the car's in the shop, you can always erase it with a Scan Tool

About your clock, maybe some connectors behind the intruments are broken or dislodged. You'll need to open the top of the dash to check.

Yea think ill disconnect battery for a while. The clocks them selves were actually broken so replaced them. This now clocks working, this pointed out to me that the temp sensor, with the gauge randomly changing along with fan on start up was faulty. Now all changed running sweet :D

jayeastanglia
Thursday 1st March 2012, 21:13
That's sounds same problem I had sometimes the fan coming on at start to! The temp sensor is located underneath thermostat housing hence why I changed both thermostat and sensor. In my eyes saves a job in future. Resulting in no fan and running sweet again :D

Dont suppose u know the oem part number as my localish parts place say theres 2 on there system..

t5_monkey
Thursday 1st March 2012, 21:49
Mine revs on its own everytime a BMW comes within 20 yards...

peteT5
Thursday 1st March 2012, 22:15
Dont suppose u know the oem part number as my localish parts place say theres 2 on there system..

The place I got parts from went off registration however number I had and gave them took them to same part which was 9186486.

peteT5
Thursday 1st March 2012, 22:21
Mine revs on its own everytime a BMW comes within 20 yards...

Strange that I loose total control of my sense's and right foot when my car's automated idiot in BMW sensor kicks in too :) lol

t5_monkey
Thursday 1st March 2012, 22:33
Have you noticed BMW drivers are getting more sensible nowadays ? I've noticed that...

peteT5
Friday 2nd March 2012, 21:04
Yea think ill disconnect battery for a while. The clocks them selves were actually broken so replaced them. This now clocks working, this pointed out to me that the temp sensor, with the gauge randomly changing along with fan on start up was faulty. Now all changed running sweet :D

Happy days went to my car this evening and by surprise without even disconnecting battery the ECU has noticed fault has been rectified and removed warning light happy days :)

Kingsford G
Friday 2nd March 2012, 23:09
Have you noticed BMW drivers are getting more sensible nowadays ? I've noticed that...

Not really.What happened?Do BMW`s come wiv an indicator switch as a basic feature now?lol

merc85
Friday 2nd March 2012, 23:19

Yep thats cus all the c***s drive audi's

Kingsford G
Friday 2nd March 2012, 23:24
Yep thats cus all the c***s drive audi's

U picking on my audis again lol